FJ40 front drive shaft hits tranny (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
The previous owner converted this to a 350 Chevy. Now the transmission pan touches the front driveshaft. Any suggestions on how to fix this? I'm thinking a smaller diameter driveshaft, but not sure where to get one that will be strong enough.

@Downey is your number one resource on this. Their super-slim adapter had the most clearance issues, so Jim put a lot of brain-power into solutions. The only one I remember offhand is the one he sold me, utilizing something like a modified 280Z yoke and flange.

I've since sold it to a friend who wanted/needed it more, or I'd snap you a pic.

If you are running a GM auto tranny you will need the smaller front upper u-joint and flange that is still available from AA. Even with it you have to grind/dent-in the tranny oil pan slightly. If you are running the TH350 you could modify the tranny oil pan to your hearts content, but if you are running the 700R4 you can only dent-in the corner of the oil pan less than 1/4" before hitting internal tranny parts. Also, the outer flange of the oil pan (that points straight downward towards the u-joint) has to be ground off. Any modifications to the oil pan should be done with the oil pan tightly bolted to the tranny case so that you don't warp the oil pan, making it a permanent leaker.

Thanks for all the advice. I am running a TH 350. If I could get a smaller diameter driveshaft, that would be ideal. currently there is 1/32 of a gap between the side of the pan and the shaft. So a half inch smaller shaft would be perfect.

Thanks. My yoke has plenaty of room. The 2" diameter shaft is to big in diameter. This is what contacts the xmsn pan.

Perhaps you have an aftermarket larger capacity tranny oil pan, normally the stock Landcruiser shaft diameter clears the stock tranny oil pan, plus if you did have only 1/32" clearance, that's enough since the shaft and pan should never get closer to one another???

Good point, but I'd feel a lot more comfortable with 1/2" clearance.. perhaps I can find a local shop to build me one...

Perhaps you have an aftermarket larger capacity tranny oil pan, normally the stock Landcruiser shaft diameter clears the stock tranny oil pan, plus if you did have only 1/32" clearance, that's enough since the shaft and pan should never get closer to one another???

I have a deep oil pan with conflict issues on front drive shaft. Are you saying I could use a standard th350 oil pan standard flange and yokes and thinner drive shaft?

That is the plan for me. It depends on amount of interference/clearance.

I ground a bit of the pan flange and used the aa teeny tiny u joint kit. No more issues.

D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom