1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

FJC body cracking

Discussion in 'FJ Cruiser' started by ksheffield, Sep 11, 2007.

1. ksheffield

ksheffield

Just heard about this with my local club … has anyone heard of the body cracking on FJCs near the front end?

KSheffield

2. FirstToy

FirstToy

3. NYCTRD

NYCTRD

FJ Cruiser / Prado FRAME CRACKS

Apparhently the Austrailian "FJ" the "Prado" has suffered the same type of stress fractures, cracks & bulges we're seeing here in the U.S. on the Cruiser.

For Toyota to generally be so nebulous about their acknowledgment of this issue and dealers to thus far seem to be virtually completely ignorant of this, is absurd at this stage.

This reeks of too much reliance on C.A.D. and not enough real world testing. I bought my first generation FJ KNOWING FULL WELL THERE WOULD BE FIRST MODEL YEAR RUN ISSUES.

But I would ONLY have done this with Toyota or Honda, knowing that they would likely deal with any significant issues responsibly. I dind't wager on problems as severe as FRAME BUCKLING, STRESS CRACKS AND METAL FATIGUE AT 9-k on a vehicle SOLD AS A TOUGH, OFF-ROAD VEHICLE. I woon't even go into the early bad diffs, frame flex causing windshields to crack, etc...THE FRAME BUCKLING IS UNACCEPTABLE!

Sorry-Had to vent and sine FJ Cruiser forums has banned me for LIFE(!), I can only read the posts!

Please follow this issue as we can't let Toyota sweep it under the rug. What sucks for me is I wanted to keep this vehicle for a VERY long time...

4. KLF

KLF Frame waxer SILVER Star

5. FirstToy

FirstToy

here is the thread on body cracks
    https://forum.ih8mud.com/showthread.php?t=171443

and the FRAME is not the BODY.

6. NYCTRD

NYCTRD

I said I WANTED (past tense) to keep it a long time!
    Yeah, it's for sale at $34-k-You think someone's gonna pay me that?!

It has a small bulge on drivers side. Otherwise perfect. I likely WILL end up keeping it after Toyota band-aids it. I LOVE the truck overall. I simply want to keep the heat up...and if someone buys it for around what I paid for it, I'll get a new one, paint the roof black and start over!

7. NYCTRD

NYCTRD

True-But if you look at the design, it's kind of a psudeo-unibody as the BODY contributes to the structural rigidity of the frame.

Thanks for the link

8. NYCTRD

NYCTRD

9. bulldog-yota

bulldog-yota

Nope, it is a normal body on frame design no pseudo anything.

10. LandCruiserSteve

LandCruiserSteve

Come on, NYCTRD. It was difficult enough intercepting the "sky is falling" panic and rumors over on the FJ Forum, so totally eroneous information does NOT need to be posted here as well.

There is NO frame cracking or "frame buckling" ocurring on the FJ Cruiser . . . . period.

Some early build models of the FJ Cruiser have been experiencing bulging and some sheet metal splitting along the crush zone area of the inner fender apron, and Toyota is doing its best at this time to rectify the problem on those affected FJC's.

There are NO reports whatsoever about "frame cracking" or "frame buckling."

And no, the FJC is not a unibody vehicle, nor does it even come close.

You were obviously banned life from another forum for a good reason. And, that is NOT justification for you to be "venting" with completely false information here on MUD.

So PLEASE don't be spreading completely untrue rumors here on this very reputable forum. I'd hate to see you get banned from here as well.

Last edited: Sep 19, 2007
  11. LandCruiserSteve

LandCruiserSteve

12. moabrat

moabrat

irony

Funny, when the problem was first found you were poking fun at everyone and saying it was hysteria. Now you found the problem in your TRD and talk about hysteria. The sky is not falling and you are grossly exaggerating the problem. Toyota is taking care of it so far. Why don't you just get yours fixed and reserve your crying for when or if they turn you down? Nice to try and sell it without mentioning the problem too. Really stand up performance here on mud so far.

13. Old Prospector

Old Prospector

Folks, LandCruiserSteve is correct, the sky is NOT falling. The bulges / tears are in sheet metal designed to crumple in event of a vehicle accident to safely dissipate collision energy. The cause of the observed bulges and tears in some FJ Cruisers is not fully understood yet, but Toyota has had field engineers (at least one from Japan) look at several affect vehicles. There are about a half dozen on the FJCruiserForums website that have Toyota full attention and were be repaired. It appears all of those vehicle do have tears in the inner fender metal. The bulges/tears to the inner fender have resulted in no issues to mechanical integrity of anyother parts, as far as anyone knows at this time.

Mine is not affected at this time; here is the vehicle information - 4x4 Automatic, production date 09/06, VIN 43941, 11,800 miles, no lift, no bumper mods. My user name on the FJCruiserForums website is Kansas Law Dog. Thanks for listening.

14. FJJACK

FJJACK

Hey guys, my son is picking up my replacement arpons as we speak. Toyota is paying for the repair and providing me with transportation while my vehicle is being repaired. On top of all of this they are allowing me to pick the body shop I want to fix it. The new apron supposibly is re-enforced I will know later today. I believe they are putting their "best foot forward", I just hope this is a permanent fix and not a band aid. The shop I want to do the repairs should start on it next week, he promised it would be completed before I go to Moab on Columbus Day weekend.

15. FirstToy

FirstToy

That's great news, glad to hear some feedback on the situation. thanks guys

16. fjcruzn

fjcruzn

17. Shadow-Warrior

Shadow-Warrior

And for good reason, so now your popping up over here on MUD stating out right lies. IH8MUD is a very well respected Forum. There are no or ever have been any "FRAME CRACKS" please stop this type of abusurd spreading of lies.

Thanks buddy ;)

Agreed, now over here starting the same types of rants:mad:

Thanks Steve for pointing me over here on MUD. Agreed with everything you have stated, this type of HYPE and outright lies needs to stop at once before it gets out of hand. Thanks again buddy;)

Mike

18. LandCruiserSteve

LandCruiserSteve

My pleasure, Mike.

And . . . . . WELCOME TO THE FORUM ("rookie" :D )!!!!!!

BTW, fellow MUD'ers . . . . Mike (Shadow-Warrior) is one of the super good guys from the FJ Forum. He's one heck of a 'wheeler and my favorite beer partner. Please join me in welcoming him aboard over here on the "MUD train." :cheers: :cheers:

19. LandCruiserSteve

LandCruiserSteve

And, you won't meet two better FJ'ers than fjcruzn and Old Prospector either.

Someone please give all these guys the official MUD welcome salute!!

20. tddfj

tddfj

is this a true problem? i was just on another site and was told they have never encountered anyone with a body cracking on a fjc.

data-matched-content-rows-num="2,1" data-matched-content-columns-num="1,4" data-matched-content-ui-type="image_stacked" data-ad-format="autorelaxed">