Finally painted. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Finally got this thing back together. It was a long road, mostly because of my laziness and a lot of other things going on, took a little over a year.
Definitely far from perfect but nice from far ha ha, gonna get a lot of off road use so will be dirty most of the time and I’m not one to constantly clean so it may not look like this again for a while.
It’s Toyota Army Green and a 1-1 mix of that and a generic black for the trim and snorkel.
Thanks to this site for all the helpful info, still need to touch up some stuff and got a lot more maintenance work I want to do on it.

IMG_7080.jpeg

Got details on the process (what was removed, what was taped off, wet sanded, etc,etc), cost, paint supplies used, labor hours, ---?

Got details on the process (what was removed, what was taped off, wet sanded, etc,etc), cost, paint supplies used, labor hours, ---?
Sorry for the slow reply. This was a garage job, I’ve painted several cars in the past and did some custom painting on bikes but definitely not an auto body pro.

I removed all the trim, hood, fenders, rear hatch and tailgate but not the side doors. I’d I’d spray the jambs but just taped around wires and stuff. Need to remove interior panels to get to the trim clips from the back. Did lose some clips and used those generic black clips to replace them, not the greatest but helped, you could probably find better ones, I just used what I had.

The trim panels use a thin emblem type tape and that was one of the worst parts, bought an adhesive remover wheel for the drill and worked great to get it off the body.. getting it off the panels was a pain and I didn’t do the best job so didn’t get god adhesion in some places. You can find the 1/8”3m tape on Amazon. Also need to replace the trim between the flares and body, im thinking of trying to run a bead of black silicone instead, not sure though.

The factory paint was pretty good except for the fading on the hood and roof. I just sanded everything down, did a little body filler on some dents then used a black epoxy primer/ sealer, helps with getting the color coverage also. Paint was single stage PPG Shopline, pretty cheap paint. Should be easy to touch up if I need to as it’s a solid color also. As a side note I also used 3m scotchbrite pads for scuffing tight spots like the jambs and in tight corners.

Probably miss some stuff but hope this helps.

Thanks for the info.

The "trim" (rubber gasket) between the fender flares and body may still be available from Toyota depending on color but there is also a Mud member who sells a black replacement gasket that fits/works. The clips for the flares may all still be availlable also.

The user selling the flare molding is gone from board, i think. could be mistaken but it looked like someone criticized his pricing and he vanished a short time after.

if anyone has done the gasket/molding recently would like to see photos.

Ok, so here's one link. They aren't exactly the same as the OEM gaskets but do the same job. Check with your local dealer first to see if they're still available, but then the OEM green would be a different shade so maybe black would look OK??

Amazon product ASIN B08CBGGHB8

I bought a set of flare seals from the member here within the last couple of months. so I think he's still selling them.

Ok, so here's one link. They aren't exactly the same as the OEM gaskets but do the same job. Check with your local dealer first to see if they're still available, but then the OEM green would be a different shade so maybe black would look OK??

Amazon product ASIN B08CBGGHB8
Thanks, I checked Amazon but didn’t see that one, looks pretty good and I wouldn’t mind black, my trim and flares are pretty dark.

Love that color! :clap:

I bought a set of flare seals from the member here within the last couple of months. so I think he's still selling them.
How do you like them? I've read some mixed reviews and am thinking about hunting down the factory part.

How do you like them? I've read some mixed reviews and am thinking about hunting down the factory part.
I haven't installed them. I'm still wavering on whether to put flares back on - mine is a trail rig, so I can't decide if they help or hurt. Sorry I can't provide more insight. Factory/OEM is always a safe choice.

OUTSTANDING color choice! Now you just need some personalized plates, and change your user name here. Did I mention there's a subforum for Coleman stuff...?

Screenshot_20230719-121021.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom