FJ60Cam an' Fam Get High AF (8 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

The next morning, we drove down to Cañon City to check out the Royal Gorge and walk across the bridge.

My pics don't do the place any justice, so I'll wow you with some pro pics...

IMG_3383.JPG

IMG_3382.JPG

The sides are lined up with all the state flags, so that gave me a chance to throw the girl up on my shoulders and make mom nervous :grinpimp:

IMG_2900.JPG

IMG_2902.JPG

Nice man. Miss that area. I was in Deckers for a year and woodland park/manitou springs was closest civilization unless you counted the Bucksnort Inn. Crossed that bridge a few time myself. Keep it coming :)

That afternoon, we hit Red Rock Canyon to stretch out our legs for the next day's punishment. There were no clouds out, so our tender low-altitude, east coast skin literally baked in the sun.

This area is just breathtakingly beautiful, and just ten or fifteen minutes from the middle of town (everything here is only 15 minutes away).

IMG_2913.PNG

IMG_2905.JPG

Off in the distance, looking quite benign and innocent, is tomorrow's punishment...

IMG_3384.PNG

Red Rock Canyon is a geographical extension of GotG, so it has some of the same rock formations protruding from the earth. It is a paradise for energetic rock climbing kids.

IMG_2907.JPG

IMG_2909.JPG

IMG_2910.JPG

It's also a mountain biking paradise. BYO body armour. There were some serious jumps. Seriously surprised to see them in a public park, there must be a shortage of personal injury attorneys out there.

IMG_2911.JPG

We spent the evening strolling around Manitou Springs...

IMG_2923.JPG

We sampled some local CO brews and wine at a creekside restaurant while waiting on our food.

IMG_2918.JPG

I couldn't quite place the elusive herb used to enhance the hops in the Modus Hoperandi. At first I thought it was Purple Kush, but it ended up being basil. One of the tastiest beers I've ever had.

IMG_2917.JPG

The bison burger soaked with hatch chile sauce and topped with pico & guac was killer. It was just what I needed to fuel up for the next day's adventure.

This would be my last meal if that adventure didn't go well, so it needed to be a good one.

IMG_2920.JPG

Im stoked about this trip report. We are headed there next summer for my nephews' Air Force Academy graduation. I get to pin on his butter bars.

I like the gummy shirt......

Also, I am so old we could drive over the RG bridge......

Im stoked about this trip report. We are headed there next summer for my nephews' Air Force Academy graduation. I get to pin on his butter bars.

I like the gummy shirt......

Also, I am so old we could drive over the RG bridge......

You still can!

IMG_3388.PNG

I love the area. It's not as "cool" as Denver or Boulder, but there's so much to do within a 15 minute radius.

And congrats to your nephew :cheers:

We
Nice man. Miss that area. I was in Deckers for a year and woodland park/manitou springs was closest civilization unless you counted the Bucksnort Inn. Crossed that bridge a few time myself. Keep it coming :)
used to tube Deckers back in the 70's. Guess you can't do that anymore either but it sure was fun.

So, for some reason I can't with good sense explain, I wanted to do the Manitou Incline trail. It's an old cable car track that has been turned into an extreme hike straight up the side of a mountain. Somehow, I convinced the kids that they wanted to do it too. Mom was obligated at that point, to make sure I brought them back in one piece.

We "trained" at a local parking garage a few times, taking multiple trips up and down the stairs. The most we ever did was about 500 feet of elevation. All at sea level. With plenty of oxygen. Good enough :lol:

IMG_3389.JPG

Climbing the Incline is like running up the stairs of the Empire State Building twice, only it's steeper. It climbs 2000 feet of elevation in .88 miles. And it starts at 6200 feet. No biggie, I thought.

It's probably not as bad as the pictures make it appear.

IMG_3391.JPG

IMG_3392.JPG

IMG_3393.JPG

Last edited:
I filled all of our Camelbaks with water and put them in the fridge the night before, and got our snacks ready. There's a four mile hike down, so you'll want to replace your spent energy at some point.

We showed up early enough that it was still cool out, but late enough to avoid the early rush.

Looking like the noobs we were:

IMG_2926.JPG

It starts off (relatively) easy, just your normal mountain trail steepness.

IMG_2929.JPG

IMG_2934.JPG

IMG_2930.JPG

The views and scenery are phenomenal...

IMG_2932.JPG

Cam. Killing it these days. Cam.

No s***.

Stoked that you guys do this stuff and that you're willing to take the time to do share trip reports, but, damn, this makes me realize how boring our family is. You guys appear to have a solid grasp on the whole work/life balance thing...pretty sure Team Taylor missed school the day that lesson was taught.

No s***.

Stoked that you guys do this stuff and that you're willing to take the time to do share trip reports, but, damn, this makes me realize how boring our family is. You guys appear to have a solid grasp on the whole work/life balance thing...pretty sure Team Taylor missed school the day that lesson was taught.

Keep in mind that this is carefully crafted social media propaganda, designed to make my life look as cool as the Grogans and Tollesons :grinpimp:

We're usually pretty boring and this isn't a typical vacation for us. That said, it has me REALLY wanting to move and simplify life/do with less to better balance the work/family/quality of life thing.

All of that said, this particular trip, which was out of this world epic, has only just gotten started. I hope I can do it justice.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom