fourrunner trans.live help (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
did a quick search were do you find the older 5 speed filer plug on these rigs.i saw a 24 or 25 mill.at the top on the drivers side is this it.i believe it is low:eek: im hearing a noise like a rattle in 3 and 5th like its low or a noisey throwout bearing.thanks guys.and oh yea it shifts and graps perfect

Yes filler plug is on the drivers side about mid way and up near the top. Deffinately check that. FYI the throw out bearing should only be turning when the clutch pedal is pressed, same with pilot bearing. If it's 3rd and 5th that are making noise, and no other time... It's probably in the tranny. I don't know what if anything 3rd and 5th have in common inside though.

i figure when i fill it it will go away it just sounds like i hear the gears to a point .it shifts so perfect.:D thanks jared

just how good jared are these 5 speed trannys.just wondering should i bother with the tranny at all right now.other than filling it:D

What, you think I spelled my own name wrong? :D hehehe

The trannys are pretty good. If it's shot, Marlin Crawler has the best rebuilds you can buy for about 900 I think. These trannys can and do go 250k pretty easy. How many miles on yours?

well this rig was a auto sr5.last owner i believe changed to the 5 speed so really i dont have a clue.here is the thing it does not leak a drop anywhere.i believe when he put the tranny in he did not fill it up:eek: .but i do not feel any slop at all and no shutter in the tranny so i might not worry about it.just a little noise and i may fil it up and just go away.i hope.:D .its not that loud.just got me wondering about it when i came home today.i never heard it before because the exhaust was so loud.and yea sorry about the name.jared:flipoff2: :grinpimp:

ya thats all i use is the pump.painter uh:flipoff2: .thats all we do is drink cuss and use drugs right:D .no i do other things besides paint.SEX,SLEEP:D .no man my luck is s***y,this thing is trully rednecked.the parklights are wired tied in,the exhaust was trully short of ducttape.,the sunroof was not even bolted in,the radio does work when it takes a notion to.if it had a ant..found a good bit of bondo,no trans.fluid no rear end fluid to speak of have not even got to the front yet:rolleyes: .the list goes on.im surprised ive not found lawnmower spark plugs yet:flipoff2:

Ouch!!!!! Well, it is a Toyota, and they ARE hard to kill. I drove my old 86 pick up from CA to IN on a bad tranny input bearing.... When ever the clutch was engaged it would go "Whap whap whap... Luckily I only had to have the clutch engaged the whole way!!!! Whap whap whap whap whap....... The're tough.

i worry about everything.:eek: well here is the thing i dont know how much gear oil it holds but tonight ive put 5 quarts or so in it.and its much more:hillbilly: quiet:D

3rd and 5th are on the counter shaft and usally are the first bearings to make noise. Years ago toyota used ball bearings and had issues with early bearing failure. In the W5X series they updated to roller and it helped but still they are the first to complain. There are 3 main bearings on the counter shaft, I had to change mine twice, running big tires without a lower ring&pinion will do that!

I take back the roller bearing, I forgot that they just increased the size of the balls in the bearings.

Last edited:
3rd and 5th are on the counter shaft and usally are the first bearings to make noise. Years ago toyota used ball bearings and had issues with early bearing failure. In the W5X series they updated to roller and it helped but still they are the first to complain. There are 3 main bearings on the counter shaft, I had to change mine twice, running big tires without a lower ring&pinion will do that!
how long before it is undriveable ya guess

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom