F Engine Coolant Capacity? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I'm gonna swap out my radiator and water pump and need to know how much antifreeze to buy to refill. I did a search and nothing came up. Thanks.

I'm gonna swap out my radiator and water pump and need to know how much antifreeze to buy to refill. I did a search and nothing came up. Thanks.
Buy 50/50 fill it up to top. Start motor, open heater fill the rest of the way up if it drops. Allow motor to get up to operating temperature and thermostat opens. Fill up completely.

16.6 ltrs or 15.70 qts converted though I did find a site that said 14.2 qts.

Couple of questions. For those of you that have replaced your radiator, or totally drained and re-filled. How much fluid actually went back in? How strong a mixture of antifreeze to water is too much?

I put in a new radiator and it filled up with about 2.5 gallons; 1.5 gallons of antifreeze and 1 gallon of water. I ran the engine until it got up to temperature then turned on the heater for a while. The radiator is full, there has been no settling/dropping of the level.

So is 10 quarts too few, seems like it to me but that is only based upon my expectation (from the Chilton's book) that it should be 17 quarts. Also, is a 60 to 40 ratio to much antifreeze?

Do you have a three row radiator or 4 row. Make sure the heater lines are bled of air and I bet you find the 17 quarts is closer. I have the 4 row and even without the heaters installed mine took 3 gallons.

It is a 4 row. This is my first time doing this, I pulled the lower radiator hose, caught some in a bucket and spent a couple of hours cleaning the rest off the garage floor. I put in the new radiator, connected the hoses up and started filling; 1 gallon of antifreeze followed by 1 gallon of water followed by 1/2 gallon of antifreeze and it was full. Having air in the system would account for the difference, I've not ever bled the cooling system. How would I go about bleeding heater lines? Is there a valve I should look for?

If memory serves, u may have to burp system; radiator cap off; jump up and down on bumper.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom