For Sale Facebook 1966 fj40 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Year
Vehicle Model
  1. 40 Series
Outside Link
https://m.facebook.com/groups/LCMarket/permalink/3403988443178648/
NOT MINE pictures from Facebook group called “Toyota Land Cruiser marketplace”
Posted by Zachary Germain

02BDF6BF-C7B1-40A6-82AE-324DBD8DBCEF.png

CB3259D2-B42A-46C9-ADE4-3AD712AFFDD2.png

0D0D3A57-E117-46A0-8775-30485883B5DC.png

51541CD2-AF24-43F7-BACD-BFB9FE059049.png

Looks like the original plastic protection on the backrest of the rear seats! Very cool!
Like this….
1673489726466.jpeg

Last edited:
It looks like the post accident repair consisted of grafting the rockers and part of the tub of a later forest green fj40 on to the portion of the tub that was undamaged. Explains the forest green underlying the light blue in several places and the later tire carrier on the driver's side instead of the passenger side. Also looks like the rear lower (barn) doors are flipped, maybe to get the license plate holder clear of the tire carrier. One underside photo shows a low quality mating of the two tubs also. Shame, going to take a lot of effort to correct what was a rough gem. May be a fun project for the right person.

Last edited:
Any ideas on why the hard top is missing the curved corner glass? Later model hardtop or not all 66s came with those glass panels?
Actually it is a Jan/1964 according to the VIN tag with a 1966 brass tag. Looks like the original top with a modified tub.

Last edited:
Actually it is a Jan/1964 according to the VIN tag with a 1966 brass tag. Looks like the original top with a modified tub.
Thanks. I am going to put eyes on this tomorrow. I appreciate the info about the tub, I will take a hard look at that repair and decide if it's a deal breaker. I had noticed the reversed tire carrier and questioned that and it all made sense when you noticed the upside down rear lower doors.

Thanks. I am going to put eyes on this tomorrow. I appreciate the info about the tub, I will take a hard look at that repair and decide if it's a deal breaker. I had noticed the reversed tire carrier and questioned that and it all made sense when you noticed the upside down rear lower doors.
Post any pictures you get and encourage the seller to come on here to share his knowledge about his interesting 40. Wondering if the documentation backs up that the very low odometer number? Hopefully the running boards and other original parts are still with the truck.

Last edited:
I spoke with him for a while. He is not a member on here but has looked on here before. The truck was used to plow the parking lot of a transmission shop. The owner of the vehicle was also the owner of the shop so it was in semi capable hands until he passed in mid 2010s. This fellow bought it and it has sat in his garage since. Those rear plastic seat cover are in fact original which in my opinion shows a level of commitment to the vehicle.

I don't think anyone can confirm if the odometer has rolled or not. The original running boards are not with the truck, not sure about other parts but I doubt it based on our conversation.

Overall, there is minimal rust for a new england vehicle by the pictures. They just don't survive up here if they are driven in the winter. I'm a capable welder and I believe could fix that rear sill rot, just need to look on here to make sure I do it right. The fact that it's a Frankenstein tub with the fuel door and wrong tire mount bums me out but maybe it can be made right again. The frame condition is a bit of a mystery but I'll check that out tomorrow. The seller assures me it's good, we will see.

I saw this truck this morning and spent about 45 minutes pawing around it. Zach was very accommodating and helpful sharing the knowledge he has about the truck which is minimal. It runs nice, idles well, spools up smoothly, idles for at least 25 minutes. I drove it back and forth a bit, the clutch engages really high (not sure if that's normal) and it does seem to slip. I took a ton of detail pictures which I will try to upload here. I would have taken more but it was 25 degrees and my phone got cold and shut down. My amateur comments about condition are below. I welcome some feedback to help influence my decision.

F motor runs, looks pretty clean under the hood, has a an electric fuel pump scabbed in.
Underdash wiring appears largely untouched, radio and fuel pump are the only obvious additions to me.
Light blue paint is peeling almost everywhere, there is a green color underneath, is this primer or are many of these panels (including door cards) from a different truck?
Paint is crazed and peeling on the hard top sides.
Roof looks good, I didn't see any cracks.
Driver side floor has been repaired kinda poorly.
Front fender marker lights are cracked.
Rear fender corner lights are bent and cracked.
Rot on rear fenders both sides, someone used bondo at some point to cover on passenger side quarter panel.
Not rot on interior rear sill.
Frame has no cancer that I could find, only surface rust.
Brakes barely work, maybe leaky wheel cylinders.
Bed is certainly wrong, has fuel door, spare tire carrier is wrong, I couldn't find any weld seams for that work. Could the entire bed have been replaced?
Original jack is in the tool box.
No rot on front fenders or hood.
Holes drilled for plow which needs to be removed.

If I think of more stuff ill post it

There are no spare parts.
He does have Toyota side steps from an unknown year.
There are two holes drilled in the passenger side near the hood latch that are 12v. Possibly used to jump start the vehicle or use it as a shop vehicle to jump start dead ones which aligns with the bolted on push cushions on the front number.
Front bumber has holes drilled and is bent.

There are no spare parts.
He does have Toyota side steps from an unknown year.
There are two holes drilled in the passenger side near the hood latch that are 12v. Possibly used to jump start the vehicle or use it as a shop vehicle to jump start dead ones which aligns with the bolted on push cushions on the front number.
Front bumber has holes drilled and is bent.

Thanks for all the pics! So basically this baby was a work horse of sorts; totally fine. I wish the current owner had the history on that crazy tub.

That small plastic bottle under the hood on the drivers side firewall...is that a windshield washer reservoir?

You gonna buy it?? 😅

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom