FJ62 Fire Truck Oil/Transfer case cooler? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Anyone happen to know how this system is setup? I'm looking to simplify the cooling system on this truck, and this system has been half removed by the PO. I'd like to completely remove what's there, and go to a standard system.

There is a hose that comes from the bottom of the oil cooler, and runs to the transfer case, and then back to a line that was hooked to something in the pump area. That line is now just vented to atmosphere.

I'm not sure really what is going on here.

1644250511645.png

1644250875389.png

1644250914876.png

Only diagram I can find that shows the bottom outlet on the Oil Cooler.

1644251073075.png

Thanks!
-Rob

1644250697439.png

I don’t know what’s going on either, but your transfer case is definitely “one of a kind” from Toyota made specifically for that fire truck. You can see that big honkin PTO gear box integrated into the upper section of the back case which was used to power the water pump. The routing of cooling lines out of the oil cooler may have been stock and used in some fashion to integrate with the water pump. (Just guessing here).
That “drain” line you circled located on the side cover that has a pipe & hose draining out through the skid plate — might be a Toyota Fire truck exclusive to ensure that the transfer case doesn’t over fill from oil migrating from the transmission.
It also could be a hack the previous owner installed to bleed off excessive oil migrating from the transfer case because of a leaky seal.

Nobody on this forum has one of these fire trucks (that I’ve seen). SOR in Southern California has/or had one in its shop museum.
Until you can verify with absolute certainty what is what by comparing an unmolested fire truck with yours, you’ve got to assume, that for the most part, it’s rigged up like it’s supposed to be.

I'd like to completely remove what's there, and go to a standard system.
by "standard system" you mean a normal FJ60 truck w/out a fire pump? The drive shaft is removed from the PTO so I assume your NOT running the fire pump with this any more. The cooler was probably built for heavy duty use of the PTO/T-case while running the pump. You'll just need to remove that side plate off the t-case where the "vent" line is and get a PTO cover plate and gasket or just plug the line connections there at that plate.. Prob have to find that off a parts truck. Oil cooler for a 2f motor (read 2F MOTOR.. only...none of the standard set up have the cooler going to the t-case) has different inlet and outlet pipes but looks like the oil cooler will bolt up. City Racer LLC sells a 2f oil cooler and some of those parts. Here's a schematic of the heater hoses from Partsouq for a 1987:

1644253079459.png

I don’t know what’s going on either, but your transfer case is definitely “one of a kind” from Toyota made specifically for that fire truck. You can see that big honkin PTO gear box integrated into the upper section of the back case which was used to power the water pump. The routing of cooling lines out of the oil cooler may have been stock and used in some fashion to integrate with the water pump. (Just guessing here).
That “drain” line you circled located on the side cover that has a pipe & hose draining out through the skid plate — might be a Toyota Fire truck exclusive to ensure that the transfer case doesn’t over fill from oil migrating from the transmission.
It also could be a hack the previous owner installed to bleed off excessive oil migrating from the transfer case because of a leaky seal.

Nobody on this forum has one of these fire trucks (that I’ve seen). SOR in Southern California has/or had one in its shop museum.
Until you can verify with absolute certainty what is what by comparing an unmolested fire truck with yours, you’ve got to assume, that for the most part, it’s rigged up like it’s supposed to be.
Thanks all!

I've been talking with Georg at Cruiser Brothers about the PTO transfer case. It looks like in order to have that PTO assembly, the transmission output shaft is actually unique to the fire trucks. I'm leaving that be for now.

The cooler assembly side cover is OEM Toyota specific to the fire trucks. It appears in this parts diagram. I've sourced a replacement standard cover from Georg, and will be installing that as part of this process.

1644254358573.png

The way things are plumbed now, I have no idea why I'm not dumping coolant out of these hoses. I'm thinking there can't be any flow through the oil cooler as it currently sits, as there's no return back to the cooling system.

I also have no clue how the round "Aux Radiator" operates. It has what looks like a valve on top, it may just be closed off there.

-Rob

I don't think that line is a vent or a drain. It's too low..it's below the oil level line. Maybe a coolant return line? And if the gear oil is at the bottom of the fill plug where it should be, that means there is most likely an internal cooling line that goes from the pressure to the return lines mounted on the PTO side plate. Let us know what's inside when you pull that side plate off.

Just a thought... could this cooling system be separate from the engine coolant? Fed with water from the PTO driven pump and just dropping that on the ground after its gone through the transfer cooler / engine oil cooler? Aux radiator a liquid-liquid cooler using pump water to cool the engine coolant?

Just a thought... could this cooling system be separate from the engine coolant? Fed with water from the PTO driven pump and just dropping that on the ground after its gone through the transfer cooler / engine oil cooler? Aux radiator a liquid-liquid cooler using pump water to cool the engine coolant?

That’s a really interesting idea, and fits my observations so far. Basically like a marine cooling system would work, using raw water to cool accessories and the engine when running the pump.

-Rob

Ding Ding Ding, I think we have a winner!

There is another "dump" line coming from the round water-to-water heat exchanger as well. I didn't notice it when I was looking at the system before now.

1644264150248.png

1644264173575.png

I think this means I have NO coolant running through the oil cooler, t-case cooler and aux radiator (at least in the secondary loop).

At the moment I'm planning on:
Delete T-Case cooler by removing cover plate and replacing with standard OEM part from Cruiser Brothers
Delete Engine Coolant heat exchanger by swapping with standard OEM parts:
  • Hose, Radiator side: 16573-61040
  • Pipe: 16577-61130
  • Hose, Water pump side: 16572-61020
I'm not quite sure how to delete the oil cooler. I've seen folks talk about it, but I'm not sure what parts I'll need yet.

Thanks
-Rob

Removed the transfer case cooler this morning. As expected, it's a closed cooling system that just bolts on. I also have an early 2F (Non oil cooler) filter housing on it's way.

1644621161251.png

-Rob

I personally wouldn't delete the engine oil cooler on an FJ-62. It was put there for a reason. The engine is hauling around a lot more weight than the 2F originally did in an FJ40

I personally wouldn't delete the engine oil cooler on an FJ-62. It was put there for a reason. The engine is hauling around a lot more weight than the 2F originally did in an FJ40
If I had a functioning system at the moment, I'd probably agree with you. My 3F was never equipped with such a system, only a PTO raw water cooler that does nothing unless you're running the (deleted) fire pump.

I do have a factory equipped Oil Temp gauge. If I see a temp issue, I'll source the parts to retrofit a system onto my truck.

-Rob

Removed the transfer case cooler this morning. As expected, it's a closed cooling system that just bolts on. I also have an early 2F (Non oil cooler) filter housing on it's way.

View attachment 2921930

-Rob
Interesting that this is above the oil level line. The gears must throw oil up at it. Or like the front drive shaft output some sort of slinger on the shaft.

If I had a functioning system at the moment, I'd probably agree with you. My 3F was never equipped with such a system, only a PTO raw water cooler that does nothing unless you're running the (deleted) fire pump.

I do have a factory equipped Oil Temp gauge. If I see a temp issue, I'll source the parts to retrofit a system onto my truck.

-Rob
You also have to think about the intended purpose of the vehicle: Start up, quickly get to wherever it needs to go, pump water, go home. It likely wasn't intended to go on long drives while hauling gear, or extended off-road excursions.

The fact it has an oil-temp gauge (where is it located?) shows Toyota was concerned about it I think!

It might not be an issue at all, but auto manufacturers are in the business of making money, and you don't make money by sticking on things you don't have to. In all honestly it will likely be fine though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom