FJ60 Sputtering out (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
well... I'm a new first time FJ60 owner. I bought my truck about a month ago and have had it in the shop for 3 weeks getting work done on it. The choke cable was broken and the carburetor was out of tune which caused gray smoke out the exhaust.

I got it home yesterday and now it is middling much smoother and no gray smoke.

BUT....twice in two days when I've been driving it it sputters out. When I press the gas it's as if it can't get any or something and it sputters. It can't get any traction. Sometimes I can't get it to have a little traction then I rev it up and get it going. Once it backfired on me and now seems to have white smoke out the exhaust.

The mechanic says it may be the carburetor. I say I just want it fixed and running well. Any thoughts from you? If it isn't too crazy I would love to fix it myself versus drop a bunch more cash.

Thank you!

Well the first thing to ALWAYS check when the engine feels like it's bogging down is the fuel filter if it hasn't been replaced in a while. And if you don't know when the last time it was replaced, replace it anyway even if it looks clean. A clean looking filter can still block flow.

A backfire will happen when some unburned fuel ends up in the exhaust pipe. When the engine is sputtering & you're flooring it trying to get it going, excess fuel can easily get sucked in & spit out while the engine is choking on itself- hence backfire.

The engine shouldn't be making any visible exhaust idling when fully warmed up on a warm afternoon. It will spew white steam (condensation) every cold morning until it heats up.

Had the fuel filter replaced last week. I just found this video online that sounds exactly like what is going on. The video says carburetor problem. Would you agree?

Definitely. Notice when it's idling it's running ok ish. Then when he pushes in the gas it sputters. The carb isn't getting fuel to the engine. Accelerator pump at the very least is shot.

Four choices:

1. Remove your carburetor & have it professionally rebuilt by an expert but wait maybe 6 weeks to get it back.

2. Buy another rebuilt carburetor that's ready to go but it will be kinda pricey.

3. Buy an inexpensive non USA, not smog legal, stripped down Chinese copy carburetor & cross your fingers that it will work ok.

4. Attempt to rebuild it yourself if you know that you have excellent skills taking apart small parts & keeping track of everything and following directions exactly. If you have doubts, it's not recommended because you can lose tiny parts and there's lots of ways to make a mistake putting it back together.

Take a look at the 2F engine FSM carburetor section to get a feel for all the parts that make up the carburetor.

For Sale - 40, 50, 60, and 80 series FSM for a hell of a price.

Did this issue ever get resolved my 60 is doing the exact same thing!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom