Found a potential 60. Your thoughts (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I live been on the market for my first LC fj60 came across an 87 fj60 drove it today motor seems to still run strong. Sounds like a possible exhaust leak. Breaks and steering look and feel like they need to be rebuilt. Motor seems to be leaking at rear main seal and power steering pump is making a growling noise when making turns. Inside looks decent carpet and rear seats need some cleaning nothing major. The owner is willing to drop the price to 11k. What are your thoughts? Worth it?

I would bring someone that knows what to look for being it's an out of state vehicle, RUST would be the biggest issue then smog equipment under hood if it even have any left. The smog parts alone are hard to find if it's no longer in the vehicle and those front seats are not factory. Good luck in your search.

I would bring someone that knows what to look for being it's an out of state vehicle, RUST would be the biggest issue then smog equipment under hood if it even have any left. The smog parts alone are hard to find if it's no longer in the vehicle and those front seats are not factory. Good luck in your search.
Sorry I forgot to mention it is a California truck it was only in Minnesota for 18 months. It has all the smog parts. It passed smog last time it was tested in 2013. The owner is the second owner of vehicle and has 20+ years of vehicle records.

X2 to above, rust and smog if in CA

looks like the rear hatch has rust, you can't see it as it is hidden by the rubber that holds the window in the hatch. but you see the rust trail coming down on the outside

roof rust would be the next big area of concern being it is in CA

passing smog in 2013 doesn't mean anything in 2022, my WAG is it won't without work.

dropping $4000 in price is an indicator, that is more than 25%

2013? Try getting it smog first before you consider moving forward it's 2021 now and I think the limits on tailpipe emission got tighter.

last tested in 2013...that's nine years ago. CA requires a smog test every two years. Technically vehicles sold in CA must be supplied with a passing smog test conducted by the seller. You should ask for that. I think it is difficult for a first time buyer to be able to tell that all the smog parts are there, let alone that they are working properly. I would really look for a vehicle that is (at least) currently registered in CA, if you are going to continue to register it here. Unless you are going for a CA legal engine swap, you will need all the smog components and they will need work properly to pass the test. Most, if not all, of the emissions parts are not available new or even rebuilt. You would be left trying to source something on the used market.

2013? Try getting it smog first before you consider moving forward it's 2021 now and I think the limits on tailpipe emission got tighter.
Thanks for the info. I did notice the rust, it has two small areas the one in the back hatch and right above the windshield wiper driver side. I would differently make sure it passes smog before buying. Her in California the seller has to smog before selling and it has to pass if not they need to fix issues before selling.

2013 is a long time since it’s last passed smog.
I would make sure it passes smog..
and everything is functional.
Looks like it need a lot of work and possible deferred maintenance needed.
It s good base to start but I would try to get it done some more.
Good luck!

hate to brk it to ya...but its 2022.

Most of the smog parts don't have to work they just have to be in place. I think the EGR valve is an exception. For instance you could pass the tailpipe emissions and fail test because of missing a VSV (Vacuum Switching Valve) or an incorrectly hooked up vacuum line. Another Mudder said it but it seems like California wants the revenue from smog compliance, if it helps the air OK but it is the huge amounts of money it generates that is the real goal. if not then just set the tailpipe limit appropriate for that year and let the owner decide how he wants to meet that standard. Lots of new cars are bought (State sales tax) because owners give up on getting old vehicle in compliance.

As for the SMOG test. Do not rely on the seller to get it done and provide you the results. Go with seller and observe the test. Pass/fail - know for sure.

As others have stated, even at $11K with the mileage you're looking at a lot of possible work. MUD is a great resource and can walk you through most of the emissions issues, if any, as long as all the components are there. Even though it was a CA truck most of it's life, it could've lived that next to beach for all you know. Check carefully for rust on Body and Frame.

284K miles is a LOT, even for a 2F, even well taken care of. Sure, you'll get peeps saying they've got 350K miles, but those are outliers. I see a rebuild or repower in your future.

Getting the truck smogged is a BIG issue in CA, particularly if you live one of the large Metropolitan areas run by Smog Naz- er, I mean, enviro-hypocrites, errrr, I mean, Dem- errrr, I mean, people who want you in an electric car in a State that has an Electric grid that can't even handle summer demand.

Oh, and those speakers in the cargo should be good for at least 20 extra HP :grinpimp:

Good luck.

Thanks for everybody’s input. Lot of things I guess I didn’t think about. Sounds like people thought I would buy a car prior to knowing if it passed smog lol I’m a newbie but come on lol. Thanks again guys for all the feedback

Thanks for everybody’s input. Lot of things I guess I didn’t think about. Sounds like people thought I would buy a car prior to knowing if it passed smog lol I’m a newbie but come on lol. Thanks again guys for all the feedback

you wouldn't be the first person to buy a rig without it being smogged.
we all just want to make sure you know the details involved, people move in and out of states not knowing the state regs where they live.

I say go for it. Body is pretty rust free, where I live it’s impossible to find examples like that!

It’s been hammered down here on this thread over and over and over again about the smog testing issue for these vehicles in CA.
It’s one thing to buy a 37 year old carbureted FJ60 in CA that somehow got a passing smog test certificate prior to the sale (bribes or a long time relationship with the smog tech can make it magically appear) but it’s an entirely different ballgame to own that said vehicle and have it pass a smog test every two years while you own it.
Even the “experts” on this forum who know the smog equipment top to bottom and can recite specifications out of the emissions manual, experience low grade (or mid grade) anxiety every two years on smog test day.
The smog situation for the FJ60 in CA is without question the worst part of owning these things.
It’s worse than rust or peeling paint or leaking oil.

Smog tests in CA for a FJ60 is a huge freaking deal, cuz if it doesn’t pass, you can’t drive the cruiser on the road.
If you have to park on the street (don’t have a private driveway) and you’re having trouble passing your smog test, might as well say goodbye to your cruiser cuz it’ll get towed and impounded for having expired tags on a public street.

While the FJ60 does have its certain charm, personally I wouldn’t recommend anyone buying one in CA UNLESS they have very good troubleshooting skills, have a garage they can work on it, (or driveway), have mechanical experience working on cars, and probably the most important… OWN A SECOND VEHICLE ALSO.

I live in CA. Owned my cruiser for 30 years - in CA.

So, @arod85, inquiring minds wanna know: did you get the FJ? I actually studied that truck's ad for awhile as I was looking for comps for the one I recently bought. Never saw it in person, but it seemed comparable. Of course we don't have the same rules and regs up here. Once a vehicle is 25+ years old, no more emissions check. I'll be curious to know if you get it, and if so, what sorts of work you do on it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom