Front end clunk (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello all! I've lurked around here for quite some time and have gained so much valuable knowledge for both my 80 and 100 series trucks! With that being said I have searched extensively for a post that describes a front end noise like what I'm experiencing without much luck.

The truck is lifted and has OME torsion bars. The rest of the suspension components are stock and original to my knowledge and inspection with 275k miles. (UCA, diff drop and proper shocks coming with tax return!)

Over the last week my wife has been hearing a continuous clunk/thud in the area of the front driver side through low speed right turns and can be vaguely felt in the footwell. This has since developed into a continuous clunk/thud while accelerating from a stop until about 20 mph but only while under throttle. If you let off the throttle the noise instantly stops and resurfaces as soon as throttle is reapplied. It does seem to be related to wheel speed. I work out of town quite a bit with little time at home so I'm just trying to gather some thoughts from others to help me pinpoint the cause when I get back. We have the typical 100 series clunk with gear selector changes...this is not what I'm referring to.

Thanks for any and all help!

i promise if you just do a search for "clunk" you will find a more detailed answer, but:

-UCA/LCA ball joints are dead
- steering rack bushings shot
-CV spline to hub flange slop
- front diff bushings gonzo

I’m not a betting man whatsoever at all, but if I were, I would say front diff bushings. There are several of them so do a search to get more detail.

i promise if you just do a search for "clunk" you will find a more detailed answer, but:

-UCA/LCA ball joints are dead
- steering rack bushings shot
-CV spline to hub flange slop
- front diff bushings gonzo

Something else to add to the list would be dry U-Joints for the axles. Grease the joints well (along with slip yokes which only get pumps until you see the slip yoke move) and it may help lessen the clunk. While you are down there check the drive shafts/propeller shafts for any play.

I greased mine and the clunk lessened ever so slightly. But I have few of the aforementioned issues.
1. LOTS of hub flange play/backlash causing slop
2. CV Axles are aftermarket so who knows condition (both replaced June/July of 2018 according to records)
3. Upper ball joint boot is torn to shreds (testing tomorrow)
4. Front diff bushing has some good amount of movement. Will be replacing soon as well.

Lift, original front drive shafts, low speed, under load, more so in turns. I'd start by closely inspecting DS CV's of front drive shafts.

Thanks guys! This definitely gives me a good starting point when I get home. Until then I've got some more in depth reading to do. The whole aspect of not being constant and only happening with throttle applied is what threw me for a loop.

I'm still trying to learn the ropes of the IFS on these trucks so the insight is greatly appreciated!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom