Front axle diagnosis (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi all.

I’ve been having some issues with my front left steering knuckle. Nothing has affected the driving, but I’m noticing a buildup/overflow of grease around this section of my car. It’s not being driven as I don’t want to create any more potential or unnecessary damage.

Looking around it seems as if my axle’s oil seal is shot and needs to be replaced. My guess is that the diff fluid is leaking through to the axle grease & thinning it out, causing it to escape around the knuckle.

I‘m tentative to rush into the rebuild before checking everything however, as it’s a relatively big job. I’ve had a look at the ventvalve which is ok, and looked into the levels of my diff fluid, which is where I’m confused by. The diff seemed at least close to full.

Do you all think I’ve made the correct diagnosis? Or because the diff fluid isn‘t close to empty, have I missed something?

Thanks in advance! And pictures for reference below.

F6562EAA-7684-45CB-BCBF-A0D8886F4859.jpeg

5742123A-C9EF-4DF6-A3BF-18DFC5B86320.jpeg

3AACE2D6-5D9D-41AB-BE14-B0956AF1B3BC.jpeg

Yeah that looks like the grease is contaminated with diff fluid. Normal to have a bit grease going past the wipers but this definitely looks like oil & grease.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom