Flowmaster Quality & Sound. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

[quote author=landtoy80 link=board=2;threadid=4720;start=msg35935#msg35935 date=1062085744]
Why just one? Are yours in line or side by side?
kurt
[/quote]

First off, I wanted to keep some of the emissions stuff just incase I do go to the emissions place I wont fail with flying colors. I'll fail just a little bit. And I didnt have a bit long enough to go all the way through the one infront. I beleive the only thing you would have to do to fool the sensor is put a resistor somewhere in the line and that would change the signal comming in. Or you can always do a test pipe with o2 sims which is basically the same exact thing just a fancy pants manufactured verision.

-Bryan

I got my rig back today! :D
It has a brand new..single high flow CAT, Flowmaster muffler..and dual pipes in the back!

It is loud..but, what's the point if it isnt LOUD!! :D :flipoff2: :D

Biggest difference what how smooth the car is riding now due to the increased exhaust flow. BEFORE w/stock exhaust..there was so much back pressure that my truck would actually slow down going DOWN a hill..now..w/the flowmaster..it is speeding up! Feels great. It seems like there might have been a pickup in HP..although i have no idea how much.

here is a pic.

LinkPhoto

Later..
-Joe-

Hope your not planning of taking that thing four wheeling!!!! One trip and the tips will be destroyed.

Does the truck feel smoother at higher RPMS. I noticed when I changed the exhaust on my Pathfinder it was much more eager to rev.

Cary

HAHA :D OF COURSE i am taking it off road!! :D Those Tips are too shiney anyways!! :D they need to be roughed up a little! :flipoff2: :banana: :D

It does feel smoother at higher rpm's.. I havent noticed any 'eager to rev' yet..just got it today...so, i will have to see after a while. One thing is for sure..the difference is like night and day.

later..
-joe-

GO RED SOX!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Them there Gleeming Chrome Tips would last about 6 to 8 minutes on Poison Spider Mesa at Moab. But, what a way to "smooth" 'em off ;)

Which version of Flowmaster did you use?

I got the SUV flowmaster..dont know off hand what model # is though.

Before the exhaust. I was averaging 13.15 MPG (tracking for 6 mos)

After the exhaust. So Far..i have filled up twice. First fillup i was at 14.85 MPG..second fill up i was at 14.98 MPG. :D

Dont know if the exhaust is helping out my MPG...but, the engine does seem to be under less pressure/stress w/the new exhaust.

I think my MPG will go to hell when I slap on my new ARB! :D

later..
-Joe M-

SA, any issues with the O2 sensors going from 2 OEM Cats to 1 high flow? If not, I guess even with one high flow there is enough of a diff in the readings of the two to be okay?

I stopped in the muffler shop today to ask about a flowmaster system on my Cruiser. Of course he didn't know what actual model would work, but he said he could find one and figure out a way to make it fit. I told him I wanted the SUV Flowmaster and he had not heard of them. He did say that if I could get him some part numbers, he could have them next day. He also was not sure about the High Flow Back Cat but he said that unless it meets emision standards, he could not install it. Can anyone tell me what correct model/part number is on the SUV Flowmaster anf the High Flow Back Cat.

Oh yea, he warned me that if we put that system on my truck, it was going to be much LOUDER. I don't want to be to loud but would like it to sound like something better than stock. I also hope to improve some on performance and perhaps MPG...

Those dual tips sure look perty....ya sure that aint an F350 :flipoff2:

Those sum biotches would be flat as pancakes after the weekend I just had :-[

Heck, I 'm still grinding away at the corners of my stock bumper, and I aint even wheeled any tough stuff.

Lucky you got that big ass hitch hangin' out to protect that shiny stuff. :D

you ought to hook those up with some kind of quick release..ha ha

Jeff

I would recommend to those interested in trying a different muffler to try a Gibson. They are only slightly louder than stock, flow much better and don't have any stuffing to go bad. In fact if several people are interested, we could perhaps approach Gibson about making a drop in replacement. In the pathfinder it was about $300 and a bolt in.

Thank you Keep, I appreciate your help. I listened to your WAV files and they sound good. Is it more of a throatier-deeper sound instead of high piched.. I don't want it to sound like a suped up Celica or something. Does the lnk also suggest a Cat that will work better that the old stocker and still meet EPA standards? I have 110K on the stock pipes and think it would help the motor breath better with new system. What is the stock diameter of the pipes and if I go up to 2.5", where should it pick up? Thanks again Keep.

Mark

Mark,

It definintely has a deeper sound rather then the high pitched whine you hear on so many of the little four bangers. Though at higher rpms it still does get pretty loud and a higher pitched then you'd hear from a something like a V8. I've noticed it sounds higher pitched inside the cabin then outside. It isn't particularly loud at crusing speeds though.. the MTRs roar covers most of it.

I couldn't really tell you much beyond that, my install consisted of the muffler, a bit of the same diameter pipe directly behind it and a bend at the end where I had the resonator (aka tin can) cut off.

I'm sure some of the more knowledgable here can provide details on full cat back replacements.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom