Expert Help Needed - 1970 FJ40 Rear Sill & Cover Installation/Correct Fit (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello all,

For a little history, my FJ40 already had the rear sill and quarter end cut out so I never seen pieces installed in person. Makes it a lot harder for me in mocking things up. My picture shows just a quick layout of my quarter corner and the sill cover. My questions are:

1. Should the bottom of the quarter corner be flush with the bottom of the sill cover? Just wanted to be sure before I start chopping on the quarter corner.
IMG_0237.jpg

2. The holes on the sill cover for the tire carrier catch seem pretty close to the bottom of the barn door. I don't have the catch (I need to buy one if someone has one for sale), so I can't check to see it is fits without the door dragging on the top of the catch. I put the sill cover so it overlaps the floor inside which is how I saw in videos. Hopefully I am correct with that assumption.
3. Does the gap on the bottom of the sill cover and top of rear bumper look about right?
4. My barn door hinges have a little play in them but the hinge pin would have to be ground out. Do you just put up with the bit of play or is there a fix?
5. I know I will need to drill some welding holes in the cover to weld the the sill member, but when everything seems lined up do you usually drill out the hinge holes in the quarter corners and sill member and add backing plates before you weld it all up?

As this part of my rebuild goes forward I am sure I will have more questions and I really appreciate all the help. I did all the research first and there is not a lot of info out there.

The rear sill between the barn doors is actually three layers on the top half and two on the bottom. The actual rear sill has the floor folded over going down half way. Then a U shaped cap goes over the two sections. I am lucky enough to 68, 70 and 73 with original rear sills to study.

The rear sill between the barn doors is actually three layers on the top half and two on the bottom. The actual rear sill has the floor folded over going down half way. Then a U shaped cap goes over the two sections. I am lucky enough to 68, 70 and 73 with original rear sills to study.
Thank you for the response. I have the long part that goes under the cap. I just temporarily laid the cap in place to check initial fit on the corner caps in my first mockup on fit. As you verified, I assumed the top layers would be the long sill, the cap and floor board. I really at this point need to know if the corner of the quarter bottom should line up with the bottom of the cap. Also, should there be a gap as shown between all the layers and the bumper? Thanks for your help.

1. should align
3. the sill should be sitting on body mounts and be spaced the thickness of the mount. you want the sill (long part) in there when checking the fit of the cap I would think.

Lots of good info here...

1. should align
3. the sill should be sitting on body mounts and be spaced the thickness of the mount. you want the sill (long part) in there when checking the fit of the cap I would think.

Lots of good info here...
Great info. Stupid me initially thought the two holes in the sill were drain holes. Duh... I now see they match up with the rear bumper structure. I will search for mounts or make some. Thanks for the link. Will do more reading. Thanks...

I am still trying to get everything aligned correctly. On your 1970, does the finished outer edge of the sill cover overhang the bumper, or does the bumper hang out a little further than the sill?

Wouldn't be around my 70 for a while. They are prettyuch flush with each other. If anything the sill slightly over hangs rear frame member. But that could just the adjustment between the two.
IMG_2516.JPG
IMG_0367.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom