fj62 t-case Vac to manual shift (the answer using all toyota parts) (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Well Im not at home so I can't give ya the part numbers but when I get thru the door I'll post them up.

Heres the deal, its almost too simple. You use 2 seals from an 85 fj60 case. Also the linkage from an fj60 case works as well. It even bolts right into the shaft its self and the only other thing left to do is make linkage for the hi-low shift...

Easy as Pie...

Pics are of both seals and linkage...

-Al:beer:
IMG_5534.jpg
IMG_5533.jpg

bump for 62 guys to see...

Can you provide a bit more information? This sounds interesting but I'm not "getting it" from the photos.

TIA!

You take off the vac shift assembly and there will be a hole where the 2wd-4wd drive shaft comes out of. You slip the seal over the shaft and seat it in the "hole". Then you slip the booty over the shaft and pull it around the first seal just like on the 85 cases. You then can bolt up the stock linkage from an fj60 t-case.

Sweet, glad you finally took the time to figure it out. I knew it seemed rediculous to tear down the case to change it over. Nice work.

You take off the vac shift assembly and there will be a hole where the 2wd-4wd drive shaft comes out of. You slip the seal over the shaft and seat it in the "hole". Then you slip the booty over the shaft and pull it around the first seal just like on the 85 cases. You then can bolt up the stock linkage from an fj60 t-case.

Thanks, now I get it. Well done, thanks for the explanation. ;)

Do you need the ball/bolt/detent thing to hold it in gear? I see where the hole that would hold the ball bearing detent to hold it in gear is not tapped. Does it click in and stay in gear without it? This sure would be a great improvement for my rig.

shift shaft

I'm pretty sure you need to add the detent ball .which also means you need to add the detents in the shaft itself. You do have to pull the case apart to do this properly.

Do you need the ball/bolt/detent thing to hold it in gear? I see where the hole that would hold the ball bearing detent to hold it in gear is not tapped. Does it click in and stay in gear without it? This sure would be a great improvement for my rig.

Well Its been staying gear for me...ill report if it pops out of 4wd or not.

Lowtide,
Nice job bro!
Ive heard mention of this, but I havent talked to anyone who has done it.
So the x fer needs to come out of the rig to do this mod?
I like this idea...I see a lot of threads on the 4wd not engauging/ disengauging!

Thanks for sharing!

Chicago

Lowtide,
Nice job bro!
Ive heard mention of this, but I havent talked to anyone who has done it.
So the x fer needs to come out of the rig to do this mod?
I like this idea...I see a lot of threads on the 4wd not engauging/ disengauging!

Thanks for sharing!

Chicago

No need to take the t-case out for this at all. Unbolt the 4 bolts hold on the vac shift...install seals. bolt on linkage.....maybe 15 minutes..

My whole drivetrain were out of the rig for that picture;)

my 87 HJ60 is in the same boat, which a x-fer case like the 62. No vac. left. I've got the FJ60 lever, but have not tried it yet. I'm very excited. Crawling under the truck for 4wd kinda sucks, especially when its snowing! I look forward to part numbers for the seals.

I f remember correctly the 62 case has the detent ball in it.

guys, he's not changing to the 6o linkage rod, thats what you find when you take the vac. shift stuff off. in that case the 2/4wheel drive "switch" is acting like a detent.... not right, but it works

good info al!!!! :beer:

i'd definetly drill and tap the case for the detent setup. fwiw, the detent ball, spring and cap are the same as for the 2-4wd engagement. and they're fairly cheap from the dealer.

good info al!!!! :beer:

i'd definetly drill and tap the case for the detent setup. fwiw, the detent ball, spring and cap are the same as for the 2-4wd engagement. and they're fairly cheap from the dealer.

Good deal, More good info. Im planning on this around the bend ( when time permits)...

finding the proper tap might be more of a challenge but that's what the internet is for, ain't it?! :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom