Front axle leaking (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Walked my truck yesterday and noticed a nice pile of oil under the front axle. It appears to be coming from the gasket where the shaft meets the front diff.

I am guessing this requires removing the front axle pretty completely.

This has always dripped a little bit, but nothing like this. Maybe a quarter sized stain after a week. Any idea what would cause this gasket to fail? Maybe just being 40+ years old...

Here is a pic. The second pic makes it look like the drain plug is leaking, and it has a slight drip, but it really appears to me like the real volume is coming from the gasket to the right of it in the picture.

Any advice / guidance is greatly appreciated as always. Thanks everyone!

IMG_2373.JPG
IMG_2374.JPG

Try tightening the bolts up first if not just remove the diff centre and put a new gasket or gasket goo in there and torque back to specs

That sounds a lot easier than I anticipated. Can you slide a new gasket in there without removing a bunch of parts?

Drop drive shaft pull axles out and then drop diff centre

Wow, must be a bunch of experienced mechanics here today because I'm seeing an over simplification of dropping a front 3rd member. ;)

Have you been into an FJ40 front axle before? It's not hard, but it is time consuming. Try the 'cheap and easy' fixes first. IMHO, external fixes probably won't last long. :(

If it's leaking at the pinion seal and it doesn't have excess bearing movement I would replace the seal in place. Check for wear on the pinion flange. Wear on the flange either replace or get a speedy sleeve. Only way I would pull the diff if I needed to pull the carrier out. And then off to a shop to set it up. You gain nothing tearing the front axle apart unless you pulling the carrier.

I'd clean under there really well and get it dry so you can tell for certain where it's leaking.

Pm
Drop drive shaft pull axles out and then drop diff centre

This summary is the equivalent of "throw a set of rings in" to fix an engine burning oil.

@Steamer is right. Make certain you know where it's leaking from first.

Make sure it smells like gear oil and not engine oil from a leaky Valve cover gasket.

Wow, must be a bunch of experienced mechanics here today because I'm seeing an over simplification of dropping a front 3rd member. ;)

Have you been into an FJ40 front axle before? It's not hard, but it is time consuming. Try the 'cheap and easy' fixes first. IMHO, external fixes probably won't last long. :(

Pm

This summary is the equivalent of "throw a set of rings in" to fix an engine burning oil.

@Steamer is right. Make certain you know where it's leaking from first.

Make sure it smells like gear oil and not engine oil from a leaky Valve cover gasket.

Easy as to rebuild a front and rear end maybe 2hours 3 tops and that's plenty of time for some one who has done it before.

Yeah but that's right it's a summary the simple way to explain something. If it's the pinion seal count how many threads the nut os on and swap the seal with out removing the diff

I agree w/ steamer, Thoughly clean the diff top and bottom. Is the top of the diff wet too? It could be the engine leaking on to the diff.

The pinion seal can be replaced, however usually the seal leaks when the pinion gets loose so check the pinion to see if it has any lateral movement, that is an indication that the bearings are loose and need attention. Sometimes caused by lack of maintenance or hard on/off throttle when in 4wd. IMO you should spend a day with the diff and give er a full check up.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom