Fridge prices have gotten ridiculous (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I looked into the Engel. Had amazing reviews but ended up getting the 101qt ARB Zero because they were able to deliver it this week. Price was $1799.20 including shipping. Pretty pricey but I’ve spent too many camping trips dealing with melting ice and soggy groceries. I’m betting this will be the most appreciated spend on my build … at least by my wife’s standards. Hey guys we can spend $1000’s on suspension and armor etc but if the wifey isn’t enjoying it then what’s the point.

I have a used Engel and a new"ish" ARB. The ONLY reason I "upgraded" to the ARB was for convienience and a little more volume. However, my Engel is just an amazing fridge. It cools like crazy and I've never had an issue with it. I even purchased it used.

I'm just saying that the Engel unit is a work horse and should probably outlast all of us.

Yup a standard old 45 quart Engel is like the FJ40 of fridges. Mine is 13 years old and works like the day I got it.

The Engle is literally the SA LandCruiser of the fridge world. Nothing fancy just works damned near forever.

This is the truth. I have an Engel 45 from 2003 bought new-still works perfectly.

I have another I bought used that is 30 years old. Still works perfectly.

Any other fridge, is less. That's my story and I'm sticking to it. This is a clear case where old school rules.

My bias is that anything with a display is going to suck in time. Land Cruiser have a time horizon of about 30 years. Your fridge should match that.

I had an ARB 63 classic ii then upgraded to a 101 dual.

Last edited:
Hi @Cruiserdrew

I’m sorry to hijack this thread, but I can’t seem to send you a personal message for some reason.

I’m in Sac and have a new to me 1997 FZJ80. I heard in another thread you’re active in the Sac area.

Could you do me a favor and identify good mechanics in Sac that I could trust with my LC?

I’m aware of Valley Hybrids and Gary at Mudrak, but they are both an hour away. I’ll probably go to them for more complicated stuff, but I was hoping to find someone more local too.

This is the truth. I have an Engel 45 from 2003 bought new-still works perfectly.

I have another I bought used that is 30 years old. Still works perfectly.

Any other fridge, is less. That's my story and I'm sticking to it. This is a clear case where old school rules.

My bias is that anything with a display is going to suck in time. Land Cruiser have a time horizon of about 30 years. Your fridge should match that.

No advantage to ARB Zero unless you plan on leaving in the outside elements. You rule that one out and lower your price hunt.
Get a higher end Dometic, Engal, ARB or Whynter and you won't be on the search, again, for another fridge.
You're going to get what you pay for with these overland fridges. Either in time or reliability.

Ive got an ARB (actually 2) and also have a smaller dometic. My ARB is more quiet and uses less power to keep cool. My Dometic draws down my battery considerably faster. FWIW.

++for the Engle, I bought one back in 2018 when our dollars were strong enough to get you a new one for well under 1K.

The detached cooling plate makes it more efficient than models with one built into the insulation.

Swing motor only has one moving part works fine up to 30 degrees. it does vibrate though.

Which vendors do you all like for Engel? I'm looking for a MT45F-U1CD-P. Also want a drop slide and I think I've settled on the Clearview Easy Slide ES-150 fitting my need, though I would prefer a slide out table combination unit. I've also come to the conclusion that not dealing with ice and soggy groceries will be worth $0.50 per drink and $5 per meal. That way I'm winning, one beer at a time.

Which vendors do you all like for Engel? I'm looking for a MT45F-U1CD-P. Also want a drop slide and I think I've settled on the Clearview Easy Slide ES-150 fitting my need, though I would prefer a slide out table combination unit. I've also come to the conclusion that not dealing with ice and soggy groceries will be worth $0.50 per drink and $5 per meal. That way I'm winning, one beer at a time.

Have you checked fitting? For example the ES150 is 24.4" wide.

Have you checked fitting? For example the ES150 is 24.4" wide.
It is quite a bit larger of a footprint than the fridge, but I havent found a better drop slide yet. If you know of something, please let me know.

It is quite a bit larger of a footprint than the fridge, but I havent found a better drop slide yet. If you know of something, please let me know.

There are only the 2 drop down makes that I know of, Clearview and MSA. MSA is near impossible to source, and availability is low on all makes.

Alu-cab tilt is in mine.

The drop downs like Clearwater are nicer when using the fridge, and the tilts are better if you want to remove the fridge to put gear in the cargo area.

i had an Edge Star 43qt.. it worked great when it worked up until it didn't. After a few replacement parts from the company the issues didn't get resolved. I went back to using a cooler. when it's hot out i wrap the cooler in blankets to keep the sun off of it. Blank idea worked great. i now have no issues just using the cooler for 2-3 night max 4 day trips. BUT if i were to ever man up and get another fridge, it would be an ARB

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom