First FJ40 Project--Here I Go (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

OKMike

SILVER Star
Threads
Howdy All:

Just wanted to introduce myself and my new project. My first ever FJ 40 arrived yesterday. Its going to be a project vehicle for my son and me (he's 16). It's in rough shape (see pics) but we're excited to be taking on the challenge. Its a 77 FJ40 but according to the engine serial # the engine is a 1982 2F.

I've done a lot of general auto repairs and suspension work over the years but I'm a noob when it comes to carbureted engines. Likewise I've never welded or done any kind of bodywork so I'm looking forward picking your collective brains about how to get started learning those skills and how to start attacking the rust on this beast--both the surface rust and the parts that are rusted beyond repair.

I appreciate everyone sharing their knowledge, talent, and passion for these vehicles on this forum. Looking forward to any advice you care to offer now and in the months to come. Cheers!

Mike

IMG_2969.jpg
IMG_2982.jpg

IMG_2966.jpg

that tub is pretty rotten. depending on your budget vs what you want to try to do for sake of learning and experience an aftermarket aluminum tub might be worth exploring. search aqualu tub here and you’ll get lots of info. i’m going that way because it’ll cost about twice what steel panels will cost me but it’s the hours of work i’m not willing to do because i just have that kind of time. have fun with it!!

Good looking patina on there. That rear 1/2 of the tub looks pretty shot. A 1/2 tub would probably be the easiest way to go. It's going to be a fun project!

that tub is pretty rotten. depending on your budget vs what you want to try to do for sake of learning and experience an aftermarket aluminum tub might be worth exploring. search aqualu tub here and you’ll get lots of info. i’m going that way because it’ll cost about twice what steel panels will cost me but it’s the hours of work i’m not willing to do because i just have that kind of time. have fun with it!!
Yeah, I'm afraid the tub is beyond saving. Appreciate the info on aqualu tub. Have seen a few tubs on the Cruiser parts sites but they are $$$.

Good looking patina on there. That rear 1/2 of the tub looks pretty shot. A 1/2 tub would probably be the easiest way to go. It's going to be a fun project!
Thanks. I think you're right--a 1/2 tub is going on the long list of things I'll need. :)

Yeah, I'm afraid the tub is beyond saving. Appreciate the info on aqualu tub. Have seen a few tubs on the Cruiser parts sites but they are $$$.
Since you’re going restomod, the Aqualu is hard to beat. You’ll still get time to learn to weld on all the other projects. And they are stout.

Since you’re going restomod, the Aqualu is hard to beat. You’ll still get time to learn to weld on all the other projects. And they are stout.
Replacing the tub would take a lot of pressure off me and my still non-existent welding skills. :) I still don’t really understand how one replaces a tub LOL. I assume it’s a combination of cutting and unbolting the old one to take it off and like the old Chiltons manuals used to say: “installation is the reverse of removal.”

Learning how a carburetor works and how to rebuild one is child's play compared to some of the other work you're facing.

Replacing the tub would take a lot of pressure off me and my still non-existent welding skills. :) I still don’t really understand how one replaces a tub LOL. I assume it’s a combination of cutting and unbolting the old one to take it off and like the old Chiltons manuals used to say: “installation is the reverse of removal.”

Welding is pretty easy to pick up. Making it look nice is much more difficult.

Learning how a carburetor works and how to rebuild one is child's play compared to some of the other work you're facing.

Hah. No doubt. I've been going through flashes of "what have I gotten myself into" since the vehicle arrived. I keep telling myself "one thing at a time." Its not a DD so I'm not on any time schedule.

Get the thing running right and safe first. Engine/drive train. Brakes. Steering. Front bumper. THEN think about the 1/2 tub. You need to have a few "memorable" drives with your son to get the hunger in him when it begins to come apart.

Get the thing running right and safe first. Engine/drive train. Brakes. Steering. Front bumper. THEN think about the 1/2 tub. You need to have a few "memorable" drives with your son to get the hunger in him when it begins to come apart.
Agree. My plan exactly. The cosmetic stuff can wait. First step is the power plant and tranny.

Looks like its worth getting it road worthy and safe with your son. Get a summer under your belt and by then you can save some money for a tub.
Too bad your not closer to New England. There is a good guy up in Vermont that can build you a tub for a good price. When the time comes reach out.

Looks like its worth getting it road worthy and safe with your son. Get a summer under your belt and by then you can save some money for a tub.
Too bad your not closer to New England. There is a good guy up in Vermont that can build you a tub for a good price. When the time comes reach out.
Thanks! We started work on it today. For the right price on a tub I would cheerfully rent a U-Haul trailer and buzz up to Vermont. 😄

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom