First car, First post (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I'm not someone who is big on having "social media", I'll go as far as email and the occasional facebook reply, but MUD is a place I've lurked in very often.

To preface my love of land cruisers honestly comes from leaving my house everyday and seeing the neighbors overland ready fj40,
as a child it captured my imagination to go farther on paths less traveled. It was a sentiment I held onto, later in my teen years
I came across a treasured dream car of mine for sale locally, a 1976 fj40 factory original barring the sheepskin seat covers and diamond plate.
It was in quite a state, the rust in the usual spots, but the vehicle was all there.
this would have never entered my life it was not for the fact the engine fired up cold with a partially drained battery on the first try.
Wouldn't have believed it if someone told me but I saw it with my own eyes, truly a legendary vehicle.

I'm more of a hands on down an dirty guy so if my formatting or English is weird sorry hopefully some pictures can make up for it;

This is what it looked like when i picked it up, this picture was taken by my mom who had my dad pull over and call to see if anyone had made a offer/had a price in mind

21189.jpeg

not much to look at, the man selling was doing so on the owners behalf and he thought the vehicle was too homely and didn't see why it was so coveted. man if he only knew!

great example of "stock just works" no fuss with this, if any issues came up I was able to find everything I needed to know right here on mud! Didn't have to track down the last person working on it to figure anything out so that was a plus.

Few years later and only a few minor changes the biggest being a new oem style carb and rear heater;

IMG_20200127_135922.jpg

being my fist car it definitely got tons of road time, it was my daily for 2 solid years after all... Driving with a smile came so naturally in it.

Now as most of the mud users can relate to, working on it comes in intervals, without a second mortgage you really cant tackle everything you hope for in one go.
So its little step by little step. but don't be discouraged as even the basics help out. first things I did was replace most the rubber I could afford, tie rods and shocks.
this was super easy and took no time at all to install and see the difference, no costly expenses and only a few curse words thrown while working.

the ol girl is sitting in my shop just waiting to be worked on, needs a full blown engine teardown and rebuild, if anyone is interested I'll keep posting, definitely gonna take some time though.

Thanks for reading and happy cruising!

Welcome to MUD. I'll be interested to hear more of the story and see what progress you've made in the following years.

So how long have you owned it now?

Hell yeah, keep posting! I personally love these stories and pics. Even though I have my own I like reading about other peoples troubles and triumphs.
Btw, my first car was a ‘66 FJ40. But that was in 1982.

Welcome in the Mud/Mad, Mike! 🍷

Your rig looks excellent, a true 653 olive brown survivor, healthy and unmolested!
Some more pics i.e. from the interior, would be just fine.
Keep posting here mate!

I know I have alot of pics saved on a old pc gonna have to track those down, it constantly amazes me how many of the original parts had survived as I'm the third owner and it lived a good life right next to some sand dunes. Adding pictures of the most recent interior shots after a deep cleaning and seat removal. Both front and rear heaters had to be removed due to leaks, can't imagine finding new ones but I was running a bus heater as a replacement for the rear, worked just fine.
IMG_20210301_223203.jpg

IMG_20210301_223251.jpg
IMG_20210301_223030.jpg

Only small shreds of the original seat material was still attached but it blows my mind that the foam has the toyota logo after all these years.

Nice find but be forewarned, this is a terrible addiction. It is almost impossible to only have 1 :rofl:

Mud is the best group of "friends" willing to help when you need a little eduction on getting your truck the way you want it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom