FJ40 Wiring Help (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Help! Can someone please tell me what/where the green connector circled in red goes to? It comes off the wire harness located on the passenger fender near the igniter/coil on a 5/1977 FJ40.

Thanks!
Jeff
0F3B9F23-6989-4793-8A09-AD35989073BD.jpeg

Help! Can someone please tell me what/where the green connector circled in red goes to? It comes off the wire harness located on the passenger fender near the igniter/coil on a 5/1977 FJ40.

Thanks!
Jeff
View attachment 1683092

That red wire comes from Your Distributor & Goes to / Plugs into Your igniter , see the R wire in the diagram

DSCN0211.JPG

Thanks Matt.

If the wire circled in red goes to the igniter then where does the wire circled in blue go?
047A2620-CF72-4B33-9FE3-52C2CB3A4848.jpeg

Thanks Matt.

If the wire circled in red goes to the igniter then where does the wire circled in blue go?
View attachment 1683188

Please confirm the wire circled in blue is a Black Wire w/white tracer stripe ?

its a bit hard to tell from the pic.

It is a black wire with a white stripe and green connector.

Take Note of the Starter Motor detail in the wire diagram , there is a black wire w/ white tracer stripe that goes to the positive side of the ignition coil , but oddly o_O changes to a white / W wire

preform a continuity test on the black wire w / white tracer strip u have circled in blue and see if the same black wire w / white tracer stripe U have at your starter ?

it just might be

and or there could be a missing short white wire pigtail , or the W wire is a miss-print in the EWD diagram

Check Your Igniter / Ignition coil set up , The wire the green connector plugs into on it Might Just be a White wire

this would explain the change in wire color on the EWD Diagram

That Black/White is the ballast bypass wire. It plugs into a male connector from the + side of the ignition coil. It's function is to provide the coil with the full battery voltage for easier starting. Once the truck starts the coil gets it's voltage through the ballast resistor. Here is a drawing I did for the 1977 ignition circuit...

Starter_IgnitionCircuits.jpg

Coolerman, I have decided that you almost certainly are a hoarder.

Note the date, time, and even day of the week....

In this case, and so many others on these forums, your OCD is to our benefit. :clap:

Coolerman, I have decided that you almost certainly are a hoarder.

Note the date, time, and even day of the week....

In this case, and so many others on these forums, your OCD is to our benefit. :clap:

LOL--love it--Saturday night, not much going on, I think I will do a super detailed and accurate schematic for my 77's starter/ignition circuit

I've said it before. He is Gandalf of FJ40 electronics. He is a, doubt him and he'll zap your ass, freakin wizard.

I get asked all the time how I came about my FJ40 electrical knowledge. It all started when I could not figure out my 2/71 FJ40 electrical issues despite the fact I have a degree in electronics. I thought, "How can a simple 12V DC circuit cause me so much grief?" Long story short: GROUNDS!!! In order to help me figure this out I documented my 2/71 harness...

I'm a visual person. I have to SEE, in schematic format, how a circuit works before I understand it. That is why I have traced out every wire in every circuit for most of the 63 to 78 FJ40's. (Still have not done a 1973 or a 1975 as those harnesses seem to be pretty rare and one has not crossed my work bench yet.)

It takes me about 40-60 total hours to fully tear a harness apart and document it. If I decide to build that year harness new for sale, I create a jig board, (4x8 sheet of plywood that the harness circuit is drawn on it full scale so that a new one can be built. ) Add another 10-15 hours for that. Then 4-8 hours to create a build sheet from my drawings for that jig board and verify that it is correct.

I'm not an expert at anything, but electrical is what I am most comfortable with. I, like most here, still turn to folks like FJ40Jim, Orange45, Pin Head, Poser, and the many others here with far more mechanical knowledge than I for help.

Hoarder? Thankfully not of FJ40 parts, but of FJ40 electrical knowledge? Why... YES I AM! :D

FYI: Some of my drawings even include the current weather outside!

and that as they say is that! :grinpimp:

I get asked all the time how I came about my FJ40 electrical knowledge. It all started when I could not figure out my 2/71 FJ40 electrical issues despite the fact I have a degree in electronics. I thought, "How can a simple 12V DC circuit cause me so much grief?" Long story short: GROUNDS!!! In order to help me figure this out I documented my 2/71 harness...

I'm a visual person. I have to SEE, in schematic format, how a circuit works before I understand it. That is why I have traced out every wire in every circuit for most of the 63 to 78 FJ40's. (Still have not done a 1973 or a 1975 as those harnesses seem to be pretty rare and one has not crossed my work bench yet.)

It takes me about 40-60 total hours to fully tear a harness apart and document it. If I decide to build that year harness new for sale, I create a jig board, (4x8 sheet of plywood that the harness circuit is drawn on it full scale so that a new one can be built. ) Add another 10-15 hours for that. Then 4-8 hours to create a build sheet from my drawings for that jig board and verify that it is correct.

I'm not an expert at anything, but electrical is what I am most comfortable with. I, like most here, still turn to folks like FJ40Jim, Orange45, Pin Head, Poser, and the many others here with far more mechanical knowledge than I for help.

Hoarder? Thankfully not of FJ40 parts, but of FJ40 electrical knowledge? Why... YES I AM! :D

FYI: Some of my drawings even include the current weather outside!

and that as they say is that! :grinpimp:
Nice man. Do you sell entire harnesses?

I can build new harnesses for 1963 to 9/1971 FJ40's. Anything after 9/1971 you are SOL. There are OEM connectors that cannot be gotten, so I do not build those, I just document them.

If you have a later harness that is in pretty good shape, has not been in a fire, had a meltdown in the charge circuit, is not covered in paint, under coating, or heavy grease. It can be repaired and refurbished to look almost new.

I only do full harness building in the winter months due to my day job keeping me really busy. I will build rear chassis harnesses, bib harnesses, or wiper harness any time. I also sell parts anytime.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom