FJ60 Rear brake adjuster question (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Does the current OEM star wheel adjuster for a 1983 driver's side rear brake drum, part number
47062-60011, have a 12 x 1.25 thread on it now ? If it does and I use it, do I have to also convert the passenger side to the new thread size (i.e. get the passenger side equivalent part which is # 47061-60011) ? The originals were 10 x 1.25 and I need a new one for the driver's side because I applied a right hand thread tap and die to the driver's side by mistake and hosed it up.

I went to a junkyard and pulled one off of an early 1990's 4runner and everything was exactly the same except for a 12mm threaded rod as opposed to the 10mm that was on my truck.

When searching online at parts sites like parts.villagetoyota.com and toyotapartsdeal.com, both say that the part numbers I gave above are compatible with my truck, but one says the diameter is 12mm and the other says it is 10mm.

What is the deal with these threaded rod diameters ? Any info would be appreciated.

I'm not really following what you're after or why you're messing with taps ...

Yes, there are Right and Left pieces and if they're mixed up the adjusters won't work.

You can buy spanky new quality ones cheap from Wager / Raybestos for $15. I think even local chain auto parts has them.

More Information for WAGNER H2754

I'm not really following what you're after or why you're messing with taps ...

Yes, there are Right and Left pieces and if they're mixed up the adjusters won't work.

You can buy spanky new quality ones cheap from Wager / Raybestos for $15. I think even local chain auto parts has them.

More Information for WAGNER H2754

I was doing the rear brakes on my truck, one side at a time. I didn't mess things up switching around the adjusters. That isn't the problem.

Since the adjuster on the passenger side was dirty and had gunk on it, I washed it in the parts washer and put a tap and die on it to get off any remaining residue from it so it would operate nice and new. That was all good.

I went to the drivers side and did the same thing, only when the tap and die was really hard to turn I idiotically didn't stop. The tap and die are for right hand threaded screws/bolts and I really messed up the adjuster. Stupid me.

The aftermarket kit from Wagner has a 12" diameter bolt. I called Wagner who gave me the number for their provider (Carlson) as they don't make the actual product. I got through to an engineer there who said it was indeed a 12x1.25 threaded rod in the kit.

The original's from the truck are 10". I had several questions:
1) Is the OEM part (47062-60011) Toyota is selling now of the 12x1.25 variety ?

2) Is it ok to use the 12x1.25 type adjuster ?

3) Can I use a 12x1.25 adjuster on the driver side and a 10x1.25 adjuster on the passenger side (what I have already cleaned and re-installed)?

Note that while all the pieces length-wise are the same, as well as the star wheel itself, the change in diameter I would think would mean more rotation is needed on the 12mm to achieve the equivalent amount of adjustment on the 10mm. That is why I am a bit concerned about all this.

Yes, the old part # (10mm for 81-84) has been superseded to the 60011 which is the 12 mm adj bolt for 81-87 and prolly for FJ62.

I don't know about mixing them together. Why would you since Toyota super'd them for a reason ? And they're cheap...

Oh, btw, I learned something new in your other thread about brake friction material ratings. I had no idea and I've been around cars/trucks for a loooooong time. Thanks for that.

Yes, the old part # (10mm for 81-84) has been superseded to the 60011 which is the 12 mm adj bolt for 81-87 and prolly for FJ62.

I don't know about mixing them together. Why would you since Toyota super'd them for a reason ? And they're cheap...

Oh, btw, I learned something new in your other thread about brake friction material ratings. I had no idea and I've been around cars/trucks for a loooooong time. Thanks for that.

I need to get these done relatively soon and I would have to order the Wagner or Carlson kit which probably wouldnt get here until next week. They are NOT in any of the auto parts store.

As for OEM, I was told there were only two i. the country, a warehouse in Cincinnati and a warehouse in Boston. $50 bucks for it. The aftermarket kit has the adjust and the plates that it operates with .

I have the 12mm which I got for nothing, have in hand now and can install this weekend. That's why i want to know all this.

Now that I think about it, do the plates have to be changed as well with the 12mm setup from 10mm?

Here are pics of what this whole thing is about. The shiny part on the right in each part pair is the original off the truck I cleaned and then messed up. The parts on the left of each pair is the 12mm version from the junkyard 4runner.

IMG_4523.JPG

Also, here are the original plates that I realize I may have to replace as part of possibly going to this 12mm setup. I didnt pull them from the 4runner but can go back to the junkyard to do so.
IMG_4524.JPG

Correction to my previous post, I meant to say that the aftermarket kits are not available in stores anywhere near me.

Also, regarding the OEM part number 47062-60011, Village Toyota Parts has the part listed with "D=12" while ToyotaPartsDeal has it listed as "D=10". That is another source of my line of questioning regarding this.

4706260011 - TOYOTA ADJUSTER ASSY, SHOE, LH(FOR REAR BRAKE); ADJUSTER ASSY, SHOE, RH(FOR REAR | Village Toyota Parts, Homosassa FL

47062-60011 - Toyota Parts Deal

I don't trust any aftermarket parts unless I have to; which is why I want to get clarity on the OEM part diameter before using the one front the junkyard or an aftermarket part.

Also, while I was told there were only 2 of these OEM parts in the country, there were more than 10 available from the UAE warehouse of Amayama.com. I would probably get it from there if I have to.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom