First TLC, First Post, I'm loving it... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Congrats on the ride! Seems like we have a lot of guys on here from the ATL. Once you get ready to start modding, take your ride to ACC in Atlanta: ACC Toyota Truck & Land Cruiser . They are Mud approved and even have a section on this forum. Brian, Michael and Will do excellent work and they are always up for talking shop.

Nick (2000UZJ) and Peymon (sp?) (Pman) are always taking trips up to N. GA and they can show you how best to ruin that nice paint job.

perfect timing, i was about to message 2000UZJ after noticing he too was from the ATL area. I was going to ask if he could refer me to a shop with TLC mod experience.

Took my TLC to a local truck accessory shop to discuss the cost for a 1.5-2'' lift. After pointing him to the right website for TLC lift/diff drop kits, he stated "I won't give you a receipt after the work" because slee/ome was not available from one of his distributors. In other words, they'd never worked on a LC. Nice guys, but I think their forte is chevy/ford pickups.

Anyway, so yea, thanks, I'll check out ACC.

Last edited:
Nick (2000UZJ) and Peymon (sp?) (Pman) are always taking trips up to N. GA and they can show you how best to ruin that nice paint job.

I'm always going to N.GA in search of the best and prettiest FS roads in GA, not to damage my paint or my rig, it happens when you do that. Your not on the street. I have found quite a few. Going back and running this one in a week or so.

DSC02202.JPG

perfect timing, i was about to message 2000UZJ after noticing he too was from the ATL area. I was going to ask if he could refer me to a shop with TLC mod experience.

Took my TLC to a local truck accessory shop to discuss the cost for a 1.5-2'' lift. After pointing him to the right website for TLC lift/diff drop kits, he stated "I won't give you a receipt after the work" because slee/ome was not available from one of his distributors. In other words, they'd never worked on a LC. Nice guys, but I think their forte is chevy/ford pickups.

Anyway, so yea, thanks, I'll check out ACC.

ACC Toyota is a great shop, they are very reasonable and the turn around time is quick, they are very knowledgeable about the 100 Series platform and can do just about anything you could ever want and build anything you could ever need. You even get a nifty sticker when you get your truck back. What more could you ask for?

There is a growing presence in 100's in Atlanta. Always nice to know I'm not the only one out there like i used to be

aight, so after a long discussion with the wifey today I received the green light to start on my upgrades. After reading tons of threads here on MUD regarding what, how, and how much, I've decided to plop down the doe on the following:

1. Tundra 18s for a wheel upgrade. I sold my full size truck on 20s before buying my Cruiser (affectionately known as "Greenie"), and can't get over the drop to factor 16s. 18s look great IMO.
  2. As for tires, well, hard one here but as of today my heart is set on Toyo Open Country A/Ts, 275/70/18. From what I've read here and on the tire reviews, this tire seems to have above average off road capability without totally sacrificing on-road comfort.
  3. The Slee Medium Load 2.5" Kit seems rather popular and tested as far as a suspension upgrade goes. My cruiser will be 90% on the road and I don't have immediate plans to add bumpers, so this appears like a wise choice all things considering. My hope is this lift will provide the added safety for off road while not producing a rough rid on road.

Already have the wheels but will start ordering the suspension and tires in a day or two. I'd really like to install the suspension kit myself, but I have to be honest with myself which leaves me with having to hire someone to do it (I'd break something for sure).

A local shop here in West GA, apparently accustomed to only working on Fords and Chevy's, quoted me $750 for the install. I sure hope I can find a better deal than this, and am curious if anyone knows the going rate in the Atlanta area. I will give ACC a call soon to see what they will charge.

Sliders will come in a month or two, but with the above in mind I should be able to off road comfortably without too much worry of screwing something up....

Thoughts?

:D

Toyo Open Country will be perfect for the GA FS roads. The OME lift is pretty straight forward to install. Springs and shocks are very simple (except the rears which really aren't that bad if no rust), I have yet to do torsion bars but looking to do them in the summer. I would let ACC install the torsion bars.

come put the Toyo's to the test at Uhwarrie :)

(fwiw: I wheel the snot out of mine for 2 years with no sliders, pick your lines carefully and you will be fine)

few pics from a semi off road Easter weekend. Cruiser is still 100% stock, but I have to say she handled everything perfectly...even with nearly bald tires.

pasture trails, drainage ditch crossings, a half mile of creek bottom, some mud, and a few moderate climbs made up the adventure. This was nothing serious, but it did give me a chance to finally take her off road.

I noticed a scraping, almost grinding sound, after coming out of a creek or when making it through mud bottoms. I sorta at first panicked thinking it was my center differential, but noticed the sound came from my brakes? Anyway, I believe it was mud on the pads because it eventually went away, then came back after more mud, then went away again. Anyone have this issue?

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Brakes will growl when wet

I assume so. Had the wife drive it with the hood up so I could zero in on the sound, and it was coming from the brakes/wheel well area. First came from the front right, then stopped after driving some, then came from the back after running through more water and mud. I was not submersing the cruiser into anything deep in terms of water but we did run through some so-so deep mud.

aight, so while I wait for my suspension kit to arrive in the mail I went ahead and updated my head unit in Greenie. In doing so, I didn't want GPS or DVD. I did want something with a nob to turn so as to not kill myself touching/looking at a screen. Also wanted something that would match the green back lighting from factory and something with rear USB so I can lock up the ipod in the glove box. Ended up going with:

JVC KW-XR810 Double-DIN Bluetooth Dual USB/CD Receiver with USB 2.0 for iPod/iPhone, and Bluetooth/Satellite/HD Radio add-on capability

Paid like $220 for it. In addition to rear USB, it has a front USB and aux plug (guess this should come in handy if a friend wants to jack in their own ipod). Also ran the bluetooth mic just above my steering wheel and below my speedo instrument panel. Don't have a mobile phone that will integrate with the mic, yet, but perhaps one day.

All in all I'm happy with the appearance and performance. The corner tweeters do have an almost unnoticeable buzz in them at really low volume levels after install. Not sure yet, but I may have someone who knows what they're doing take a look at it.

aight, so stage 1 of my upgrades is complete, and to recap included:

1. removal of all the crappy stuff: brush guards, running boards, hood protector/wind thingy.
  2. installed new head unit, JVC KW-XR810 Double-DIN Bluetooth Dual USB/CD Receiver with USB 2.0 for iPod/iPhone, and Bluetooth/Satellite/HD Radio add-on capability
  3. installed the slee medium load 2.5'' lift kit: 860 Rear Coil Springs, torsion bars, differential drop, but opted for the old OME shocks, not the Sports
  4. installed Tundy 18's with 285/65/18 Nitto TG's
Can't be more pleased with appearance.

Was worried about the height of the lift being too much, which it wasn't. Ended up having the nose 1'' lower than the rear for the added down slope.

Went back and forth with what size tires to buy with the lift, and going 285 was defiantly a better pick over the 275s. In fact, if I've learned anything it is bigger looks better....maybe 305's next go around.

No matter how much I read, I was not 100% certain that the center caps from the factor 16's would fit on the Tundy 18's without spacers or trimming. The old caps fit right on, no problems at all.

Few pics:

This is the only pic i took from right after i bought it. Pic shows the brush guards and running boards.

this one from after removing running board and brush guards.....note the itty bitty tires

this pic is after the lift kit but before new wheels and tires

and then finally today, tires and wheels (note: the ground was not completely level so its a bit hard to notice the nose being a bit lower)

next will be sliders. Think I like the WKs best, but honestly I've spent enough doe for now, sliders will come in a month or two.

Another newbie in Atlanta with an '04 TLC

I just bought mine last weekend. '04 with 62,xxx miles, completely stock, from a motivated stealership in Alabama (so no taxes). I look forward to seeing you guys around town. I live about 2 miles from ACC, so I'll definitely use their services. Not much offroad for me - just pulling a one horse trailer and hauling the family around.

Hound Dog.

Hound Dog said:
I just bought mine last weekend. '04 with 62,xxx miles, completely stock, from a motivated stealership in Alabama (so no taxes). I look forward to seeing you guys around town. I live about 2 miles from ACC, so I'll definitely use their services. Not much offroad for me - just pulling a one horse trailer and hauling the family around.

Hound Dog.

Welcome. Good to see another ATL owner.

living that close to ACC would put a hurtin on the wallet

ACC did the lift for me, great guys, very competitive pricing. Brian and the guys were easy to talk to and kept me involved along the way with timing and particulars.

Griffin, that looks good. We need to all get together and run some FS roads soon.

defiantly ready for some off road, especially a day trip or two. GSMTR looks fun but work may get in the way.

defiantly ready for some off road, especially a day trip or two. GSMTR looks fun but work may get in the way.

Shoot me a PM if you are free this weekend. I may be able to sneak away for a few hours. Where in W.GA are you?

I'm in Villa Rica, just west of Douglasville and 40 mins from downtown. Not far.

well, well, well, look what was left at my door yesterday :D

small hint - darn thing is heeeavy as ****

WKOR sliders in dah house! woot!

Will bolt them on after work today...can't wait.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom