Exhaust pipe source (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Now that my 40 is alive again, it's time to fix the mufflers again. The header pipes I had made in 1996 are past their prime, and I'm thinking it's time to replace them from scratch.

Any good sources of mandrel bent 2" pipe? Lengths of pipe?

A decent, relatively quiet, muffler that can tame a '72 350... for a moderate price?

I don't want to strangle it... but I also don't want to wear hearing protection.

Good to know... shops are so expensive to get exhaust work done.

I used galvanized electrical EMT mostly because I got it for free. It's heavier wall and galvanized inside and out and you can get 90 or 45 degree bends. Seems to work well been running it for years.
IMG_2502.JPG
IMG_2503.JPG

Last edited:
Does the smell ever go away? Once it's been heated up?

Haha I only noticed a smell the first time I ran it and only till it got nice and hot. Most of that was probably my greasy hand prints all over the pipe burning off.

@seapotato probably never got it hot enough with the 3B... I can't say for sure about this 350, but the last one got things hot. I gave up painting the exhaust manifolds because everything burned off. Online, I've seen pictures of them glowing... although I don't know if mine got that hot.

Definitely want to avoid permastink so I'll have to consider my options.

Does the smell ever go away? Once it's been heated up?

Installed it one weekend, commuted from nanaimo to maple bay, after 2 days I cut it out and went without rather than smell it til I had a chance to replace it with proper ex pipe.

Which honestly, wasn't much more expensive at the time.

Very nearly made me puke at the first stop sign, maybe it would burn in, but wasn't worth finding out for me.

I'm cheap, but not that cheap.

I have had good success finding exhaust systems off usedvic. I was after 3" so buying new stuff can really add up. My cruiser is pushing black through corvette mid pipes and a viper side pipe(stainless) in the rear. All for less than $100. I did have to buy flex couplings but it totalled well less than the $1k for a new system! Bonus is all the couplings and flanges that come with complete systems. Some stock systems are all stainless too...

I've been watching usedvictoria... nothing too useful so far.

What dia. are you after? I have a box of some left over bits from one of those universal flowmaster kits in 2.5" from a previous vehicle. Those could be another option for you, they make a universal duel and single pipe kits. I recall the dual kit being around $300 from Lordco but they don't stock them. If your ever on the mainland, Mopac has a good selection of stuff for a decent price. Many auto supply shops in Vic order from them.

Dual
15936-U-Fit Dual Exhaust Kit – 2.50 in. – universal 16-piece pipes only
Single
15901-Single Tailpipe Kit – 2.50 in. Universal 4-piece pipes only – requires welding

2" I've not got space for bigger. I know 2" single exhaust is somewhat restrictive, but for the current 350 rated at 165 hp it should be adequate. Even with the upgraded RV cam & carb I can't imagine it's more than 200 hp.

Looking at a Walker 18102 muffler for $70 ish and a couple U pipes for $32 each... might also need a couple feet of straight.

2" I've not got space for bigger. I know 2" single exhaust is somewhat restrictive, but for the current 350 rated at 165 hp it should be adequate. Even with the upgraded RV cam & carb I can't imagine it's more than 200 hp.

Looking at a Walker 18102 muffler for $70 ish and a couple U pipes for $32 each... might also need a couple feet of straight.

I took a look and I only have 2.5" bit and pieces...

I've got s pile of parts to pick up at Lordco. For less than $200 I should be able to build an exhaust from the manifolds to the tailpipe. It should flow decently as a Walker stock replacement for my original 1970 Bel Aire muffler p/n 22105. It will be the quietest exhaust on the truck in 30 years.

Must be getting old... or want to be able to explore undisturbed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom