For 10 Years of Ownership, LC or LX? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi Everyone,

100 Series owner here. Have owned two 100 Series (currently a 2005 LC and previously a 1999 LX) and one 80 series. Love me some Land Cruisers.

My other vehicle is a lousy, good for nothing, loud, unreliable, cheaply built Escalade. It's time to ditch that piece of junk and get a 200 Series. I've read tons of threads about LC vs LX 570, and I'm no closer to a decision on which one to get than I was before. I'd very much appreciate your insights.

The 200 would be a daily driver for either me OR the wife. (Currently, we're at war about who gets to keep driving our 100 Series when we get the 200. It's hilarious to me that a little blond with three kids would insist on driving a 100 Series with BIOR front and rear bumpers, but that's what I'm up against at the moment.) We'd almost surely keep the 200 for about 10 years or more. I'm leaning heavily toward a 2013 due to the facelift. Plus, a 2008 is already 8 years old and would be pushing 20 years old by the time I get rid of it (assuming I could bring myself to do that anyway!).

Certainly 99% of the miles would be commuting to the office, but we have an affinity for light offroading. No crawling, no river crossings...mainly just dirt roads and the occasional mud or low-water crossing.

I like the look of armored 200s, and I see that ARB offers a bull bar for the LX. That and a roof rack is about all I'd do to any 200, other than better tires (and ditching the 20's on an LX).

So, my question for the collective wisdom of the forum is this: Given how we'd use the vehicle, and given that I want something that'll be the most reliable for 10 years or so, which direction should I lean - LC or LX? I assume that even the AHC on the LX would handle the addition of an ARB front bumper, right? I know sliders are out on the LX. I also worry about the longevity of the AHC given some of the issues they had on the 100s (though my 1999 LX had a flawless AHC system even after 15 years). I suppose the LX's don't have hundreds of thousands of miles on them yet to tell whether or not the AHC is truly long-lasting.

If it weren't so hard to find a clean LC, I'd just go that route for simplicity's sake. And, I don't really want to drive a Lexus. I'm more of a Toyota kind of guy. BUT, the LX's are SO much easier to find, and from what I can tell they're better maintained. I just looked at a TOTALLY TRASHED 2010 LC today. Toyota CPO, too. Heck, they hadn't changed the oil yet, and the dipstick had grit on it. Crazy.

I'll stop rambling there. Thanks a bunch for your help.

Matt

I guess given they are essentially the same vehicle with added complexity on the Lexus, I'd lean toward a well maintained and simpler LC over the Lexus every time. But, 10 years isn't that long so either way you are likely safe.

I've been doing research on this. I'm leaning heavily towards the LX.

The AHC in the 570 is quite robust, much more so than the previous LX. It's also tied more deeply into the vehicle dynamics both on and off-road. As for adding weight with bumpers and whatnot to the 570 AHC, maybe an AHC expert can chime in but from what I gather some heavier springs to even out the AHC pressures and you'll be golden.

Here's a Toyota video about the newer AHC system

I had the same decision to make with similar driving habits. One addition is that I have a 5000# travel trailer. Was leaning towards an LC since the air suspension would have auto-leveled me when towing, plus they're more readily available (Toyota makes about 3x the # of the LX vs LC in the US) and if you find one certified they come with a 3 year bumper-to-bumper warranty along with the 100k powertrain.

In the end I bought a 2013 LC because (a) the price was right (CPO 2013 LC was $1k less than a CPO 2011 LX), (b) the 2013 LC has almost all the same features as the 2011 LX (aside from the air suspension and a power operated trunk), (c) I kind of prefer more unassuming Toyota badge, (d) I think the mods I'd might do (similar to you) such as ARB bumpers look better on an LC, and (e) the LC has a higher towing capacity. Also, 87 octane is nice. The trade-off is that if I don't lift I'll likely end up buying a set of Firestone air bags for the rear, and my 13 year old shepherd could probably use the 2" drop the LX would provide when parked. I drove both and I think the LX soaked up the city potholes/patches in comfort mode slightly better than the LC, but otherwise I saw little difference.

I suspect if you're not planning to lift or add sliders you'll be happy with either. I've seen LX's for sale with ARB front bumpers and roof baskets, so those will fit. I wouldn't buy armored unless you're actually planning to drive in places where you might need it since the added weight is going to hurt performance and mileage and limit what you can carry.

FWIW I couldn't find a lot of complaints about the 200-series AHC when I was looking.

If it were me...the choice would come down to your intentions for the vehicle.

LC:
If you plan to do significant modifications (sliders, lift, drawers and more), the LC makes more sense, since you might end up removing the extra features you pay for in an LX such as the automatic third row seats and the AHC.

LX: If you plan to leave it stock? LX is great because you can still raise/lower suspension & the 3rd row is great for frequent use.

Personally, the main appeal of the series is what it can become with mods.
So the LC would always be my choice.
But its your truck and your use... ;)

Last edited:
Many thanks, guys. So what I'm gathering is that, for the most part, the LC would be a safer bet...less complexity and easier time modding later if I choose to do so. But the LX is a reasonably good choice as well... Just limiting in terms of mods and more expensive (typically) to purchase...mechanically reliable for my level of use,too. I like leaving options open... Who knows what I'll want to do with it in 5-10 years...and I'd be upset if I had an LX that I couldn't modify easily. So, I'm leaning toward a LC...but they're so hard to find. Patience is a virtue though! If I see the right LX, maybe I'll jump on it. But I think the LC would be a better choice for us at the moment.

Thanks!
Matt

Many thanks, guys. So what I'm gathering is that, for the most part, the LC would be a safer bet...less complexity and easier time modding later if I choose to do so. But the LX is a reasonably good choice as well... Just limiting in terms of mods and more expensive (typically) to purchase...mechanically reliable for my level of use,too. I like leaving options open... Who knows what I'll want to do with it in 5-10 years...and I'd be upset if I had an LX that I couldn't modify easily. So, I'm leaning toward a LC...but they're so hard to find. Patience is a virtue though! If I see the right LX, maybe I'll jump on it. But I think the LC would be a better choice for us at the moment.

Thanks!
Matt

To make the case for the LX (both are good choices though):

An '08 LX really not all that more complex than a '13 LC. The AHC and a few small things like motorized rear hatch, that's all I can think of. On the plus side you get a much better interior, many features on the '13 LC are already on the '08 LX for $15k less, and a better dealer service experience.

To compare prices on a decent '08/'09 LX to a decent '08/'09 LC you're looking at 3k-5k more for the LC and much fewer to choose from nationwide.

ARB front bumpers have been done to an LX, I don't know of a rear being done. If I end up with an LX, we'll find out though.

Most lifts people put on their LC are around 2". The AHC does that for you, however only at lower speeds and in 4Lo.

From my research, both are equally absurdly reliable.

Good points, TonyP. It's very interesting to me that the '08 LX has some of the more advanced features they later starting putting on the LC. Might be nice to find an '08-'09 LX for a lot less than I'd pay for a comparably equipped, later-model LC. Decisions, decisions...

Matt

ARB front bumpers have been done to an LX, I don't know of a rear being done. If I end up with an LX, we'll find out though.

A little internet search led to this:

eQ_800.jpg

3ca02d59.jpg

6e388074.jpg

Now, I'd've painted them to match the car but to each their own. I'm still trying to find a TJM T13 on a 570.

Top 4 reasons I chose the LC

1.Reliablitly
2.Family tourer
3.easy to mod
4.unassuming

If I 'were' to looking into an SUV with more about styling, luxury with off-road seriousness my choices would be

1. New G550-most likely wait to see what 2017 brings before pulling the trigger
2.Range Rover SC
3.LR4 'maybe' lacks power for my taste

The LX is very nice but the exterior styling looks a little bloated for my personal taste and the 2016 LC would be my hands down choice over the LX

One other thought... The LX comes with 20" wheels, which are a pretty poor choice for off-roading.
You want maximum rubber that can be aired down if necessary, and 20" wheels mean less rubber...and more prone to damage.

If you get the LX, one of the very first suggestions would be to replace the 20" wheels...unless you only intend street use, or very mild off-road.
The LC comes with acceptably decent 18" wheels. Many put 17" wheels on (as I did).

Anyway... Just food for thought. ;)

I went with the LC. I didn't want the complexity of the AHC and powered third row.

I also don't want 20" wheels. Big wheels are just dumb all in every way, IMNSHO. They are heavier, so they add unsprung weight. The shorter sidewall also increases ride harshness. On road they are more likely to be bent on a pothole. Off road, you are more likely to puncture a tire. On the beach, the taller sidewall of a 17" or 18" tire will help the tire spread out more when you air down, making it less likely that you will get stuck.

What's the most common wheel guys are using when they ditch the 20's on an LX? And what's the cost? (Not for the tires, but for just the wheels.)

Thanks! Which tires (size, too) did you get?

Oh, and any pics?

Sure - The size is the standard 285/70R17 that came with the Rock Warrior rims. They're tack-offs from the Tundra Rock Warrior package.

I've got a thread for my shenanigans with the install. Pictures on the second page and mistakes which I talk about:
2013 LX 570 Rock Warrior Install

I was just about to post your rig.

BTW are those pics on "Normal" height or "low"?

I was just about to post your rig.

BTW are those pics on "Normal" height or "low"?

The height was at normal and I've got zero rub. The tires are at about 50-60% tread remaining though. I do use the easy access all the time due to my wife and daughter. Even with being in the low setting I've not experiences any rub. Though I'm not putting full lock as I'm leaving the garage.

I made the choice to get a new 2016 LC over an LX. The main reason? Price. I couldn't justify spending basically another 20K for a Lexus badge, power folding seats, and air suspension. I previously had a Range Rover sport, and I don't think I would go back to another "flashy" type of car again. The air suspension will fail in <10 yrs, the 20" wheels make the vehicle less capable in non-pavement situations, and cost of every single thing to replace or repair is higher. Also the LC is much more reserved, and only cool people will know how awesome your truck is ;).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom