FJ80 vs FZJ80 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

ABS (good or bad?)
Air Bags 95+
Leather Option (good or bad?)
OBD2 95+
Better exhaust placement (other than the under the frame BS)
FF rear axle on the majority
Rear Discs

Last edited:
There's about 500 posts on this subject, as well as an FAQ entry or five. You've been around long enough to know this.

My own opinion is that the 'z' offers more features and power, while the earlier model offers less things to break and should be priced cheaper. There are advantages to either.

-Spike

I love these discussions. They always start with a couple people reminding us that it's been rehashed a dozen times, but then someone makes a statement and everyone piles back in again.

should i buy this fj80

sorry if this is the wrong forum as i am a newbie! i found a 1992 fj80 with 223k and the owner said that it needs a real main seal and an egr valve. also it has an exhaust leak coming from the side of the header. he was asking $3,500, but will sell it to me for $2,000! it has a center locking diff and i'm planning on towing a 17ft bass boat that weighs 1,400 lbs(not sure how much with trailer). i know that the 4.5 engines are better for towing, but at this price should i just pull the trigger? the body is super clean and they're a few rips in the second row cloth seats!:doh: thanks all in advance!

None of those repairs seems to taxing. The mighty 3FE will be just fine for your boat, just don't be in a hurry. The price seems fair enough. FYI all of the fj80's came with the center diff lock switch, which is not the same as having "lockers".

You really should have just started a new thread for this. What you described isn't bad. How bad is it leaking to "need" a new rear main?

I'll post up the thread I started a couple years ago. The gist of it is that the '95+ models have some improvements over previous years.

https://forum.ih8mud.com/80-series-tech/268314-1994-fzj-80-please-educate-me.html

sorry if this is the wrong forum as i am a newbie! i found a 1992 fj80 with 223k and the owner said that it needs a real main seal and an egr valve. also it has an exhaust leak coming from the side of the header. he was asking $3,500, but will sell it to me for $2,000! it has a center locking diff and i'm planning on towing a 17ft bass boat that weighs 1,400 lbs(not sure how much with trailer). i know that the 4.5 engines are better for towing, but at this price should i just pull the trigger? the body is super clean and they're a few rips in the second row cloth seats! thanks all in advance!

Sounds like a good deal. My parents pulled a 17' Boston Whaler with a Volvo 740. Any 80 series can handle towing a 17' bass boat. If you don't mind doing some work, that would be a good vehicle. :beer:

One of the things I kind of miss would be OBDII on 95-97 since you can get a Scan Gauge to monitor a whole bunch of good info. Where on FJ80 up to 94 FZJ80 its OBD1 and you need to get a separate sensor and gauge to monitor engine temp among other things a scan gauge can do

not sure how bad the leak is? going to have a local shop look it over before i buy it, as it is 200
+ miles from my house.

I have one of each. I will keep them both until they die, hopefully many many years from now.

fj80

it's @ a local shop in fresno now and so far they said that the rear main seal is gone! they're going to check the egr in the morning and go through the vehicle to see if it needs anything else. i hope that the exhaust leak is all that they're going to find, i really need to replace my 97 gmc suburban that was totaled. :hillbilly:

95+

Best of the 80s.

93-94 fzj ftw

turns out it was just the valve cover gasket leaking and the cat heat shield rattling. decided to let the shop do the work because it was only $95 for parts & labor. just drove home to napa from fresno this evening and it drives great! looks like i dodged a major bullet for now! thanks all for the advice, i'm happy so far with my fj80! oh yeah, only the driver seat is a little ripped(sweet!).

rear main after all

it's in the shop right now for the rear main seal! i had an oil pan gasket done then went on a trip to san diego and when i got there da oil was going drip, drip, drip! still love my fj anyways. :mad:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom