Frame repair - Considering Joining the ranks of rear inner C- Channel replacement

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
yup…My 85 needs some attention…I've searched and read all I can find on inner c-channel replacement…I've dropped the spare tire carrier and will drop the tank…It will be slow going for me as I have no heated space to work in…..

I too am interested in this procedure as my '89 has a similar issue. You're planning on just replacing the inner C-Channel of the rear frame? Can you link to where you're finding the replacement?

get some 3mm sheetmetal, cut out the rust, weld it shut and go offroading, why make it complicated?

I used 3 1/2" 3/16" square tubing - split it down the middle to make two C-Channels .. I did modify the ends toward the front to better fit the frame.

20141012_165127.jpg

20141012_165112.jpg

20141012_165054.jpg

20141012_165044.jpg

20141012_105545.jpg

20141012_105512.jpg

20141012_105458.jpg

It is not complicated, but imho it is a tough job.. It took a long time to drill all the rivets out. I tried to grind the heads off and punch out the rivets with very little success. I ended up drilling them all out.

There are some pictures in my build thread.

Cut an X in the hot rivet head all the way to the base... using a zip disc or dremel. Then use a big solid chisel and sledge hammer to pound the heads off. Then you can use a steel punch and pop the rivet out from this same side...careful they shoot out like bullets.

Or do it the easy way and get an air hammer with chisel attachment.

I like the hard way... feels old school :) especially after a few brews.

Note: WEAR PPE!!

I will have an insert/C-Channel kit available in a couple of weeks. In the R&D process now. I will post up in my "For Sale" thread the details when completed. My signature line has a link to my products.

Cheers,

J
Great News..

Good you dont have a heated space because the protection goggles will fog anyway, very tough job, it looks rusted but is very solid.
have fun, watch out for all the flying particles, I got one in my eye: for two days no sleep, doctor pulled it out, learned a lesson...

file.php

file.php

file.php

file.php

file.php

Those rivets are terrible! I started months ago and still havent got back to it. Look forward to seeing pics of this C channel kit

Those rivets are terrible! I started months ago and still havent got back to it. Look forward to seeing pics of this C channel kit

The rivets will still need to be cut/popped out. Will come bare metal and the option of Grade 8 steel or 18-8/304 SS hardware. No easy way to do this repair and keep it as close to factory as you can at the same time.

J

Grade 8 hardware is nuts for this application.

I like the kit!

Good you dont have a heated space because the protection goggles will fog anyway, very tough job, it looks rusted but is very solid.
have fun, watch out for all the flying particles, I got one in my eye: for two days no sleep, doctor pulled it out, learned a lesson...

file.php

file.php

file.php

file.php

file.php

after seeing this I'm never leaving Arizona with my Cruisers. It would take 100 years abandoned in an Arizona field to see that kind of damage

I just used 3/16 x 4" flat plate steel. welded top and bottom. This was a terrible design from the factory. I replaced steel with 5" channel all the way up to the front passenger spring hanger. 50 hours. done! What a bitch!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom