FJ60 or 62 & which year is best? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

just notcied this is an OLD thread, that I replied to a few times ;)

Landpimp said:
fj60, 85-87 easier to swap a h55, 81-3 had odd PS box and york AC.

fj62, 89-90, only for 3 point seat belts, other then that they are all the same, 88 AC/PW/PL/PM optional.

Landpimp said:
yep, 88-90 4.10,
91-97...4.11

79+fj40/60 3.70

Pimp,
You have the numbers backwards. 4.11s on the 62s and 4.10s on the 80s. 37/9 = 4.11 :whoops:
You know which version I prefer, but if you have a good speciman of either the 60 or 62 you will be happy. Get a clunker in either and you won't be. My '88 gets 13-14 in town and 17 on the hiway. Uhh, that's not with the LTBs on though!

Last edited:
true(and I always get it backassward) but don't tell my fj60 that, it has 4.10's in it(from the rear of 2 91+ 80's) :D

overhanger said:
Landpimp said:
yep, 88-90 4.10,
91-97...4.11

79+fj40/60 3.70

Pimp,
You have the numbers backwards. 4.11s on the 62s and 4.10s on the 80s. 37/9 = 4.11 :whoops:
You know which version I prefer, but if you have a good speciman of either the 60 or 62 you will be happy. Get a clunker in either and you won't be. My '88 gets 13-14 in town and 17 on the hiway. Uhh, that's not with the LTBs on though!

jjbodean1970 said:
the best year - mine, of course! 1990 FJ62

not that i'm biased or anything :flipoff2:

Hell, the relatively few '90s that were sold in the U. S. were just leftover '89s. :D

I just got an 88 FJ62. It has manual windows and locks. Which i like better

one question though. how much would a 5 spd Manual tranny swap cost if i got a mechanic to do it for me

My '91 FJ62 came stock with the carburated 3F and the H55F, and it's a better powered combo than either one of the two US-specs. That said, the only thing I would change are the square headlights, I've had the truck for 13 years and I still can't get used to them, I *much* prefer the round headlights. In fact, I've been looking for a cheap parts FJ60 or someone that has one close by so I can swap them out, all I need are the radiator support and front valance, although I wouldn't mind getting the headlight bezels and grille if they're in good shape. Anyone in Central TX got one?

I'll either trade for the FJ62 stuff if interested or pay a decent price (speculators need not apply, this is low on the priority list)....

now Steve..............not really left overs, they(90's) were all made in 89 thats true but like mine it was made in 12/89(even 10/89 would still be a 90)........making it a 1990.

and then there is Henry's 91 fj62.........:)

overhanger said:
Hell, the relatively few '90s that were sold in the U. S. were just leftover '89s. :D

it depends wether u want an automatic or a manual fj62 came with an automatics power windows power locks. fj60 came with everything manual. i have an fj62 w/ a 3 1/2 lift with 35's tucked under it arb front bumber slee offroad rear sway away tire carrier warn 9,500 lb winch piaa 580 foglights i dont rub at all and i love it

88fj62w/35's said:
i have an fj62 w/ a 3 1/2 lift with 35's tucked under it arb front bumber slee offroad rear sway away tire carrier warn 9,500 lb winch piaa 580 foglights

Haha. 88fj62w/35's, you're kinda obvious at trying to get your rig on the web. Smooth move. :D

I've been pondering this question myself... My father has a 1987 fj60 and I love it, but pricing things out for some reason the fj62's are about half the price of a Fj60.. What's the deal..

one question though. how much would a 5 spd Manual tranny swap cost if i got a mechanic to do it for me

a new h55f can be had for 1600-1800, but let's call it 2000 to your door.

cruiserparts.net has a "conversion kit" of used parts you'd need. from their website:

"Manual trans. conversion kit (Includes: Bellhousing, used clutch, flywheel, shifters, shafts, floor cover, boots, pedal bucket, crossmember, mount, clutch master, slave and lines.)"

(why you'd want a used clutch i don't know....)

that lists for 750 plus shipping.

so pretty quickly you're at 2800 in parts when you rebuild the transfer (you're there, might as well it's mostly bearings i hear)

install cost depends of course. i've pondered this very same question, but haven't investigated. $5000 seems reasonable when all is said and done.

personally, i'm collecting parts to swap in an h42 4-speed. with 33" tires i hear it's also quite nice and you save about $1600 on buying the trans, a little less when you rebuild it.

I've been pondering this question myself... My father has a 1987 fj60 and I love it, but pricing things out for some reason the fj62's are about half the price of a Fj60.. What's the deal..

Can somebody answer this?

I'm looking at a '88 FJ62 tonight, auto. I don't mind the square headlights, but I'd like to know the answer to the above question 'cuz it is cheaper than the 60's I've been looking at, and in better shape.

Thanks for any help :):)

thats exactly me :fj60, 350, 5 speed- i looooove it *gurgle* it gets lots of attn, most every time i go on a decent drive, i end up answering questions about it, or some hottie is all, "love your truck!" heh.

Can somebody answer this?

I'm looking at a '88 FJ62 tonight, auto. I don't mind the square headlights, but I'd like to know the answer to the above question 'cuz it is cheaper than the 60's I've been looking at, and in better shape.

Thanks for any help :):)

Maybe the 62 with square headlights and auto is not as desirable to LC fanatics as the 60 with classic rounds, manual tranny, carb, crank windows, etc? I dunno, just a guess.

It always comes down to what the buyer wants and for how much. There's no answer, it's the whim/desire of the buyers and perceived value to the seller.

Love My 87 Fj60

to sum it up i like the 60 more than the 62,just because not to many things electrical to break.i dislike the 4 headlight set up,and hate automatics.the only thing to like on a 62 is fuel injection.:)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom