Fj45 build (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello guys I am new to the forums and to the 40 series world I have just bought my first 40 and I am loving it already.
Mine is a 1978 fj45 with the stock 2f and I am slowing turning it back to how it was from factory, it has a aftermarket electric fuel pump and the factory one has been bypassed, I am trying to return this back to stock as the electric fuel pump clicking is so annoying and it looks a bit dodgy with the stock fuel lines just floating above the original pump, I have just bought the one attached below but it is the wrong one and I am wondering if some one can tell me what it is off?

20201201_200222.jpg

20201201_200133.jpg

20201201_194939.jpg

20201201_195013.jpg

20201201_195055.jpg

the fuel pump in the last pic is for Jan 1979+ at least in the US
you would need a pump for Dec 1978- it should only have 2 lines, 1 in and 1 out
the pump with 3 lines needs a spacer between it and the block

Very nice 45!
But, even in Australia the bezel is upside down. Just helping you turn "it back to how it was from factory" ;) .

I'm also having a bit of trouble with it idling, it is fine if its under acceleration but when you take your foot off the gas it runs ok for maybe 10 seconds and then it starts reving high and then splutters and dies im thinking maybe go up a size in idle jets?
Any ideas would be appreciated

Sounds like a vacuum leak , spray some carb cleaner around the intake, carb, while running. If the rpms go up you have a leak. One small vacuum hose can cause a lot of problems running and idling! Nice 45 mate!

Ok so I sprayed all around the carb and intake and all the vacuum lines with carb cleaner and couldn't hear any difference in rpm levels so what is the next thing I should be looking at?

if you can find an H55/Split case combo it will fit with some clearancing and a new cross member. There are a lot of threads on that here. You will lose the parking brake though.

Okay so I am still having trouble with the 45 idling and I decided to do a compression test and the results where:
Cylinder no. 1= 145 psi
No. 2 = 124
No. 3 = 125
No. 4 = 125
No. 5 = 120
No. 6 = 147
I am thinking these are pretty good results but what do you guys think?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom