Factory speakers (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I recently purchased a 2002 cruiser---back speakers in door and sub are gone bone. Previous owner told me you have to have custom made speakers etc to replace them in the factory locations. Anyone heard truth to this at all? if so any easy work arounds?

I recently purchased a 2002 cruiser---back speakers in door and sub are gone bone. Previous owner told me you have to have custom made speakers etc to replace them in the factory locations. Anyone heard truth to this at all? if so any easy work arounds?
"Gone bone" Does that mean the speakers are gone or they are bad? Sorry, haven't spend much time in LA. I swapped my rear speakers out with a set from Crutchfield. If you have the subwoofer box that speaker can be replaced also. I believe one of our members Brady adventures posted a video on youtube of the swap.

oops . . . this Tuesday is like a Monday . . . gone bad. They are there but barely audible and sound terrible. I figured/hoped I had gotten some bad info and this confirms it. Thanks for help.

There's no worthwhile replacement for the sub, unless you can get really creative and do something few others have even tried. That sidewall sub box isn't made for upgrades. I suggest you get the refoam kit mentioned above and redo the sub speakers. As for the door speakers, Crutchfield has the selection and database to get you speakers that will fit for your budget and fit the truck and they will include the wiring adaptors to make them plug-and-play with the factory harness.

At what point do you know when to refoam speakers? These are untouched from a 2000 LX. Don't know what I'm looking for

IMG_9775.jpeg

You'd refoam if any of that rubber/foam ring was brittle, torn, the glue was worn, or parts have damage. Just by the picture, it looks OK.

I just had two O.E. speakers refoamed by a shop for $40 - they sound great.

I did the subwoofer refoam from simply speakers on my old Land Cruiser which helped get rid of the rattle, but it's still a very weak setup at the end of the day. I would suggest refoaming the sub and upgrading the factory speakers with at least 3 ohm (preferably 2 ohm) replacements if you intent to keep it mostly factory. This should breathe some new life into the factory setup. Beyond this, you'd be looking at upgrading the factory head unit and amp, which I would recommend given the year of your truck. Also, if you upgrade your head unit and amp, you can run 4 ohm speakers. Good luck!

"Gone bone" Does that mean the speakers are gone or they are bad? Sorry, haven't spend much time in LA. I swapped my rear speakers out with a set from Crutchfield. If you have the subwoofer box that speaker can be replaced also. I believe one of our members Brady adventures posted a video on youtube of the swap.

The Brady Adventures replacement was pretty painful to watch with his right wrist in a cast... There are a few other videos so looking forward to replacing mine, too. Still digging around the forum looking at advice. My Mark Levinson speakers just gave their last boom-booms to my 10-year old in the car alone 5 minutes with a new playlist. Lessons learned all around.

The Brady Adventures replacement was pretty painful to watch with his right wrist in a cast... There are a few other videos so looking forward to replacing mine, too. Still digging around the forum looking at advice. My Mark Levinson speakers just gave their last boom-booms to my 10-year old in the car alone 5 minutes with a new playlist. Lessons learned all around.
Perfect excuse to unplug it and leave it be! Bye bye farty sounds until the door woofers give way too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom