FJ55 Electric Power steering (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have a 77 55 and am convincing myself to go electric PS via City Racer. FYI I have a dealer installed Clardy AC system mounted top driver side of the 2F, w the alternator top passenger side. I'm hesitant to move the AC compressor for a couple of reasons (it works is #1), and don't lean toward adding another pulley drain on my motor, or welding/cutting the frame for 60 or Saginaw adaptions.....So.. leaning toward the electric package from City Racer... Any strong opinions yay or naye? I've searched the forum and can't find any real discussion about it...thanks

I have a 77 also. The cost and headache of messing with installing hydraulic power steering after the fact was not something I wanted to deal with.

I purchased my E power steering kit from ”epowersteering” (not trying to sell this supplier over any other) for around $550 about 4 or 5 years ago. I am not a professional welder put have a small mig unit for my car hobbies. I spent about 4 hours plotting out the install and started working on it Saturday morning and Sunday evening I had power steering functioning in my pig.

It was by far the best mod to my swine ever.. I was blown away...

It’s a dream off road in tight situations and takes a beating no problem.

35DB5E9B-E4CE-4A8F-806F-0362430A98AB.jpeg

6A78A4A5-77DC-40BD-819B-970A20F52FDE.jpeg

0A4AE42E-4555-4875-8221-B551333E1B28.jpeg

3B2BBC91-F287-4BE3-A14C-8BE59D96E027.jpeg

0B2E5095-0431-4622-9675-EDE44C2E8189.jpeg

More pics
Again not trying to sell anyone on any particular brand

Unfortunately I didn’t have as good of an experience with my e-power steering as @Gordobe . Mine ended up very glitchy. The manufacturer claimed it was a chip issue but it could never be resolved. I recently went to a traditional hydraulic system. I regret the time and expense of trouble shooting their system which didn’t seem to have a strong manufacturing support. Maybe you will have a better experience.

I have the electric PS on my BJ45 and love it. Until recently it has worked flawlessly and the wife can drive the troopy without any difficulty. We liked it so much I purchased the same unit from City Racer for our 40 project. They tuck away nicely and you can adjust the gain dependent upon you driving trails or highway.

Not sure what's going on with the Troopy but it coincides with my son running the batteries completely dead and us trying to get it started again.

I have a 69 so not sure how the kit would work but I am all ears to see it? Please send me some pics of your AC set also, I am doing a 2F swap into mine and am going to try to utilize the "Classicair" setup but after 40+ years I'm not sure how well its going to work. The fan blows but not sure how everything else works. My back up plan is to remove the AC system out of a donor rig I am picking up this weekend.

Only actual modification is to the steering column

960F068C-AFB8-471F-ACCA-92116EB0811C.jpeg

Only problem I had was due to a cheep fuse holder that came with the setup. I had good support in that Wayne sent new motor and control until I found the the bad fuse holder. Still working perfectly

Best wishes to all

Unfortunately I didn’t have as good of an experience with my e-power steering as @Gordobe . Mine ended up very glitchy. The manufacturer claimed it was a chip issue but it could never be resolved. I recently went to a traditional hydraulic system. I regret the time and expense of trouble shooting their system which didn’t seem to have a strong manufacturing support. Maybe you will have a better experience.
What system did you opt for?

I have the electric PS on my BJ45 and love it. Until recently it has worked flawlessly and the wife can drive the troopy without any difficulty. We liked it so much I purchased the same unit from City Racer for our 40 project. They tuck away nicely and you can adjust the gain dependent upon you driving trails or highway.

Not sure what's going on with the Troopy but it coincides with my son running the batteries completely dead and us trying to get it started again.

I have a 69 so not sure how the kit would work but I am all ears to see it? Please send me some pics of your AC set also, I am doing a 2F swap into mine and am going to try to utilize the "Classicair" setup but after 40+ years I'm not sure how well its going to work. The fan blows but not sure how everything else works. My back up plan is to remove the AC system out of a donor rig I am picking up this weekend.
Thanks for the PS 411.. I'm dependent on an AC guy for anything technical when it comes to the units. I will post some pics of mine.. I know my Clardy system AC was dealer installed before it originally sold in Cali in 77. It has a under dash unit as well as a rear unit. I used it this past week going up to Uhawrrie Carolina relic run for the first time and it was incredible w 1 exception.. Both boxes have leaky seams and I did not anticipate that. Water created by both internal units did not get to the drain tubes so I have to do a reseal prior to next use...

Back to the PS, you're happy enough to do it again via City Racer.. $$$'s are a factor, but it looks like a straight forward install...

I have a 77 also. The cost and headache of messing with installing hydraulic power steering after the fact was not something I wanted to deal with.

I purchased my E power steering kit from ”epowersteering” (not trying to sell this supplier over any other) for around $550 about 4 or 5 years ago. I am not a professional welder put have a small mig unit for my car hobbies. I spent about 4 hours plotting out the install and started working on it Saturday morning and Sunday evening I had power steering functioning in my pig.

It was by far the best mod to my swine ever.. I was blown away...

It’s a dream off road in tight situations and takes a beating no problem.

View attachment 2696682

View attachment 2696683

View attachment 2696684

View attachment 2696685

View attachment 2696686
I just went thru your response for the 3rd time.. Thanks much... Excellent w the pics and guidance.. Looking at both epower and City Racer... My take-away lesson learned is strong yes from you..

I am looking in to this for the firetruck because I need to go to a smaller steering wheel (cuz I'm not freakin' 5' tall!). Problem I'm worried about now is that it's 3 on the tree... I wonder if I can clear that shifter rod somehow?

I am looking in to this for the firetruck because I need to go to a smaller steering wheel (cuz I'm not freakin' 5' tall!). Problem I'm worried about now is that it's 3 on the tree... I wonder if I can clear that shifter rod somehow?
Talk to City Racer? Way over my pay grade...

I'm worried about now is that it's 3 on the tree... I wonder if I can clear that shifter rod somehow?

I don't see how it can work with the shift rod going down the side of the steering column (unless it designed different than my column shift. You can convert to a stick shift.

I don't see how it can work with the shift rod going down the side of the steering column (unless it designed different than my column shift. You can convert to a stick shift.

Ya, I think that's going to be the choice. I hate to detract from the funkiness of this by getting rid of the column shift tho. Maybe I"ll just see if a smaller steering wheel with a truckers knob on it will suffice.

Two things...
1st I love your firetruck....
2nd I havent read anything that suggests it wont work w 3 on a tree but I have no idea...
Again, love the firetruck
Thanks! The funkiness of this truck is so worth it. Not sure if I'll take it on the freeway with open cab and just lap belts. My wife will put an end to that before I get out of the driveway. I'm also liable to get in trouble with the sirens and rotating beacon. I'm a child you see...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom