FJ62/3FE fuel filter; old vs. new (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Spook50

Skål
Supporting Vendor
Threads
So just for some gee-whiz info, when I changed out my fuel filter today after about 150K miles, I let the old one dry out completely, cleaned off the outside of it and weighed it versus a new fuel filter. Took the brackets off both to get a more true weight. I can count on one hand the number of times I've put in cheap "crap gas" since I started driving the truck 23 years ago. As it turns out, 150K miles of use left the filter with only 52 grams (or 1.83 ounces) worth of crud that it caught from the fuel. One day for the sake of peace of mind I'll replace the fuel pump and strainer in the tank (it's still the factory original installed, but I've never run completely out of gas so it's ALWAYS had lubrication). Just thought some of you might be interested in this for the sake of curiosity.

Filter1.jpg

Filter2.jpg

Last edited:
So just for some gee-whiz info, when I changed out my fuel filter today after about 150K miles, I let the old one dry out completely, cleaned off the outside of it and weighed it versus a new fuel filter. Took the brackets off both to get a more true weight. I can count on one hand the number of times I've put in cheap "crap gas" since I started driving the truck 23 years ago. As it turns out, 150K miles of use left the filter with only 52 grams (or 1.83 ounces) worth of crud that it caught from the fuel. One day for the sake of peace of mind I'll replace the fuel pump and strainer in the tank (it's still the factory original installed, but I've never run completely out of gas so it's ALWAYS had lubrication). Just thought some of you might be interested in this for the sake of curiosity.

View attachment 2100057

View attachment 2100059

Good Evening Mr. Spook .......

is there any chance you would Consider taking your Dremmle or Cuttoff wheel air tool tool of some sort ,

and make a surgical incision around and under the Lip of the Factory Crimp , thus making is possible

for Me and any anyone else to see the Guts of a TOYOTA EFI high pressure fuel filter for the first time ?

as u draw it out of is Cocoon Like metal case .....

thanks for consideration to Educate ......

kindly Matt

imageskkk.jpg

Well I finally ordered a new pair of brush doors for my Dremel yesterday, but that's actually not a bad idea, so I might give it a shot. It's got me curious too.

Watch the sparks might be better off with a hack saw for saftey may be ok but you never know but yea cut it we want to see

Well im just going to bump this because i just changed my fuel filter and noticed how heavy it was compared to the old one. Sadly though i threw it away without another thought.

You can always take a freshly-removed filter and shake it backwards into a clean can. I have done this, and I rarely get much out. I think gasoline (in general) is a lot cleaner than it was in the past, as far as dirt particles. I have even back-flushed the filters with gas to see what comes out. I realize that much will be stuck in the filter media, of course.

Good Evening Mr. Spook .......

is there any chance you would Consider taking your Dremmle or Cuttoff wheel air tool tool of some sort ,

and make a surgical incision around and under the Lip of the Factory Crimp , thus making is possible

for Me and any anyone else to see the Guts of a TOYOTA EFI high pressure fuel filter for the first time ?

as u draw it out of is Cocoon Like metal case .....

thanks for consideration to Educate ......

kindly Matt

I'm due to change out the pump I installed in my initial post. That old Dremel took a dump completely back then, which prevented me from cutting my old one open, but I'm going to dry out and weigh the current one once it's changed out and this time I'll cut it open afterwards. Glad I remembered this thread since now I have the "new" weight of the filter I'm going to be changing out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom