For Sale Fort Valley, GA: 1972 Toyota FJ40 Trail Rig/Rock Crawler (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Year
Vehicle Model
  1. 40 Series
Mileage
Color
Silver
Outside Link
https://drwautosales.com/inventory/40259/view/1260/Fort%20Valley-GA/1972-Toyota-FJ40
If you're in the market for a cushy mall crawler to take your gam-gam to Sunday brunch, this ain't the vehicle for you! This 1972 Toyota FJ40 is the real deal, folks. It's old school, it's loud, it's raw and it's slow, but it's awesome! It's got a lifted heavy duty suspension, full roll cage, on-board air compressor, heavy duty axles with a front locker, brand new 33" tires, a WARN winch, auxiliary lights, low range transfer case, and more. It's not completely without creature comforts, as it does have power steering, an easy hydraulic clutch, a heater and lockable storage in the tailgate. The vinyl seats are weatherproof and in great condition. The 4.2L inline 6-cylinder engine is equipped with headers and mated to a 4-speed manual transmission. Also included is 2 sets of soft doors and a soft top. The odometer reads 4,624 miles, but is inoperative so the true mileage is unknown. Because of its age, the truck doesn't have a title. It will come with a bill of sale instead. Many more photos are available upon request.

1972_Toyota_FJ40_01.jpg

1972_Toyota_FJ40_02.jpg

1972_Toyota_FJ40_03.jpg

1972_Toyota_FJ40_05.jpg

1972_Toyota_FJ40_09.jpg

$22k seems reasonable but get it titled and raise the price.
I considered that, but GA doesn't make it easy. Plus I'd have the additional expense of having to pay the tax. Plus, if the new owner is also in GA, they'll have to pay the tax as well. My best estimate is that would add around $1500 to the price (for no real benefit).

Tax will be a bout $7 for it and anything older than 1995 in Georgia. As a Georgia dealer, you probably know that it isn't off of the sale price.

Tax will be a bout $7 for it and anything older than 1995 in Georgia. As a Georgia dealer, you probably know that it isn't off of the sale price.
Hmmmm. I'm not sure where that $7 tax amount came from? At a minimum the cost for a tag/title is $43 and Title Ad Valorem Tax (TAVT) is 6.6% of the sale price. The rules do tend to change, and I don't sell a lot of older vehicles, so I checked with my rep at the Dept of Revenue and was told that since it's more than 25 years old and doesn't have a standard 17-character VIN, that the TAVT would be calculated on the sales price instead of "market value" like they use for private party sales of "normal" cars. And as a Georgia dealer, I definitely know TAVT is calculated from the sales price for cars sold through a dealership. Maybe there is some confusion on the difference between a dealer sale and a private party sale? And maybe with a private party sale there is a way to reduce the TAVT on a titled vehicle that's more than 25 years old? At any rate, it was the DOR who recommended just keeping it on a bill of sale to avoid the vagaries and keep the transaction simple.

But if someone really, really wants a title I'll be happy to apply for one. Just be prepared to pay the TAVT and title fee. Or, there is nothing to stop a new owner from applying for a title themselves after the transaction.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom