Finished My Rear Swing Away Bumper!! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

If you want to get a very HD spindle that will work great for an application like this, and comes complete with main spindle, oil impregnated bushings, sleeve and collars, go to the Iron Pig website. They sell them complete for like $30 and they will cut them to a custom length for you if needed.

nice bro... building mine right no just have to finish the rack part....looks good

If you want to get a very HD spindle that will work great for an application like this, and comes complete with main spindle, oil impregnated bushings, sleeve and collars, go to the Iron Pig website. They sell them complete for like $30 and they will cut them to a custom length for you if needed.

I looked there, they are actually $45 plus shipping so probably at least $50. I called them and left a message for more detail on a few items and they never called me back so I made my own for about 10 bucks.

Doin' some fine work up there! That looks really great. Make sure to post some pics from your upcoming wheeling trip!

Scott

Doin' some fine work up there! That looks really great. Make sure to post some pics from your upcoming wheeling trip!

Scott

Hi Scott (the P.O.for you other mudders), I still owe you pics of the green monsters first outing but was too busy driving....I'll try to get you something from this weekend. It's been a busy, fun winter, got a Metaltech family cage kit coming next and then some body work (scary!!). I hope all is well with your new 80!?!

Hey Tom,

Nice job! Couple of bits from my experience with a similar tire carrier. You might consider a block or something under the latch end so the arm doesn't bounce or vibrate while driving (unless it's there and I can't see it in the pictures). The other issue you might run into is the latch itself. I'd recommend a second pin or hook to make sure the carrier stays closed even if the latch doesn't. I've had similar latches come open while driving on the highway. Seeing the tire carrier in your mirror during rush hour will definitely get your attention! :eek: The location of the latch also might lead to it getting bashed on rocks or hooked on trees but you'll see if that's the case once you wheel it a few times.

Again, nice work! Might need a little tweeking but then that's part of the fun!

Nick

Hey Tom,

Nice job! Couple of bits from my experience with a similar tire carrier. You might consider a block or something under the latch end so the arm doesn't bounce or vibrate while driving (unless it's there and I can't see it in the pictures). The other issue you might run into is the latch itself. I'd recommend a second pin or hook to make sure the carrier stays closed even if the latch doesn't. I've had similar latches come open while driving on the highway. Seeing the tire carrier in your mirror during rush hour will definitely get your attention! :eek: The location of the latch also might lead to it getting bashed on rocks or hooked on trees but you'll see if that's the case once you wheel it a few times.

Again, nice work! Might need a little tweeking but then that's part of the fun!

Nick

I have had it out the last 2 days and I can see the benifits of a block. And I do like the idea of a secondary lock, I was thinking a pin. I also like the ide of some kind of "stop". I will live with it for a while and mod later. thanks Nick!

This may sound silly but, but I love the "Toyota" and "4WD" emblems on the pass side rear coner and I did not want to cover them up.

haha! me too!
I like the MAF 4+, but the price, and the fact that it covers up those emblems were all kind of negatives.. for now.

I need a cleaner option, don't need the hi-lift jack mount, etc.

Can you post more detailed step-by-step instructions? or are you manufacturing these for sale?

NICE WORK!

haha! me too!
I like the MAF 4+, but the price, and the fact that it covers up those emblems were all kind of negatives.. for now.

I need a cleaner option, don't need the hi-lift jack mount, etc.

Can you post more detailed step-by-step instructions? or are you manufacturing these for sale?

NICE WORK!

Sending you a PM.

First of all, nice work. I too bought a welder and built a similar setup last winter. I used the same style bumper mounts, and spindle bearing. I have a problem with the tire moving back and forth when off roading. I have my tire mounted on the passenger side with the spindle on the drivers side. I'm wondering if I moved the tire to the other side, it would be more stable, ie. next to the spindle. It is extremely satisfying cutting and fabbing together something functional. It's my first bumper but it won't be my last. It's too hot in Bakersfield, 112 today, in the summer to weld though. Gotta wait till fall.

This may sound silly but, but I love the "Toyota" and "4WD" emblems on the pass side rear coner and I did not want to cover them up.

Damn fine reason! And I like the bumper a lot. I too am cursed by the eternally shrinking weld... nothing like having to bow something one way on purpose because it is about to bow the other way by accident.:bang::bang::bang::bang:

If you have a torch, a rosebud tip and a a bit of heating will do away with the bow. heat up the opposite side of the tubing from the weld and let cool. you dont want orange hot, maybe just cherry red at the most. let cool. repeat if needed. Its a fact of life with welding. No way around it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom