FJ40 Axle bearing problem (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So i tore down my axle to blast, paint and replace bearings and seals, It is a 72 non floater axle. Installed new KOYO bearings and after the inner races were pressed onto the axle shafts the bearings no longer fit over the inner race on the axle. If anyone has run into this and has a solution please give me some ideas. If anyone has a source for genuine Toyota bearings I would be willing to try that. My local Toyota parts department is no help for parts.

There must be a crack on the inner race, never heard of this.

Wow I’m about to have the same job done in a couple weeks. That’s a worry. Do you still have the old bearings, do they fit?

Did you check the fit of the inner race into the bearing before mounting either to ensure they fit together? If I remember correctly they come in separate boxes and maybe you were given a miss matched pair of parts.

I have the old bearings and they do not fit on the race either. Bearing and race were in the same box and I believe the race was inserted into the bearing when I opened the box. Have a request with bearing MFR for the min/max shaft diameter required for the inner race. With that information I should be able to measure the axle OD and determine where the problem is. I ran across something like this years ago rebuilding Japanese motorcycles. The bearing numbers looked like a standard size bearing but there was some type of designation that was different and the bearings were manufactured to the customers spec's, Yamaha, Honda etc. The OD was standard but ID was a custom size.

Is this the bearings you bought?

IMG_6999.jpeg

I think I would measure the OD of the inner race installed and then again with it removed. I have found bearing races to be more flexible than I would have ever previously believed. Although I have the other style bearings as kerplunk mentioned, I had a similar problem with distorted outer races after installing. “HERE”

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom