Frame rust protection (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I want to get my truck sprayed but there isn’t anywhere that I know of that does it on the Vancouver Island. Hoping someone can point me in the right direction. I would do it myself but I don’t have the time or space. Thanks

Jeremy

Finer Details gave me the name of a couple shops that can prep your frame for painting. I can't recall which for sure, but there was one place in Esquimalt and I think the other might have been Transit. The owner?? has an old Jeep he rebuilt, and could possibly point you in the right direction.

Other than that, perhaps a body shop or another detailing shop.

I think my parents had their car done somewhere in vic. I'll check with them tomorrow if no ones piped up by then.

I couldn't even find somewhere to buy Krown locally, ended up getting a case off their website.

Comes in nice little spray bombs with straws that work in all positions.

Used ATF. Ya my truck drips a bit.:smokin:

I think my parents had their car done somewhere in vic. I'll check with them tomorrow if no ones piped up by then.

I couldn't even find somewhere to buy Krown locally, ended up getting a case off their website.

Comes in nice little spray bombs with straws that work in all positions.

Thanks for checking with the parents. I might just have to do it myself 😡

Thanks for checking with the parents. I might just have to do it myself 😡
No worries. I emailed them last night, we'll see if they remember.

they're rrrrrreally ****in' old. :lol:

This is where I bought the stuff. Goes a long way, I got the 6pack, think I only used 2 or 3 cans.

It creeps like crazy, but probably best to do it in warmer weather or a heated shop.

I have enough oil leaks my truck's under-side automatically protects itself from rust. :rofl:

But yeah, the Victoria area municipalities are way over-zealous with the brine IMHO. Makes anyone who's lived in the cold part of Canada shake their head. They've been using the brine a lot already when we had the colder weather in Fall. On dry roads LOL. :bang:

I have enough oil leaks my truck's under-side automatically protects itself from rust. :rofl:

But yeah, the Victoria area municipalities are way over-zealous with the brine IMHO. Makes anyone who's lived in the cold part of Canada shake their head. They've been using the brine a lot already when we had the colder weather in Fall. On dry roads LOL. :bang:

I bet there’s more than 200 ICBC insurance claims just on the one day a year downtown Victoria sees a dusting of snow. Its kinda amusing but imagine how bad It could be if they didn’t get a salt base down before any snow fell. Apparently a lot of people in Victoria don’t run decent tires, even the busses end up all over the roads and highways.

I knew a girl who moved here from Ontario who claimed she drove in packed snow for three months a year and was also making fun of Victoria drivers. Yep she destroyed her car in a single vehicle accident on the pat bay highway the first snow of the first winter she was here. There was Less than 1/2 inch slush haha but you know how it packs and gets an icy glaze to it. She never ran her mouth again.

Anyway back to rust prevention it’s easy to do yourself but do it in the late spring or summer so it has time to creep and seal itself to the frame.

Last edited:
I bet there’s more than 200 ICBC insurance claims just on the one day a year downtown Victoria sees a dusting of snow. Its kinda amusing but imagine how bad I could be if they didn’t get a salt base down before any snow fell. Apparently a lot of people in Victoria don’t run decent tires, even the busses end up all over the roads and highways.

I knew a girl who moved here from Ontario who claimed she drove in packed snow for three months a year and was also making fun of Victoria drivers. Yep she destroyed her car in a single vehicle accident on the pat bay highway the first snow of the first winter she was here. There was Less than 1/2 inch slush haha but you know how it packs and gets an icy glaze to it. She never ran her mouth again.

Anyway back to rust prevention it’s easy to do yourself but do it in the late spring or summer so it has time to creep and seal itself to the frame.

Don't get me wrong; I don't mind salt if there is snow in the forecast, or freezing rain. It's when they salt DRY ROADS for days on end just because the air is below freezing that I have a problem.

I know people from the rest of Canada laugh at us when we get snow. But the warm island snow is definitely more slippery than the dry interior snow without a doubt.

I want to get my truck sprayed but there isn’t anywhere that I know of that does it on the Vancouver Island. Hoping someone can point me in the right direction. I would do it myself but I don’t have the time or space. Thanks

Jeremy
I have been using Rustcure 3000 for a few years now. Used just about 2 cans on each vehicle the first year then every fall spray another can on each one. Creeps well. Canadian Tire sells the spray cans. Should be warm and dry to apply it. I am determined to get at least 20 years out of my vehicles and with the salt we see on the roads up here it's a bit of a challenge. 16 years and counting on our Sequoia.

So apparently, my parents were told someone on saltspring island does the rust treatment thing.

They didn't actually get it done, were just given a name by the body shop that fixed their Mercedes. Supposedly there's a name written on a bill somewhere, that may yet materialize...

Googling saltspring and rust treament I found this mostly non functional website , probably it.

Can't be too many of those dirty hippies over there that actually have jobs. :lol:

Rust Check Salt Spring Island, BC V8K 2S1 | BeepForService

Last edited:
I like this guys videos but considering how many products are out there, and he picks
off the shelf products. Good auto parts stores have a large selection, some
specifically designed for the conscientious DIY’r that I think he didn’t address. I have
to admit that Corrosion stuff was really impressive.
PG45ER where in this group does your stuff fall? Is it more of a wax type? I’ve not heard
of it. The stuff I used on the 60 was a wax based, but really a pain in the butt to apply

I like this guys videos but considering how many products are out there, and he picks
off the shelf products. Good auto parts stores have a large selection, some
specifically designed for the conscientious DIY’r that I think he didn’t address. I have
to admit that Corrosion stuff was really impressive.
PG45ER where in this group does your stuff fall? Is it more of a wax type? I’ve not heard
of it. The stuff I used on the 60 was a wax based, but really a pain in the butt to apply
I agree, in general he did a good video. I don't trust any product that supposed to be a one time application. Fine if you only keep a vehicle for 5 years but that's not me, at least not now with the price of the type of vehicles that I use :greedy:.
I pull out all the rubber plugs and get in with the straw the best I can and hit the know prone spots in the rear, the bottom seam of the doors under the lower seal, cab corners etc. I used to use Fluid film before the Rust Cure and initially I thought the Rust Cure was relabeled Fluid Film because it looks and applies very similar, more clear than yellow/brown though. Now that I've been using it for a while I find it creeps better and in the fall when I re apply I can still see where the previous years application crept beyond where it was sprayed and places where the Fluid film seemed to dry up there is still sign of the Rust Cure. Still nothing is going to last for ever driving for 4 or 5 months of the year in the spray of the sh*t they put on the roads up here. I've seen it rot in 6 inches inside the jacket of wiring that gets a nick or crack in it over a winter. I'm sure it must be Xenomorph blood from the creature in the movie "Alien" :skull:

Some follow up. A couple pictures of the bottom of the doors after last falls treatment withe the Rustcure 3000. Just got back from an 800k trip up to Dawson Creek & back and it was cold enough that the highways were mostly dry ( rare, usually sloppy, slushy salty crap these days) . You can see the dust on the over spray from the application to the bottom door seems with a half dozen or so runs through the car wash over the winter so far.
IMG_2619 (Medium).JPG
IMG_2620 (Medium).JPG

Do you put the Rustcure 3000 in the frame rails as well?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom