Four-Core Radiator Part Number? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have a small leak in the radiator on my 81, and was toying with the idea of upgrading to a four core radiator while I'm overhauling the cooling system.

Anyone know the part #? I have two part numbers from Toyota Parts Deal (16400-49356 and 16400-61020), but I can't tell which has 3 cores, which has 4 cores, and the difference between the two part numbers.

Thanks!

16400-49356
Search is your friend. I just searched the first part number here in mud.

Does anybody know if this 4 core 16400-49356 radiator will be sufficient cooling for a 12HT engine? Cause a HJ61 radiator or a HZJ75 radiator is a very tight fit in a 40.

TIA

Note that the new HZJ75 radiator i bought has a bigger surface, but its a 3 core (i only noticed as i got home)
The second hand radiator i tried to fit first from the donor HJ61 is a 4 core, but does not cross flow as the inlet and outlet are both on the RH side.
Both these radiators can be made to fit but its too tight for my liking.

HJ61 radiator is too wide, it fits but tight on the LH side between the 60 steering box and front bib.
The HZJ75 radiator is too tall, it will fit but have to remove the radiator support brackets from the chassis to lower it, but then it will sit millimeters from the PTO driveshaft to the winch.

The old HJ45 radiator is a 3 core and is full of crap, to me it seems like the new 16400-49356 4 core is the best solution in a 45, what do you guys think?

I tried a 4 row core in my 2F powered FJ55 for 10 years or so. Not impressed. The tubes were smaller, thinner walled with thinner fragiler fins.
Went back to a 3 row core a couple years ago. Seems sturdier, more LandCruiserish. Cools just as well, though that's rarely a problem.

Reactions: flx

20210710_165723.jpg

1E9F60F6-BDF7-482A-82D4-6115C9B8291F.png

🤷🏻‍♂️

@65swb45 TPD regularly lists parts that are NLA. I quit clicking on any of their links and the 3rd time a searched a Toyota part.
That is good to know. I know very little about those online parts houses. Thanks for that. Which one did you link?

I have a small leak in the radiator on my 81, and was toying with the idea of upgrading to a four core radiator while I'm overhauling the cooling system.

Anyone know the part #? I have two part numbers from Toyota Parts Deal (16400-49356 and 16400-61020), but I can't tell which has 3 cores, which has 4 cores, and the difference between the two part numbers.

Thanks!
Was cheaper to have my old 3 core re-cored to 4, no figment issues and worked will.

I purchased the one Mark has shown above in 9/2020 from that vendor.
I've read here on Mud where a few folks have received radiators damaged in shipping from this vendor. Maybe I was lucky but mine arrived without a scratch.
I'm in the same state as the vendor so maybe there was just less handling.
I've heard City Racer LLC does an outstanding job of protective packaging on the same 4 core radiator.

In my experience the stock radiator in a HJ47 will keep a 12HT plenty cool enough, just gotta have the bottom hose outlet tweaked slightly by a radiator shop for proper fitment.

Theoretically a direct injection diesel such as 12HT puts less heat into the cooling system than an indirectly injected engine such as the 2H. No idea if that translates into any difference in real life.

Was/is the 2H HJ47 a 4 or 3 row radiator? I know has slightly bigger surface compared to a HJ45/FJ40 etc. radiator , but cant find a oem replacement 2H HJ47.

At least the new oem FJ40 4 row 16400-49356 radiator is thicker than the new oem HZJ75 3 row i have now. Ill probably return it and get a new oem FJ40 or a HJ47 unit if i can find one.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom