Factory lockers problem/questions (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

On all of the FZJ80 series with autos the lockers are setup to only engage when the transfer case is in low range, this is do in part because you can not lock the center diff unless it is in low range as well. The US model FZJ80 did not come with the center diff lock switch from the factory even though they are wired for it and have a spot on the dash for it. If you have a diff lock switch you should be able to engage the lockers in high range as well as low range. The center diff switch will disengage the ABS (if equiped) as well as lock up the VC center diff and allow front and rear lockers to engage, if you don't have the switch, the high/low lever will do the same thing only when switched into low.

Michael

coldtaco said:
There is what we call a grey wire mod that you can do on Taco's and equivalent 4Runners that will allow you to engage the rear locker any time. Haven't done this since I haven't had a need for it yet. To redeem myself I do have the cable lockers on the 70 :)

Yep, the "grey wire mod" for the 80 series is to install a factory dash switch, wiring is already there. Slee and others sell the factory switch for about 50 bucks US.

Michael

Thanks for all the info, quick update - it was found there was no power to either locker, the auto electrician found a broken wire to the rear but they think theres something wrong with the "4wd Control computer" and thus the front won't work.

Is there a "4wd control computer"??

I've picked it up from the dealer and will take it back in a few weeks for them to have another go....

If the center diff lock is not engaged or if it thinks it is not engaged I dont think the lockers will engages... so that might be what hes talking about (it thinks the center diff lock is not engaged and therefore will not engage the fr/rr lockers)

SamB said:
Is there a "4wd control computer"??

I've picked it up from the dealer and will take it back in a few weeks for them to have another go....

SamB, just a little advice. If you post this question with a link to this thread in the 80 series forum on here. you will probably get more responses by a lot of very experienced people.

but for diesel advice and talk, this is the place. As well there is a lot of helpful people on here. But when asking more specifc 80 series questions especially with lockers involved they can help you a lot.

Thanks for the tip Brownbear, at this stage I'm happy for it to be the dealers problem, but if they can't fix it or don't fix it to my satisfaction then I'll work thorugh it myself, I brought a manual for it which has wiring diagrams etc

I'll post the outcome!!

I got it back from the auto sparky yesterday, front and rear lockers are now working :)

Unfortunately I couldn't find out exactly what the problem was but it does appear related to the 4wd control computer.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom