FJ60 valve adjustment (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Just wanted to say thank you for this original post. It has been years since I last did any valve adjustments. It took me about an hour from start to finish and she’s running like a top now.

I will say this, after reading some of these replies.. some people may not need to be adjusting their own valve trains.

This is as about as straight forward of an evolution as it gets.

134544F7-3864-4F22-888F-93E21D820D10.jpeg

It must have been the perfect weekend for valve adjustments.....I did my 62. Great thread. The car is new to me, so this is the first time looking under the valve cover. Several valves were very tight. I wonder if it is normal for them to tighten over time, or if the last adjustment wasnt very good. Since this was just an initial check as I am replacing a bunch of other stuff, I did it cold and added a little like the posted chart suggested. I will check again hot when it gets fired up. New plugs, cap, rotor, fixing several vacuum and oil leaks and the 62 should be in good shape. It was in need of some TLC.

Yes- the valve lash of the 2F typically gets tighter & tighter over time. Especially the exhaust valves.

Thanks @OSS , now that you mention it, I think it was 2-3 exhaust valves. I know for certain #1 exhaust was tight because it made me triple check TDC. A good reason to check them every so often! As an old mechanic told me, "I would rather hear them, than smell them. "

valve seats and valve faces wear and they pull higher into the head, closing the gap at the rocker...normal wear=tighter valve

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom