Factory Radio Location for a '71? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Need help learning where the radio was installed in my '71 FJ40 FST. It came with the Fujitsu AM radio Part No. 08600-00013. I have the original owner's guide and Warranty Registration Card to prove this, plus it has what looks to be a factory antenna mounted just in front of the driver's side air vent. At some point, the radio was ditched and a CB radio installed inside the glove box hanging from the top of the box. The dash on a '71 has no apparent opening for a radio. Was the original AM radio mounted in the glove box or somewhere else? I'm looking for an original radio on eBay and want to locate it in its original place. Thanks!
IMG_1346.JPG IMG_1347.JPG

From what I understand a factory installed radio wasn't an option until 9/72. Edit: that was the year the hole was added to the dash. Maybe there was a dealer kit or option. Im sure there is someone here that can give you a def answer.

Last edited:
JohnnyC... thanks so much... sorry I did not find that earlier thread. Here is a pic of my steering column mount. It is not apparent that the two end bolts once held a bracket, but there is a single bolt on the left side of the column that clearly held something. Is that the bolt that held the radio bracket I assume? Also a pic of my antenna... do you know if that appears original? Lastly, any info on speaker mounting location would be appreciated. Then the search for OEM parts begins!!
IMG_1348.JPG
IMG_1349.JPG

Upon closer inspection (ie, I put my glasses on), yes the two column bolts held a bracket in the past, and the bolt in between looks like it held the ground wire. Still searching for original speaker location... there are two holes in the glove box floor right behind the door hinge and evidence there was a bracket mounted under the box. Suspect that may be it. Also scored a '70s Fujitsu Ten radio with same Part Number. On my way! I must say, I looked through hundreds of images of FJs and saw none with an original under-column radio!

To close the loop here on the question of where the speaker was located for the dealer-installed Fujitsu Ten radio, I was able to find the original owner of my truck. She said the speaker was on the firewall in front of the passenger seat. She said "if the person in the passenger seat put their feet straight out, they would hit it." She ditched the radio and speaker for a CB radio in the glove box in the '70s... 10-4 rubber ducky!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom