Faux hubs on a 1973 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
My 1973 doesn't have lockouts. Makes a pretty good whine when driving around 50 mph. How prevalent are these? I'm putting fj60 hubs and rotors on , so will now have lockout hubs. Just curious how many of these are out there. Guess it would be always turning the front axle shafts?

I never hear of it but im not an expert. There is quite a bit involved when you go to the fj60 (aka large pattern) hubs. You will need the birfs, steering arms and i think a few other items. I tried to go that route on a whim and backed out quickly. Of course i had already dropped money on hubs and racers. It wasnt good for me because I already had a disc conversion.

I do remember in the early 70's a lot of manufactures went that route. Haven't seen many pictures of 55's without locking hubs. Megadoomer, I have most of the components for the conversion. Think I will still need different tie rod ends, but got new birfields to swap the outer course splines. Also have a new hub rebuild kit. Adding a mini truck power steering box. I don't plan on running big tires, so think it should work fine. It's all a process and will surely have surprises along the way.

So glad to have a chilton's manuel for disassembly. Bolts holding backing plate on were safey wired together. Remembering doing saftey wire on C141's nose wheel panels in the Air Force another lifetime ago. When pigs can fly!

image.jpeg

All landcruisers pre 79ish (before Aisin hubs) came to the US port with drive flanges.

The port installed Asco or Warn or rarely none.

I've got a set of hubs on my parts Pig if you want them

Thanks for the offer. I had picked up a set, then decided to upgrade to discs. FJ 60 hubs came with a set as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom