Exedy or Aisin clutch kit? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I've had my 60 for over 16 years and I will be doing a transfer case rebuilt. While I'm in there I plan to change the clutch. I've never had to change it in all my years if ownership. I get some shuddering when on an incline but once rolling the clutch feels okay.

I've seen that rockauto has an exedy and aisan kit. Anyone has a recommendation? I still have the factory engine but I'm moving up to 33.5" tires and definitely will need that clamping force.
If not rockauto, any vender recommendations?

Last edited:
I recently bought a clutch for my BJ60, took me a while to find a AISIN clutch, but I am impressed with the quality. I would personally go Aisin.

I had well respected Mudders suggest this Amazon purchase when I was looking for my clutch replacement

A7179F99-CD64-4968-A8CA-EF5EBF2846B5.png

Be careful buying aisin parts on amazon and eBay. There are lots of fakes out there. I was sure I bought a legitimate aisin water pump from eBay and it is a forgery. If you see a sticker on your parts that says aisin then it’s more than likely fake. Aisin parts are always stamped or cast with the logo. They don’t use stickers.

I've had my 60 for over 16 years and I will be doing a transfer case rebuilt. While I'm in there I plan to change the clutch. I've never had to change it in all my years if ownership. I get some shuddering when on an incline but once rolling the clutch feels okay.

I've seen that rockauto has an exedy and aisan kit. Anyone has a recommendation? I still have the factory engine but I'm moving up to 33.5" tires and definitely will need that clamping force.
If not rockauto, any vender recommendations?
Centerforce has an upgraded clutch kit. I have used centerforce in the past and have been very satisfied. Never had one slip with 33 inch tires and wheeling in heavy wet clay. I do not know the factory spec but centerforce advertises 360lbs of torque rating. Also the clutch effort does not increase saving wear and tear on the hydraulics.

Be careful buying aisin parts on amazon and eBay. There are lots of fakes out there. I was sure I bought a legitimate aisin water pump from eBay and it is a forgery. If you see a sticker on your parts that says aisin then it’s more than likely fake. Aisin parts are always stamped or cast with the logo. They don’t use stickers.
I generally avoid ebay and never bought a car part on Amazon. There are definitely fakes out there and that's why I asked about another vender. I trust rockauto but will check out cruiser outfitters.

I generally avoid ebay and never bought a car part on Amazon. There are definitely fakes out there and that's why I asked about another vender. I trust rockauto but will check out cruiser outfitters.
Can’t go wrong with cruiser outfitters.

Centerforce has an upgraded clutch kit. I have used centerforce in the past and have been very satisfied. Never had one slip with 33 inch tires and wheeling in heavy wet clay. I do not know the factory spec but centerforce advertises 360lbs of torque rating. Also the clutch effort does not increase saving wear and tear on the hydraulics.
Good to hear that. I believe terrain tamer might have something aswell and they get good reviews.
I will be installing 285-75/17 which I believe is a 33.8" tire and that would be my concern. I still have the h42.

See the last few posts in this thread.

I bought a waterpump with the Aisin decal from Cruiser Outfitters, as have others ( @cruiseroutfit has stated that their Aisin parts come directly from Aisin). Someone contacted Aisin directly to ensure that parts with the decal are legit, and it was confirmed. I'm not saying there aren't counterfeit parts out there, but it doesn't appear to be as cut and dry as decal=fake.

See the last few posts in this thread.

I bought a waterpump with the Aisin decal from Cruiser Outfitters, as have others ( @cruiseroutfit has stated that their Aisin parts come directly from Aisin). Someone contacted Aisin directly to ensure that parts with the decal are legit, and it was confirmed. I'm not saying there aren't counterfeit parts out there, but it doesn't appear to be as cut and dry as decal=fake.
Interesting. I’ll give that a read. The pump I have shows signs of someone grinding an embossed logo off the casting. The sticker is placed where the original pump has “aisin” cast into the housing and there’s something stamped beneath it. I assumed it was legit when I installed it and the other day realized it’s not legitimate. It’s the grinding of the casting that makes me think it’s a forgery.

Well, I just read that thread and it seems I stand corrected. I thought for sure I’d been duped. Now that I think of it I may have bought this pump from cruiser outfitters two years ago. The pump I had before that was defiantly not aisin. I had to file part of the housing down to get the hoses to fit.

Last edited:
100% true that some AISIN parts come from AISIN-Japan with the decal and they are 100% authentic, even with the ground off "TOYOTA", "ASCO" or "AISIN"

Sadly it's also true that there are a great deal of fake AISIN products on the market. As we stock/advertise such a great deal of AISIN and Advics products on our websites, we get quite a few emails from China based companies that can provide AISIN parts for less than we are paying. They use AISIN's application guide and part numbers with their branding, totally bogus. We had a vendor send us a set of AISIN hubs to sample. They look 100% the same but weigh 30% less, what metal are they using? Inspect closely and the fit/finish is way lower quality too.

As always, we would love to help with any AISIN parts needs you may have @ Cruiser Outfitters. We stock more AISIN Land Cruiser part applications than any in the US.

100% true that some AISIN parts come from AISIN-Japan with the decal and they are 100% authentic, even with the ground off "TOYOTA", "ASCO" or "AISIN"

Sadly it's also true that there are a great deal of fake AISIN products on the market. As we stock/advertise such a great deal of AISIN and Advics products on our websites, we get quite a few emails from China based companies that can provide AISIN parts for less than we are paying. They use AISIN's application guide and part numbers with their branding, totally bogus. We had a vendor send us a set of AISIN hubs to sample. They look 100% the same but weigh 30% less, what metal are they using? Inspect closely and the fit/finish is way lower quality too.

As always, we would love to help with any AISIN parts needs you may have @ Cruiser Outfitters. We stock more AISIN Land Cruiser part applications than any in the US.
Thank you!! I was browsing through your site and I'm making a list for my diesel 80 aswell.

I recently had Georg put a new 5 speed and a new Aisin Clutch kit in. I had a Spector Extreme clutch that I put in years ago before. I noticed immediately that this Aisin clutch was much easier to push in. Now a few months later I’m noticing this very annoying shimmy upon release of the Aisin clutch. If I hold the clutch and gas just right I can make the whole motor shake. I’m thinking of yanking the trans back and trying a Center Force clutch as this Aisin clutch seems to be struggling to push my 285’s. The Mickey T is a pretty heavy tire. Hopefully the heavier unit will fix it.

I recently had Georg put a new 5 speed and a new Aisin Clutch kit in. I had a Spector Extreme clutch that I put in years ago before. I noticed immediately that this Aisin clutch was much easier to push in. Now a few months later I’m noticing this very annoying shimmy upon release of the Aisin clutch. If I hold the clutch and gas just right I can make the whole motor shake. I’m thinking of yanking the trans back and trying a Center Force clutch as this Aisin clutch seems to be struggling to push my 285’s. The Mickey T is a pretty heavy tire. Hopefully the heavier unit will fix it.

Are you sure the whole truck isn’t shaking from a warped flywheel?

I have a Toyota pickup, that does exactly what you are describing. Im pretty sure it shakes the whole rig from a warped flywheel from extreme off-road use.

Not sure if that’s valid. It’s just what I was told. Hope my new Aisin clutch doesn’t give me trouble.

Are you sure the whole truck isn’t shaking from a warped flywheel?

I have a Toyota pickup, that does exactly what you are describing. Im pretty sure it shakes the whole rig from a warped flywheel from extreme off-road use.

Not sure if that’s valid. It’s just what I was told. Hope my new Aisin clutch doesn’t give me trouble.
No, I’m not sure since it’s been happening since the day it got the 5 speed. I’ve only wheeled it once since. And it was anything but hard.

how many miles do you have on the clutch? Did you do the proper clutch break in? my Spec clutch did this on my drift car but after a while it smoothened out. it was a stage 3 clutch though

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom