FJ60 Affordable Aftermarket Gas Tank (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Am I correct in seeing that there isn’t a single affordable gas tank replacement option for the FJ60? I’m not looking to spend $2000 on a long range tank, just want to replace a rusted out stock tank with something comparable. Options?

I went through this recently. I started by sourcing a good used tank from a fellow MUD member. It was a nice tank but it had been in storage and mice had nested inside. So, I took it to a local, respected tank restoration shop to be cleaned and checked. They said it looked new inside and was good to go. I did notice that the sock filter was missing from the pickup tube but figured that was fine since it had just been cleaned.

I installed it, all seemed fine so I drove it up to our hunting place, about 150 miles away. almost made it, and started to lose power. Long story short, they did not get all of the mouse debris out and the pickup tube got clogged.

I got frustrated, mixed a drink and ordered a long range tank from Mosley. It was $$$ but it has worked out really well. The extra capacity is great. It adds a lot of weight (I also have 4Plus rear bumper with spare tire and jerry cans) but my OME heavy springs handle it all fine.

I still have the tank so if you are interested in it, PM me. It would probably be fine if carefully cleaned.

I went through this recently. I started by sourcing a good used tank from a fellow MUD member. It was a nice tank but it had been in storage and mice had nested inside. So, I took it to a local, respected tank restoration shop to be cleaned and checked. They said it looked new inside and was good to go. I did notice that the sock filter was missing from the pickup tube but figured that was fine since it had just been cleaned.

I installed it, all seemed fine so I drove it up to our hunting place, about 150 miles away. almost made it, and started to lose power. Long story short, they did not get all of the mouse debris out and the pickup tube got clogged.

I got frustrated, mixed a drink and ordered a long range tank from Mosley. It was $$$ but it has worked out really well. The extra capacity is great. It adds a lot of weight (I also have 4Plus rear bumper with spare tire and jerry cans) but my OME heavy springs handle it all fine.

I still have the tank so if you are interested in it, PM me. It would probably be fine if carefully cleaned.
Thanks for the info! Yeah, this is exactly what I was hoping to avoid, spending big money and going through the effort to track/pickup a used tank that may or may not be any good. Thanks for the offer but I was hoping to find a reasonably priced aftermarket tank, but it doesn’t look like they exist for the 60 like they do for every other vehicle. Who knows, maybe after enough empty browsing, I’ll end up getting frustrated and going with the LR tank too.

There was a thread where a guy adapted an 80's suburban tank to fit where the spare tire was. It looked good and didn't hang as low as the spare did. That's probably the route I'll take.
They are much cheaper on Rockauto.com

With labor rates what they are a 2000.00 tank isn't that crazy. I got quoted 650.00 to vat, clean and seal some pinholes in a 40 tank.
A new tank from Toyota was about 400 at the time so new was better.
There's not enough volume to "mass produce" 60 tanks. They'll be hand built at 100.00~150.00 per hour.
Start to finish, it's a ten hour or better job. I built mine in twelve, not counting the time to reverse engineer and source
parts like senders, fillers, hoses and pickups.

You could put in a new OEM tank for about 1/2 the cost of the LRA tank if you don't care about the capacity :meh:

We keep them in stock

You stock OEM 60 fuel tanks? Thought there weren't too many left in the world, and the only way to get one was through the open factory recall.
Most OEM sources can't even sell the tank alone.

You stock OEM 60 fuel tanks? Thought there weren't too many left in the world, and the only way to get one was through the open factory recall.
Most OEM sources can't even sell the tank alone.

Yes, I have two right now, along with sending unit, level sender, all hardware, filler neck hoses, clamps, grommet, etc.
Along with our in-house in-tank pump kit for use with EFI.

We work on a lot of 60’s here. :)

For reference, Toyota replaced my fuel tank and available hoses earlier this year, per the recall, at no cost. If your VIN is eligible, try contacting Toyota USA Customer Service and politely escalate, if needed, to the manager then the manager's manager, etc.; politely. The local dealer crew wanted to be helpful but were uninformed. Toyota USA came through. Big thumbs up.

For reference, Toyota replaced my fuel tank and available hoses earlier this year, per the recall, at no cost. If your VIN is eligible, try contacting Toyota USA Customer Service and politely escalate, if needed, to the manager then the manager's manager, etc.; politely. The local dealer crew wanted to be helpful but were uninformed. Toyota USA came through. Big thumbs up.
Thanks for the suggestion. I’ve read a lot of the threads about the tank recall, but I believe mine was already completed in the 90s.

Y
Ive heard good things from radiator repair shops cleaning and relining the inside of gas tanks
Yeah I actually talked to a local shop that advertised tank restorations, they said it would be an absolute minimum of $800, more likely in the 1200-1500. I’m sure there are less expensive outfits, but even at half this price probably still makes more sense to go with OEM tank.

Yep. Love it man. What its all about.
Shucks, man, this site has given me so much help/advice, when I can add a bit, I'll do it. And, when a little humor is advisable, I'll add it.

Cheers, brother :beer:

@Old Nick the matchmaker.

That my thread.

I just called a couple of Toyota dealerships and was able to get one in the small town where my wife works.

Before you get too desperate, call the parts guy at the nearby small town dealerships, back when I bought it, the "don't sell, save for recalls" was a suggestion, not an order, so it's a call for each parts manager.

All in, including taxes it looks like I paid about $200 over list, but my wife brought it home in a few days.

If that fails, cruiser matt, or drop me a line (i'm not on regularly, and i bet matt ships)

I have a serviced rust free unit available if anyone is still looking. Heres a few photos of the unit.

IMG_1599.jpeg

IMG_1492.jpeg

IMG_1491.jpeg

IMG_1594.jpeg

IMG_1598.jpeg

I have 4 or 5 used tanks, will certainly need to be tanked. Not interested in shipping. Come get them. Free!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom