Family Tent (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Hey, we got snow this side of the state today too, but it did not stick around my place.

I setup a new tent today too out of boredom, but it is not a sleeping tent ;)
The Pett system came a week ago.

The tent sets up in about a minute.

I just bought a Pett also,they are pretty cool, definetly a hit with girls in my family.

your gonna love the 1312 we have the 1512 and really like it.

I'm getting ready to buy the 1512 myself for my family of 5, plus a dog and lots of stuff. Can't wait!

You can buy some of the lesser brands, they are usually fine, probably a little heavier, but if you arent backpacking this isnt a huge concern. I have a Eureka tent for backpacking and it has done great for the last 15 years

Hey, we got snow this side of the state today too, but it did not stick around my place.

I setup a new tent today too out of boredom, but it is not a sleeping tent ;)
The Pett system came a week ago.

The tent sets up in about a minute.

Aren't those made for outside use?

:flipoff2:

I'm getting ready to buy the 1512 myself for my family of 5, plus a dog and lots of stuff. Can't wait!

We have 5 in our family also (and a 75# dog).
We bought the Columbia Bugaboo from Cabela's at the beginning of '07 to replace our worn out no-name tent.
Amazon.com: Columbia Bugaboo Four to Five-Person Family Dome Tent: Sports & Outdoors
The Cub Scouts wanted to go out camping to get their Polar Bear patch (over night below 32F) so I decided it would be a good time to try out the new tent. Storm came in and dropped over an 1" of rain in 5 hrs and started sleeting. The Bugaboo was great! The large rain fly kept a lot of the wind out and no water got in. The Cub parents decided it was too cold to stay the next day so everyone else left before 10AM. We hung around to play in the ice and then went home after it all melted (Central TX, it doesn't last long).
It's not going to hold 5 people AND a lot of gear, but for a sleeping hut it works out great. footprint is 12x9 oval.
bugaboo.jpg
TreesRanch.jpg

Last edited:
I'm pretty sure I'm going to pull the trigger on the Columbia Cougar Flats II tent. I found it at Campmor for $256.94 shipped. I really want a two room tent with a "real" wall dividing the two rooms (in order to just heat the kids portion). It seemed to be a good tent from all the reviews I've found.

What I'm wondering is if anyone has any experience with it? And if you do, my old Cabelas tent (which I love), came with all the necessary and auxillary tent posts and guy lines (sp?). My much more expensive North Face meanwhile only came with the minimum stakes and guy lines. So although there are many other options for securing the tent and rain fly, it didn't come with the tent.:frown::confused: Go figure. Anywho, any additional information would be most helpful.

Now I'm looking at a smaller tent when it's just a couple of us, and the big ass Bass Pro Shops XPS 4 room dome tent for the family! I need room for 5 people, a dog, a bunch of stuff, and occasionally a few extra people. My thoughts are, the bigger the better!?

I bought this tent last year and I absolutely love it.

Eureka Pine Lodge - 1 Room 8 Person Cabin Style Tent from Campmor

The door is really cool as it allows my 3 year old to get into and out of the tent without screwing anything up. I broke one of the ridge poles the first day (Got caugt in a car door) and Eureka's support was awesome.

For 200 or less I would definitely have a look at the Eureka tents. They have some pretty decent models to choose from. I recently looked at a Eureka K2 for backpacking and climbing (I don't buy cheap gear, so if I would buy Eureka, you can bet it's decent!).

COPPER CANYON 10 Product we are looking at this one Looks like a good deal ! 150 shipped to Calif. and it should work out fine for me and the wife. This thread helped out alot Thanks

I've been looking for a tent as well.. I looked at the Copper canyon, but I wanted to get one with a dome. Here are a few of the ones that I am considering:

Eureka Tetragon 1210 Family 12- by 10-Foot Eight-Person Tent
Kelty Green River 6 person Tent
Kelty Grand Mesa 6 3-Season Backpacking/Camping

Eureka is getting alot of recommends on this thread, but i haven't heard anyone say anything about the Kelty lines. Right now I am leaning rowards either the Kelty Grand Mesa or the Eureka Tetragon for the following reasons:
1.) Single door (i have young kids, and I don't want them getting up and letting themselves out. It's easier to block a single door.
2.) Its lighter, has aluminum poles, and has a vestibule
3.) Factory taped seams on fly/floor.

I've seen a few reviews at various sites, and all three seem to get good recommendation. Any experiences with Kelty bad or good?

I think that two entrances on a tent is a plus. You could padlock one entrance till the kids get big enough, this way the tent will have a longer useful life with a family.

I've been looking for a tent as well.. I looked at the Copper canyon, but I wanted to get one with a dome. Here are a few of the ones that I am considering:

Eureka Tetragon 1210 Family 12- by 10-Foot Eight-Person Tent
Kelty Green River 6 person Tent
Kelty Grand Mesa 6 3-Season Backpacking/Camping

Eureka is getting alot of recommends on this thread, but i haven't heard anyone say anything about the Kelty lines. Right now I am leaning rowards either the Kelty Grand Mesa or the Eureka Tetragon for the following reasons:
1.) Single door (i have young kids, and I don't want them getting up and letting themselves out. It's easier to block a single door.
2.) Its lighter, has aluminum poles, and has a vestibule
3.) Factory taped seams on fly/floor.

I've seen a few reviews at various sites, and all three seem to get good recommendation. Any experiences with Kelty bad or good?

My brother has a Kelty cabin tent. It's old but has lasted him at least 10 years. It is the reason we wanted to find a cabin tent, we picked up a Eureka Copper canyon 1312.

I say Kelty is good.

I got tired of camping in my Rei Clipper (2 person backpack tent) when I went to GSMTR. So I went out and bought a North Face Trailhead 6. I finally got to use it back in the fall. I am glad that I got it over the Trailhead 8 due to it having a full rain fly and the 8 doesn't. We set camp just a tropical storm set in. We were completely dry in the morning and there was a creek running through our campsite. Three of us and all of our gear in the tent and we still had plenty of room. You can stand in the center section of the tent (6ft) but not in the two side "rooms".

not alot, why do you know something about this tent ?

I had a tent for one week which had rain fly like that, and I took it back because the first camping trip we got soaked by a rain storm. If it is raining hard, that fly will not protect you very well. However, if it does not rain a lot where you camp, it is a great tent.

I ended up ordering the Eureka Tetragon 1210 Family 12x10 8person at Amazon. It was hard to pass up as the price had dropped down to $97 with free shipping (when I first looked at it, it was around $150). I figure for $97, I can't really go wrong, and the reviews from other sites were all positive.

When it arrives, i'll give a review in case anyone is interested.

FWIW, I really like my Eureka Headquarters. That line from Eureka has a heavier floor than some others they sell. Stayed dry in driving rain, as long as it is set up correctly (as with any tent). Use it on every trip with my 2 kids and it has taken a beating over the years.

It is not light and it is not cheap. But it is big, sturdy, well vented, and easy up/down.

I'm pretty sure I'm going to pull the trigger on the Columbia Cougar Flats II tent. I found it at Campmor for $256.94 shipped. I really want a two room tent with a "real" wall dividing the two rooms (in order to just heat the kids portion). It seemed to be a good tent from all the reviews I've found.

What I'm wondering is if anyone has any experience with it? And if you do, my old Cabelas tent (which I love), came with all the necessary and auxillary tent posts and guy lines (sp?). My much more expensive North Face meanwhile only came with the minimum stakes and guy lines. So although there are many other options for securing the tent and rain fly, it didn't come with the tent.:frown::confused: Go figure. Anywho, any additional information would be most helpful.

We have the original Cougar Flats model and it's a great tent. Although we only used it a few times before upgrading (to an RV), I can say it performed wonderfully ... including one evening in the worst rain/lightning storms I've been in. Everything stayed dry!

Great ventilation, plenty of room and no defects. It came with everything needed except a ground tarp. We used a big blue tarp from Costco which fit nice. I don't remember there being anything troublesome or awkward about setup. It was pretty easy/fast with two people.

Good tent. No regrets.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom