FJ-43 Hoop Step Installation (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
For normal day to day driving, I decided install side steps to help getting in and out of the my FJ-43.

Couple of reasons for this:
-I'm a big guy (6' 220lbs) and the OEM running board is starting to give and twist under my weight.
-My wife is 5'4" which make the 2.5" lift with 33" wheels challenging for her.

I wanted something simple and easy to take off and on so I could remove them when off-roading.

I looking around and quickly found out that no one makes a simple bolt on step for 40 series so I decided to just get something that I could adapt myself. I ended up going with the Carr Hoop II steps and will make a custom bracket to install them. These will each have four 1/4"bolts that can be quickly removed to take them off. I can also use four 1/4" x 2 1/2" agriculture pins instead of the bolts which make removal very quick and easy.

I am on planning to fabricate the bracket to attach the steps to and to reinforce the OEM running board attach points.

4EE2F48B-C6E0-4C5B-97E4-A2662D63635C_1_201_a.jpeg

92CD2E2C-2BAA-46DF-8618-0B01B638110C.jpeg

BA628128-6C12-4118-AE01-5277BA05CB79.jpeg

Last edited:
I started by using some 3/16 plywood to mock up the four brackets needed to bolt the hoop to. These will then be welded to the 2" x 3/16" x 24"steel flatbar that will be bolting to the inside of the lower panel using the OEM running board bolts. I also have a small piece of steel channel that I will use as a diagonal brace that will be secured to the floor with a bolt and welded to the 2" flatbar.

FCE36FFC-E123-41B5-AF06-FE41D781DC39.jpeg

A0901981-56AC-44BD-9F1F-2D21AFAABB71.jpeg

E9125389-1A97-411E-BC64-7509856D3240.jpeg

Here are the preliminary dimensions of the brackets. Please note that these were made to fit my FJ and I highly recommend that if you want to use this setup, make a mock up using plywood first and make sure works with your FJ. This includes the bolt hole locations on the 2" flat bar. The assembly drawing is for the driver side and will need to be mirrored for the passenger side.

Attachments

• Hoop Step Brackets.pdf
    1.1 MB · Views: 167
Last edited:
After a little time with the band saw, drill press, and grinder, the bracket pieces are all ready for welding.

Worth noting that the OEM running board bolt locations seem to be just randomly placed so you will need to make a wood template piece for the 2" x 25" flat bar and mark the holes for each side separately. It took a couple of iterations before I got the wood piece holes aligned correctly.

D0F521AE-8779-4AD0-A7B7-7C047E1BC90A.jpeg

Last edited:
That’s just sheet metal your thinking about attaching to. At 220lbs you’ll bend the s***e! Just saying...
I went ahead and changed the diagonal brace out to a 1-1/2" square tube that attaches back to the frame. This made the setup rock solid and supports the running boards also. I will post the final pics once painting and installation is finished.

1587064202100.jpeg

Last edited:
Here is the final installation. Note that I had to make the bracket in two pieces on the passenger side to get around my exhaust which is on the outside of the frame.

View attachment 2275319

View attachment 2275320

View attachment 2275321

View attachment 2275322
Sorry for the delay in getting back, thanks for your help, this is great!
I'm not skilled enough to handle this, but there is a small metal fabricating shop near the house.
I'm sure they'll be able to replicate your work. Hopefully our State/ Country gets back to some normalcy so we can all start cruising!

I mounted the double wide CARR steps on mine. Most of the same reasons... also lost the running boards 20+ years ago
image 3.jpg
image 2.jpg
image.jpg

I’d have preferred black, but these were an open box special from Amazon. So far I’ve not bothered to paint them. There’s tons of clearance under them for most wheeling... they’ll come off in about five minutes when they’re going to be an issue.

Last edited:
Sorry for the delay in getting back, thanks for your help, this is great!
I'm not skilled enough to handle this, but there is a small metal fabricating shop near the house.
I'm sure they'll be able to replicate your work. Hopefully our State/ Country gets back to some normalcy so we can all start cruising!
Dude, you should make kits. You could sell to so many people who need this; only guy on the market who would be offering it!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom