Fitting a large National Luna fridge in a 200 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I've been researching dual zone fridges for some time now and am almost ready to order, but I'm having some trouble figuring out exactly what size I can fit. Family of 5 (3 kids 10 and under), plus a 50lb mutt in a crate. 3rd row seats removed. passenger side cargo area currently has a homemade 10"h platform with the dog crate on it. Plan is to replace this with a 10"h Reef drawer from Landshark Outfitters this winter. The drivers side cargo area currently i have 2 Canyon coolers, a large 75qt for food and a smaller 22qt for beer (approx 91L total capacity). Plan is to replace both of these coolers with a Dual Zone National Luna. I've spoke in length with @Equipt (awesome++ service by the way), as well as Drew over at Snomaster.

Size wise I'd like our family of 5 to be able to travel without resupply for approx 7 day range. This I think lands me in the National Luna Legacy line at either the NL72 or the NL90. Both have exactly the same exterior size dimensions, both dual zone, both same price. Advantage of the NL72 (71.3L) is it has 60mm insulation all around and dual doors on top. NL90 advantage is it'd give me 85.3L capacity in the same exterior size. Trade off being the NL90 only has 1 door on top, so even if you just want something outta the fridge side, you are opening the whole lid. Other trade off is the fridge side insulation is thinner 42mm. the freezer side is still 60mm though. Snomaster i was also interested in, the EX85 has 70mm insulation, but due to thick insulation the comparable size models are about 4" taller which i'm not a fan of.

So curious if anybody with a 200 has fit either of these larger models and how they fit. Closest thread i could find in searches:

National Luna vs ARB Fridge in a 200 question

where @Romer posted that he was trying to fit a smaller NL60 on top of this sliding ARB drawers. Im not sure of my end all be all configuration but for the time being my plan was to put on the cargo floor, either on the fixed National Luna platform (bolted down some how), or else also considering the full Goose Gear base, and then attaching the fridge with straps to that. I'm not against slides, and may end up there, it's just very limited options for fridges this large and quite expensive.

So, measurement wise both the NL72 and NL90 legacy dual zones measure 33"L x 20"W x 21"H. That's all fine and dandy and fits fine. The 1 measurement that concerns me is with the lid open the height is 38.58". From what i can figure out that puts the lid about 1/2" shy of being able to open completely 90 degrees. I measure 38" even from cargo floor carpet, to headliner of the tailgate. I'm not sure if this would land me in the same boat as @Romer had where he couldn't open the door enough to get the baskets out. Or, if it being within a 1/2" of being fully open if I'd still be able to get the baskets out. I know NL makes those red replacement hinges that the backup solution would be just to take the lid off every time. Sounds super easy and very inexpensive, just can't tell if that'd be a pain on a regular basis. The NL 60 is the the next size down that would completely fit, only 35.94" open height, but i just don't think it's an ideal size for 5 of us. Thoughts, advice, expertise, and pictures much appreciated.

NL compare.jpg

IMG_5828.jpg

you would only need to take the baskets out :
  1. if you had stuff in a lower basket
  2. You need to take the baskets out to store stuff
Depending on your load, you may not want the top basket in the freezer and one of the top baskets in the fridge

Red hings has not been a problem at all

you would only need to take the baskets out :
  1. if you had stuff in a lower basket
  2. You need to take the baskets out to store stuff
Depending on your load, you may not want the top basket in the freezer and one of the top baskets in the fridge

Red hings has not been a problem at all
Thanks for the feedback. So for general use (like driving) I'd either just have to be conscious when loading and store what i think i'm going to need on top baskets, or else just not use 1 of the top baskets on each side like you said.

Then at camp or grocery store I'd basically just remove the lid if i needed access to the bottom baskets.

So the way your setup is on the drawers, the majority of the time you grab something do you just open the lid as much as you can...or do you usually just remove the lid? Just curious if the red hinges really are so easy to remove and reinstall the lid, that it wouldn't be an issue to have that be the regular way you accessed contents. Basically just asking if that'd be a pain to remove the lid every time if that was your only option

In your opinion, would would you say 72 vs 90L would be a better fit for a family of 5? Again, same physical exterior dimensions on the 2 models, just thicker insulation and the dual lid on the smaller NL72

One thing i did just realize that might work for me is if i went for the NL72 I would then gain the split lid. Not sure why NL only has that one model with the split lid. Snomaster has that on almost all of them. makes sense to me to be able to leave the freezer sealed when just taking out fridge contents. Anyways, the headliner in the middle and front of the cargo area is much taller (about 40"). So, if i oriented the fridge so the more often used fridge compartment was forward in the truck, i'd be able to open that door all the way (only 38.58"h). Usually i think of the rear of the truck would have my fridge side, but i could just as easily get fridge contents reaching over the 2nd row. Possibly even easier that i wouldn't have to have my tailgate and swingouts open.

IMG_5838.jpg

Thanks for the feedback. So for general use (like driving) I'd either just have to be conscious when loading and store what i think i'm going to need on top baskets, or else just not use 1 of the top baskets on each side like you said.

Then at camp or grocery store I'd basically just remove the lid if i needed access to the bottom baskets.

So the way your setup is on the drawers, the majority of the time you grab something do you just open the lid as much as you can...or do you usually just remove the lid? Just curious if the red hinges really are so easy to remove and reinstall the lid, that it wouldn't be an issue to have that be the regular way you accessed contents. Basically just asking if that'd be a pain to remove the lid every time if that was your only option

In your opinion, would would you say 72 vs 90L would be a better fit for a family of 5? Again, same physical exterior dimensions on the 2 models, just thicker insulation and the dual lid on the smaller NL72

One thing i did just realize that might work for me is if i went for the NL72 I would then gain the split lid. Not sure why NL only has that one model with the split lid. Snomaster has that on almost all of them. makes sense to me to be able to leave the freezer sealed when just taking out fridge contents. Anyways, the headliner in the middle and front of the cargo area is much taller (about 40"). So, if i oriented the fridge so the more often used fridge compartment was forward in the truck, i'd be able to open that door all the way (only 38.58"h). Usually i think of the rear of the truck would have my fridge side, but i could just as easily get fridge contents reaching over the 2nd row. Possibly even easier that i wouldn't have to have my tailgate and swingouts open.

View attachment 2379314

The only time I take the top off is when we are doing a grocery run and need to fill the fridge. I just take the baskets out and use the whole room of the fridge and dont need to remove the lid for access.

When I went wheeling, I left the baskets in because my lunch fit in a top basket and you can access the fridge easily enough with the lid on. To get to the bottom basket, the top basket has to come straight up to clear the fridge before you can remove it.

Ended up calling @Equipt the next day again. I just got to say again how blown away by the customer service I was by that place. Taking the time to explain all my greenhorn questions on wiring, solar, dual batteries ect, as well as to work through all the configurations and sizes to find what'd be the best fit for our family. Highly recommended, I haven't had personal service like that i can remember in many years.

Well I was lucky i called back, because the NL72S, which ended up being my 1st pick, turned out that there was one available on the container en route from South Africa. Previously I had inquired and was expecting to wait til some time 2021 before id be able to get my hands on that model. So, the more I thought about it the 72 sounded like the best configuration. It's one of only 2 legacy models that has the split lid. The other advantage of this is that being the cargo roof in the 200 is about 1.5" higher further forward in the cargo area of the truck, i'll be able to open that forward door all the way just reaching over the 2nd row seat. It's also 60mm insulation on both compartments, so with that I'm able to use either side as the freezer if i need to change the configuration. I did also order the red hinges as well so when needing full access to the bottom baskets to restock, I'll just remove the lids completely. I'll post up some pics when i get it.

I have been real happy with my legacy fridge. Dual lids would be nice, but wasnt that big a deal. The 72 would be just to big for me

I agree, Equipt is one of the best companies out there for customer service

You will be very happy with it

I have been real happy with my legacy fridge. Dual lids would be nice, but wasnt that big a deal. The 72 would be just to big for me

I agree, Equipt is one of the best companies out there for customer service

You will be very happy with it
Thanks for all the advice. Very excited. Yeah i think 90 woulda been too big for us, but 72 should be just right.

Thanks for all the advice. Very excited. Yeah i think 90 woulda been too big for us, but 72 should be just right.

Paul at Equipt has always been as you describe. Great, helpful folks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom