FJ62 Trailer Hitch Options (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I did try to utilize the search for this one beforehand, but most of the threads are with expired links, etc. Was wondering if there was a pretty straight forward application for our FJ62's for a trailer hitch. All I need to do is carry a bike rack for my mountain bike, so don't need anything overbuilt. Just very basic!

Or if anyone has anything for sale that would be great. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Guy says he used this hitch:

Amazon product ASIN B007CEIZKO

I used this one on mine:

Amazon product ASIN B000765DW2

Shots of the install:

Its not a perfect fit but it works.

There is this option as well:

Expensive but fits better I think than the one I used and maybe not as much drilling.

I have a class 1 hitch for sale in the classifieds:

Would prolly carry a single bike. It fits perfect and no drilling required.

Last edited:

Guy says he used this hitch:

Amazon product ASIN B007CEIZKO

I used this one on mine:

Amazon product ASIN B000765DW2

Shots of the install:

Its not a perfect fit but it works.

There is this option as well:

Expensive but fits better I think than the one I used and maybe not as much drilling.

I have a class 1 hitch for sale in the classifieds:

Would prolly carry a single bike. It fits perfect and no drilling required.
Sweet, I'll take yours! Thats all I need.

Was there ever a consensus about which 2" hitch to go with for an FJ62? I need one because while my 62 does have a 2" receiver currently, it's only mounted on 1 plane directly under the bumper and because of that, when I put my bike rack and a couple of bikes on it (extending about 2-3 feet out from the vehicle), whenever I hit a small bump or undulation in the road, the rack gets a bit of a pendulum action up and down (at the receiver) and that causes the handlebars of the closest bike up top to want to tap my rear glass... which is no bueno. I called BTB yesterday but didn't receive a call back. I'd prefer a solution that doesn't require too much modification, but also open to "what works"...

This probably doesn’t help but I got my hitch as it was integrated into the rear 4plus bumper. I added the trailer wiring harness myself and mounted it underneath. I put my mountain bike rack on this setup regularly with several bikes and it works great with a hitch extender shown. Absolutely no hitch movement or bike movement at all. It is stout!! Also tow a small trailer.

IMG_7170.jpeg

This probably doesn’t help but I got my hitch as it was integrated into the rear 4plus bumper. I added the trailer wiring harness myself and mounted it underneath. I put my mountain bike rack on this setup regularly with several bikes and it works great with a hitch extender shown. Absolutely no hitch movement or bike movement at all. It is stout!! Also tow a small trailer.

View attachment 3524181
Thats super sharp and looks like it functions great! I'm just looking to keep my factory bumpers for the moment... the general aesthetic of my build is OEM but better... and I love the lines of the factory bumpers...

I did get my trailer wiring harness here from a forum member.

Was there ever a consensus about which 2" hitch to go with for an FJ62? I need one because while my 62 does have a 2" receiver currently, it's only mounted on 1 plane directly under the bumper and because of that, when I put my bike rack and a couple of bikes on it (extending about 2-3 feet out from the vehicle), whenever I hit a small bump or undulation in the road, the rack gets a bit of a pendulum action up and down (at the receiver) and that causes the handlebars of the closest bike up top to want to tap my rear glass... which is no bueno. I called BTB yesterday but didn't receive a call back. I'd prefer a solution that doesn't require too much modification, but also open to "what works"...
We installed Reese Model 44668 on our FJ62. Had to drill two extra holes in the frame as I recall (one on each side), which isn't much fun upside down but also not terrible. I think we used a 2x4 and pivot on a deck block or something as a lever to put force on the drill. also helped to c-clamp the layers of the frame together for a cleaner drill hole.

We installed Reese Model 44668 on our FJ62. Had to drill two extra holes in the frame as I recall (one on each side), which isn't much fun upside down but also not terrible. I think we used a 2x4 and pivot on a deck block or something as a lever to put force on the drill. also helped to c-clamp the layers of the frame together for a cleaner drill hole.
Gonna order one off of ebay and give it a try because I'm gonna need a solution to this problem sooner than later! Love riding my bike and my receiver hitch bike rack is too nice/convenient to not use it...

Gonna order one off of ebay and give it a try because I'm gonna need a solution to this problem sooner than later! Love riding my bike and my receiver hitch bike rack is too nice/convenient to not use it...
1704483950373.jpeg

Fun times. I also put some spacers and bolted through the rear bumper. Not sure what will give up first, but it probably won’t be the hitch

1704484189282.jpeg

1704484066637.jpeg

Last edited:

@jesus888 I wouldn't underestimate what it takes to drill holes in your frame if that is needed. It's not an easy undertaking.

I put this one on my FJ60. Was not a perfect fit but with some griding and drilling I got it on there.

I used a CURT 13402 Class 3 Trailer Hitch, 2-Inch

I can't get the Amazon link to work. Its for a Chevy but I made it work.

I did get my trailer wiring harness here from a forum member.

This is a great harness if you need to mess with your wiring. Put one on my truck and wouldn't use anything else. @ChaserFJ60 is good people. You can't go wrong there.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom