FJ60 H42 No Reverse (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi I am new to this form and I have a problem I can't seem to figure out. 1986 FJ60 140000 miles stock sitting for 15 years and trying to get her on the road again to build up. No reverse when I picked it up from original owner who took it off the road because of age (not wanting to drive stick) and loss of reverse. Truck is back to life and just need help finding why I have no reverse. I took apart top shift plate to find reverse shift fork rod was seized. Took apart the plate to find the rod was seized because it was bent a small amount (prob from trying to jam it in reverse for god knows how long before he took it off the road). Found a new used top plate with working forks. Installed and no luck. Its aligned correctly and I can manually put it in reverse with the top plate off. But when I try to put it in reverse with the plate on no luck. Any help would be great.

Not sure if this is part of the issue, but the transmission shift lever ball seat (33556F) wears over time, lowering the shift lever further down into the transmission case. It can definitely cause hard shifting. It's happened to me on my '84 FJ60.

Here's a picture:

Shift Lever.png

The part number is 33505-60011, still available from Toyota.

Turns out to be the shift linkage in the case for reverse. Something is binding up. Ordered used h42, its not worth the time and money to rebuild when I found one shipped for 300.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom