Flipping Tub (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
First FJ40 and first frame off, chassis and drivetrain back together and now time to get the body going. What's the best way to flip or rotate the tub without a rotisserie or multiple overhead cranes? I can get many of my sons (who is helping with the project) friends.

Thanks Steve

Recruit the boys & explain exactly what you want/each of their jobs.

Then get them decide on a pizza/call it in — by the time you have it moved, pizza should arrive.

Win/win :cool:

Thanks, all boys like pizza, I'll try but the problem is they will want beer with it. I have been considering building an inexpensive wooden rotisserie that can be disassembled????

Pretty much what I did with “The Rickety Spit”.
Used 4x4 lumber as the base and as much scrap steel as I could find to use. Had to purchase the 2-1/2” x .125” square tubing and some 8” long bolts. Lots of welding and cutting involved. Not a super quick deal - took several weeks to acquire all the materials. I would also recommend lower profile casters as opposed to scaffolding casters.

2E41F329-332C-401F-B608-4C7ADAC833B5.jpeg

9BA387CD-00C4-4975-83CE-70075D3EE395.jpeg

0BECF497-16CB-4A89-802F-D135B9085027.jpeg

Pretty much what I did with “The Rickety Spit”.
Used 4x4 lumber as the base and as much scrap steel as I could find to use. Had to purchase the 2-1/2” x .125” square tubing and some 8” long bolts. Lots of welding and cutting involved. Not a super quick deal - took several weeks to acquire all the materials. I would also recommend lower profile casters as opposed to scaffolding casters.

View attachment 2016557

View attachment 2016558

View attachment 2016559
That is an awsome set up, It looks solid, Thanks for the pics I am going to have to copy alot of your concepts

That is an awsome set up, It looks solid, Thanks for the pics I am going to have to copy alot of your concepts

Thanks @Dadsfj40 👍
There’s a few design changes I’d make, but other than that it’s solid. Tub has been spinning on it since April, no issues. Hopefully be done with the major tub work within the next month or two. It will probably end up resting on the rotisserie until I get the chassis work complete.
I gotta admit though, this design was blown out of the water by another 55 owner who built his rotisserie to be as low profile as possible since it was absolutely necessary for the whole works to fit inside his garage AND be able to spin.

Here are some pictures of what I ended up doing, Steeling parts of all of yours, most from rush55, a little hokey and takes 2-3 people to rotate it but it works well. It is really cheap, easy to take apart and store. I bolted cross boards (2x6) to frame mounts and a 4x4 to them. Each end was lifted one at a time and the 4x4 was lowered onto oversized saw horses for the rotation process. After it was rotated each end was lowered one at a time back on the dollys. While it was up I attached front supports built on dollys. The back was placed on similar supports onced flipped and lowered. When it was lowered upside down the support dollies were just on the floor. The 4x4 was easily removed which was key since most of the work I had to do was in the back and I couldn't have rotisserie parts in the way. It all comes off pretty easily so I can flip, paint, repeat.

4x4 small 10 .jpg
dollies installed 1280.jpg
saw horse 1280.jpg
Roticcerie 1280.jpg
Tub flipped 1280.jpg

Nice 👍 Having the tub mobile like that sure is handy.

While I’m here, I’ll post this up...
Made a frame rotisserie for all of the frame and suspension work I’m doing. Several months ago I came up with a way to make a rotisserie about as simple and effective as it gets, so here you go. 4x4 lumber fits nicely into 4”x4”x1/8” square tubing. I didn’t get too elaborate with the frame rotisserie, but combine aspects of the others and you get the idea and the options to do pretty much whatever you want with a smaller amount of materials.

0C9DD20E-5F77-435B-938B-C6E626927E68.jpeg

EB34EA2D-33A0-4CCF-8418-3F83C6A5EEBB.jpeg

F26CBC10-28FB-42B6-AC89-9834D2A560BB.jpeg

11676FF1-7043-417C-A6CD-03DD3C8E52D5.jpeg

ED3C5D83-FD5F-4DD4-B028-02286731C213.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom