Front differential is going out (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
'92 LandCruiser, 230K miles, driven mostly on paved roads:

My front differential is going out. The plug to check the fluid is rounded off since I don't know when. But you can hear and feel it grinding on sharp turns. Is this a common failure point?

What will this cost me in parts and labor to replace? I'm not very mechanical, so I'd have to take it to the shop.

On sharp turns? Is it a grinding or more of a clicking? Any clue when the front axle was last serviced? Do you have seepage/leakage at the front knuckles, right at the end of the axle?

Might be a birfield and not the diff.

Definitely get the drain and fill plugs on the differential operational so you can check/change the gear oil.

FYI, you can have a shop weld a nut on top of the rounded off one to get it out, then replace it. Sounds to me like the birfields as well if it is in sharp turns only. A ring and pinion problem will make more noise ALL the time, and spider gears would also result in more noise all the time.

Birfields can run pretty well straight, but with that high of mileage I would bet the bearing runs are all pitted out and they are making your noises. If you are saying the noise is bad...can you feel it popping/noises in the steering wheel?

If so, I would get it serviced ASAP.

when was the last time your front axle was rebuilt?

Your diff fluid may be leaking into your knuckles if your seals are bad, leaving your front diff low on fluid. Take your truck to the closest shop with a welder and have a nut welded onto the plug so you can remove it.

When it is off, see how much fluid you have in there. If the fluid level is fine change the fluid out since it will mostly likely need changing anyways, then see if you still have the noise, I doubt that is where the noise is coming from.

Since the noise is only in turns, I don't think it is your diff...but an easy place to start is where I mentioned above.

Other more experienced people will reply soon.

EDIT.......damn you guys type fast

Other more experienced people will reply soon.

I know you're not referring to me--I'm still in the DKS period, for the most part!

Sounds like it needs maintenance.
I'd put my money on noise coming from the birfs.
Get her fixed soon.

Alvaro

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom