For those who have one...Any buyers remorse with choosing BLACK (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Looking high and low for Land Cruisers. There seems to be a lot of Black on the Market. I love the Black and Tan look. But...Just not sure.

For those who are driving a black one...Any buyers remorse? Thanks

Not driving black **however** i love black... but in dallas, that's not an option i'm willing to entertain. the average temp in the summer is above 95 degrees and regularly goes above 100... in addition, my wife has a black MDX. it's scratched to hell. if you (or your significant other, perhaps) have to park in the tight spaces associated with daily kid-driven buying - such as Target, Kohl's, WalMart - or basically any grocery store in existence - the mere mention of these places will create scratches on a black vehicle... i quickly realized that black is impractical for me day-to-day.

if i could throw practicality out the window, it would have been be my first choice... because, well, there are very few choices in the 2016+ models and it is one of the sexiest colors (when clean), if i don't have to deal with the realities of life.

Last edited:
I have also never been able to pull the trigger on a black vehicle. I guess its a combination of having lived in the Southwest most of my life (Arizona and California) and having (self diagnosed) automotive OCD. I hate car washes - and black requires special attention to look good. Now I don't have the time nor energy in the Southeast to keep a black vehicle of this size clean.

But when they are clean - black is a nice, sophisticated color!

I have black and love it. I would absolutely buy it again. I love clean vehicles like everyone else and it really isn't as bad as I thought it would be (this is my first black truck and I came from a series of white and silver vehicles) I used to be real anal about keeping it clean now I just could care less and I clean it when I get the chance. It's a land cruiser, not some high end sports car, so if it's dirty I don't Care. The next one I get (possible the 2018 model because those stupid Rear screens are now an option) will be black too, I do like the dark grey too so it will be either one, but most likely black.

I'm like Sinister. I've always had every color except black before and now I chose the biggest vehicle I've ever owned to be black. :rofl:

I love the LC in black, but cleaning it sucks because it takes twice as long to do as my other cars even with the use of a foam gun and pressure washer. So now I just have my detailer come bother with it when it's filthy and bask in its glory for the 5 mins it's clean afterward.

Black is a double edged sword. No other color looks as amazing when it's clean, but it takes a lot of effort to keep it clean.

Black and tan is how I roll with all of my rides - default choice across the board

I just got rid of a black 300 SRT. It was beautiful but I never could deal with keeping it detailed. My biggest advice would be stay away from drive thru car washes. They will leave TONS of small scratches. If that isn't something that would bother you, go for it.

Love black. Definitely more work, but no other color compares when clean.

Silver and white are the easiest. White is too plain for me. I go silver when possible, but black is second.

Black in 2013 was non-metallic. I think the only non-metallic.
This is worth noting because the non-metallic colors are single stage, meaning they don't have a clear coat. Which means if it does get scratched up or oxidized and cloudy in the case of white, you can have a "cut and buff" done on it and it removes the scratches and oxidization and restores the luster. The clear coat is what brings out the metallic flake in the metallic paints. If clear coat ever starts to peel or get damaged it really has to be completely sanded down then repainted to fix it. This has been my understanding of all this and if Im wrong about any of this, someone please correct me.

image.jpeg
I like Grey

I merely meant that in 2013 that only black was non-metallic. Not my favorite but my choice because I am not a rhinestone kind of person. It does grow on you. I would call it honest. But a German taxi beige in non-metallic would be my first choice functionally. They simply do not show dirt.

This is worth noting because the non-metallic colors are single stage, meaning they don't have a clear coat.

Edit: generally non-matallic paints do have a clear coat also but evidently certain colors from Toyota do come without a clear coat.

black is a great color but get a power washer and a foam gun, you will need to use it often if you like to keep it clean.

s1_zpszdgx9doc.jpg~original

Last edited:
this is incorrect, non-matallic paints do have a clear coat, at-least they do from the factory.

EDIT: Not the case with Land Cruisers. My previous post was pertaining to LCs, and none of the LCs with non-metallic paint have clear coat. The 60 Series Red, White (033) or Blue (8B7) and (8B2), the 80 Series Super White 045 or Black (202), 100 Series Natural White (056) or Black 202 and 200 Series Super White 040 and Black 202 do not have clear coat. All the other colors are metallic and have clear coat.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom